Ozformers Transformers Club of Australia


Go Back   Ozformers Transformers Club of Australia (otca.com.au) > Info and Activities > Board Info, Member Intros & Suggestion Box

Sightings/Sales

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 21st September 2015, 10:50 PM
Paulbot's Avatar
Paulbot Paulbot is offline
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member
 
Join Date: 27th Dec 2007
Location: Chadstone, Vic
Posts: 14,125
Default

Quote:
So basically, people can donate as much or as little as they want (in multiples of $10). Of that, only $10 per year is donated to the running costs of this site, and the rest of your "Cubes" are in your account to be used for prize entries and priority access to anything I can manage to organise for our 20th anniversary, and beyond.
I dunno, I'm a little put off by this. I am not that keen to fund prizes/competition entries that I'd happily sit out. So as it reads now I would donate only $10 when I could and would prefer to donate more to the site upkeep.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 21st September 2015, 11:17 PM
griffin's Avatar
griffin griffin is offline
Rank 10 - Admin
 
Join Date: 24th May 2007
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 31,680
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
I dunno, I'm a little put off by this. I am not that keen to fund prizes/competition entries that I'd happily sit out. So as it reads now I would donate only $10 when I could and would prefer to donate more to the site upkeep.
The wording might need touching up, but people who have earned "Cubes" with donations, are not paying for the prizes with their donations.
Those people who voluntarily "pay" (donate a cube) to enter a competition are the ones paying for the prize.
If you only want to donate to the running of the site, or even if you don't want to donate anything, it is all at your choosing. Nothing will be forced or required for regular access to this site.

I just think that we need some sort of incentive or reward scheme in place for those donating, otherwise it isn't fair to get the exact same access & features as those not donating... even if the donors are happy to selflessly donate, I wouldn't feel comfortable about it.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 25th September 2015, 03:01 PM
spiderken17's Avatar
spiderken17 spiderken17 is offline
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member
 
Join Date: 3rd Jul 2012
Location: Blue Mountains
Posts: 1,618
Default

I don't know that the competition parts and energon cubes is really needed. I used to be part of another forum that just asked for a $10 donation each year to keep the site running. Most members payed it as they want to keep their forum running and we just had "donating member" below our username.
I would think the majority of members on here would gladly pay $10 a year to keep the site running without the need for any comps. I know I would.
It would also make any legalities easier as they are simply donations.
The comps and what-not could be rolled out at a later date if it was necessary but I would simply ask for a donation first and see how many members are happy to pay it.
Just a thought
__________________
Spiderken Away!
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 25th September 2015, 09:01 PM
BruiseLee's Avatar
BruiseLee BruiseLee is offline
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member
 
Join Date: 22nd Feb 2014
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,848
Default

Not sure if this has been discussed in the past but is taking advertising a possibility for the site? This and energon cube donations would likely work well to meet expenses. Maybe a sponsor like Depends for incontinence as we tend to lose our shit over the latest MP news.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 25th September 2015, 09:09 PM
Megatran
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I get bombarded with Asian, Thai, Russian women ads on the internet. I go to sites like OTCA to get a little bit of relief.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 25th September 2015, 09:52 PM
griffin's Avatar
griffin griffin is offline
Rank 10 - Admin
 
Join Date: 24th May 2007
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 31,680
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderken17 View Post
I don't know that the competition parts and energon cubes is really needed. I used to be part of another forum that just asked for a $10 donation each year to keep the site running. Most members payed it as they want to keep their forum running and we just had "donating member" below our username.
I would think the majority of members on here would gladly pay $10 a year to keep the site running without the need for any comps. I know I would.
It would also make any legalities easier as they are simply donations.
The comps and what-not could be rolled out at a later date if it was necessary but I would simply ask for a donation first and see how many members are happy to pay it.
Just a thought
The trial year will be emphasising to only donate $10, in case I can't make competitions work, or organise anything exclusive for people to need to donate extra lots of $10 to access... but I want to have the "Cube" feature there as a way to easily keep track of who has donated, and how much (and so that those people know that I know they have donated... because I'm not comfortable giving people a "donor" label under their username because it then highlights those people unwilling to donate, like sporadic users or underage users who don't need the extra peer pressure of looking cheap).
And if by chance this concept is popular and easy to follow, the Cubes have the potential of being currency for (spent on) Ozformers exclusives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruiseLee View Post
Not sure if this has been discussed in the past but is taking advertising a possibility for the site? This and energon cube donations would likely work well to meet expenses. Maybe a sponsor like Depends for incontinence as we tend to lose our shit over the latest MP news.
Advertising is not something I'm too keen about because it is easy to get out of hand and your computer screen ends up being 50% Transformers content, impacting on the actual articles (with imbedded links, ebay auctions between article & images, or half the right-hand side is advertising which reduces the size of images and lengthens paragraphs/posts).
If it was required (to fill a gap if the donations don't raise enough), it would be as minimal as possible, like a thin banner across the top for toy dealers who want to advertise here, or for members to promote their sales or collector events they are selling at or organising.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 27th September 2015, 11:31 PM
Raider's Avatar
Raider Raider is offline
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member
 
Join Date: 21st Jul 2014
Location: Sydney
Posts: 2,294
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin View Post
Advertising is not something I'm too keen about because it is easy to get out of hand and your computer screen ends up being 50% Transformers content, impacting on the actual articles (with imbedded links, ebay auctions between article & images, or half the right-hand side is advertising which reduces the size of images and lengthens paragraphs/posts).
If it was required (to fill a gap if the donations don't raise enough), it would be as minimal as possible, like a thin banner across the top for toy dealers who want to advertise here, or for members to promote their sales or collector events they are selling at or organising.
I'm actually very pro advertising. It serves a purpose and at the end of the day if the user doesn't like it use Adblock Plus. Banners for transformer stores that we all frequent is actually convenient (I know I browse those sites often and a quick link would actually be useful) and even current ebay or gumtree listings could show something you have been looking for.

The main point is, if it helps raise funds to cover costs I'm all for it when people can just block the ads if they really want to.
__________________
Check out my:
Collection Thread
Want's List
Sales Thread
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 27th September 2015, 11:59 PM
griffin's Avatar
griffin griffin is offline
Rank 10 - Admin
 
Join Date: 24th May 2007
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 31,680
Default

Yes, if Advertising is beneficial and not over-imposing, it would be considered... but if that decision was to be made, I would want to have the blessing of the majority of senior (active) members first, as they are the ones who will be most affected by it.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 2nd October 2015, 03:27 PM
tron07's Avatar
tron07 tron07 is offline
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member
 
Join Date: 3rd Jan 2008
Location: Sydney
Posts: 744
Default

Your hosting fees is very expensive... there are a lot of cheaper options but still offer pretty good services available. US hosts are even cheaper then Australia hosts, but time differences will be an issues if you run into issues and need helpdesk support.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 2nd October 2015, 03:43 PM
griffin's Avatar
griffin griffin is offline
Rank 10 - Admin
 
Join Date: 24th May 2007
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 31,680
Default

It used to be more expensive when I was hosting attachments, but the costs were just getting too high and it was switched off.
The US do have much cheaper hosts, but there is a time lag (the board logo at the top is hosted on the Toycollectors domain which was set up to host images on a cheaper US host site, and as such the board logo loads slower than the rest of the board).
The board itself needs to remain local, for customer service and speed, but that doesn't mean I can't move it to a better Australian host if one exists that can host a php/mysql database (some don't) and our amount of traffic in peak times (the host before the current one noted that this site was their highest traffic site after the spike of one of the Toyfairs).
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 05:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.