Thread: KOs of 1987 Japanese exclusive Headmaster Heads + more

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default KOs of 1987 Japanese exclusive Headmaster Heads + more

The news of this release came out a few days ago. The following Japanese exclusive and ultra rare and expensive heads has been KO-ed and put in a giftset box:

1. Karku (Kirk)
    2. Rodney
    3. Loafer
    4. Lione
    5. Trizor
    6. Shuffler
    7. Spike
    8. Grand (Grand Max head)
    9. Lord Zarak (Scorponok); and
    10. Black Zarak's head

The first 6 has also been KO-ed as their Japan store exclusive, prototype white versions.

This is huge news and definitely major news for serious G1 collectors wanting to finish off the Japanese exclusives. Apart from the Dino-casettes, the 6 Headmaster Heads, especially the white versions, were all but unobtainable even if one had money to blow. I have spent many months and many many hours searching for the originals of these heads in the US, HK, SG, M'sia and Japan, but still came up empty. When I did find them, they were selling for in excess of $500 per head. Griffin would agree with how rare for example, Shuffler is.

According to veteran G1 collectors on TFW2005, the KO versions of these are virtually indistinguishable from the real ones except for the Takara stamps. The plastic quality used is also apparently superior to the vintages and the white heads uses a compound that is yellow resistant (apparently).

Only 1 seller on eBay has these and in the span of 2 days, he must have sold in excess of 30 sets. Each batch of auctions of 10 he/she loads up sells out within the hour. Here is the link. Some members on TFW2005 was already selling, but has sold out of sets, for US$250 each.

I managed to get 1 coloured set and 1 white set with-very-great-difficulty. These could become just as rare as the fabled Cliffjumper upgrade kit (but don't quote me on that).

Some pictures here (not my pictures).

10 heads set giftset box

The white "prototype" versions.
    In the 80s, these were only available on a very exclusive basis in certain retail stores in Japan and by far rarer than the already rare coloured versions. It's so rare that even Transformers: Generations only pictured the white Shuffler but not all the other 5 white heads. According to the seller I bought from, there are only 100 sets of white prototypes KO-ed and once sold out, that's it (if that can be believed).

Last edited by heroic_decepticon; 26th June 2010 at 10:17 PM. Reason: grammar