View Poll Results: TFPrime Driller/Knock Out - worth buying?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

8 72.73%
  • Only if...

3 27.27%
  • No

0 0%
  • Not even interested

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - TFPrime Energon Driller w/ Knock Out

Default Toy Review - TFPrime Energon Driller w/ Knock Out

(Please post photos, comments or even a fully comprehensive review - these are just brief details to get you started)

Series - Transformers Prime
    Sub-line - Cyberverse
    Size/class - Vehicle (w/ Legion class figure)
    Wave - 1
    New/remould/redeco - New
    Released here - June 2012
    Approximate Retail Price - $35-45
    Approximate Size - 25cm (Driller) 7cm (Knock Out)
    Allegiance - Decepticon
    Alt-mode - Drill/weapons platform (Driller) Car (Knock Out)
    Main Features/Gimmicks - Spinning Drill, LED light (for lighting up weapons and Cmdr class figures), holds up to 3 figures, launching missiles.
    Main Colours - grey/purple (Driller), red/maroon/black (Knock Out)
    Main Accessories - 2 missiles (Driller), trident & buzzsaw (Knock Out)

Official pic...

What it looks like in stores...

I want these so badly, haha. They look amazing, getting a real Broadside/Quickswitch vibe from Wheeljack's ship. Mmmm, they will be mine!

Decepticon Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Doubledealer View Post
    I want these so badly, haha. They look amazing, getting a real Broadside/Quickswitch vibe from Wheeljack's ship. Mmmm, they will be mine!
    Yes! Me too! Because we live in Wait Awhile, we should start seeing these here in a few days I think.

Liked these so much i bought doubles, so i could have a set out of the box. The legends figures that come with these are very solid figures in there own right.

Quote Originally Posted by Decepticon View Post
    Yes! Me too! Because we live in Wait Awhile, we should start seeing these here in a few days I think.
    Hopefully mate!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Damned View Post
    Liked these so much i bought doubles, so i could have a set out of the box. The legends figures that come with these are very solid figures in there own right.
    Don't blame you, they're a real highlight in the Prime toy line! And come on, who doesn't need a little more Knockout in their life.

Got mine from big w mirrabooka today. Still some left
    Recent Additions:
    Robosen Auto Converting Optimus Prime
    Incoming:
    Canon Optimus
    Wishlist:
    MP Jazz, MP Ricochet, MP Waspinator
    Selling:
    Lots, just need to sort it out.
    Looking For:
    Seige Cyberton upgrade Optimus Prime

Decepticon Guest

Quote Originally Posted by KaRNiV8L PRiME View Post
    Got mine from big w mirrabooka today. Still some left
    Got mine from Kmart today. $35 minus staff discount

Got mine from Kmart today. $35 minus staff discount
    $35 is a great price. I was alerted to it by a board member late last night (you know who you are ).
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    $35 is a great price. I was alerted to it by a board member late last night (you know who you are ).
    group text....
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Finally opened mine today (t'was a bday gift from the missus ). The Knock Out figure itself is quite nice. The Driller vehicle itself is lacklustre -- even more disappointing that the Star Hammer, if that's possible. In principle it's much like a Beast Machines Beast Rider, only better executed. The LED gimmick does work better on the Driller than Star Hammer's... having said that, it's still pretty poor - only the first section of the drill illuminates -- the light fails to travel beyond that. Still, it's the best electronic light pipe gimmick I've seen in TF Prime so far (which goes to show how crap TFP's LED light pipe gimmicks are ).

The actual drill spinning gimmick is pretty fun, reminds me a lot of Beast Wars II Galvatron (only not quite so phallic ). I like how it spins as the vehicle rolls, and it does it pretty well. It then deploys into the battle mode where the roll-spinning gimmick no longer works, but instead you can press a button to make the drill spin. Erm... okay (seems rather complicated just for its own sake). It seems that the "deployed" mode is meant to be a stationary battle platform whereas the "undeployed" mode is more of a moving vehicle mode, so there is some merit in trying to make the two modes serve a different function and offer different play patterns, as opposed to the Star Hammer which transforms from a spaceship into a spaceship with bits sticking out.

QC issue: One of the side pop-up launchers on mine keeps getting caught when deploying, so I have to use my finger to wedge it out in mid-deployment.

Overall there seems to be a bit more thought put into this toy in terms of giving the two modes separate play patterns, but in execution it doesn't seem to have translated as well. The Cyberverse playsets are all just pretty plain. Across the Cyberverse playsets I've collected from DOTM and TFP, I've yet to come across one that's as cool as a Micromaster playset. The Ark w/ Roller comes the closest, though given the relative vintages and prices, I still find it inferior to the Micromaster sets.

I'd recommend this set only if you really want the Driller and you can get it on sale (currently $35 at Kmart or $38 at Big W). Knock Out himself is a nice figure, and I like the weapons that he comes with - but not sure if I'd recommend getting the whole kit and kaboodle if you're only interested in the figure. Might be better off waiting for the Deluxe or maybe split/sell the vehicle with someone else who may not want the figure - because unlike Wheeljack/Star Hammer, Knock Out isn't as strongly associated with his vehicle. IMO it looks better with a Legion Class Vehicon at the controls, which is how I'm displaying mine.