Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: stupid uni assignment - programming

there are lisp jobs out there which earns a pretty penny... certainly a niche market!

I'm teaching myself Javascript at the moment and while I find a little confusing coming from a VisualBasic background, I do appreciate the simplicity of it.

pfft, stop whinging all of you - i have to design and build a working ECG machine this semester :/

btw, java is gay, C is ok, VHDL is good and thats all i know....

George
    www.mariokart64.com
    --------------------------------------------------------
    "Sometimes, the wrong thing feels so right"
    --------------------------------------------------------

If you are aiming for a career in programming, it will help you to learn a variety of languages. However if you are looking to do anything else in IT, uni becomes a huge waste of time in a practical sense and only good for the degree you earn at the end not the education and knowlege you may get.

My friend studied and got a degree in Network Administration at Uni and because he had no other knowlege outside from the education provided, he is completly useless at IT and can't hold a job because he is deemed as 'incompetent' despite graduating. The same happened to this poor dude who studied many years for a Masters Degree but ended up working at a Call Center instead and even then he struggled as he needed help in setting up Outlook. I really felt sorry for that dude and during my break time I walked over to him to teach him the basics of how to use a Windows desktop.

When I was studying at Uni I noticed that there was a huge amount of time wasted in useless stuff that had no bearing in the real world with most courses requiring you to learn from a text book not a computer. It really peeved me off and wanted to drop out but determination kept me going but at the end illness made that decision for me.

If you are studying IT the worse thing you can do is let uni be your only source of education, try to learn more practical skills yourself and if possible, get a casual job in the industry even if its low level. The IT Industry values experience and skill more than any degree you may have.
    Last edited by kup; 26th August 2008 at 12:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by k.wong23 View Post
    4 mid sems, 1 down, 2 assignments coming up. Been so slack and now everything is catching up, time to cram baby and learn the first half of every subject in 3 days! wooo
    I feel ur pain! But I'm still a slacker!
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Borgeman View Post
    btw, java is gay
    I know, that's why I said I'm learning it. Pink power!