Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Google Chrome

I use Opera and I'm very happy with it so no interest at all some big corporations play for market share
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

I gave Chrome a whirl at work yesterday (to check our websites) but haven't installed it at home. I use Firefox mostly at home, although it seems to churns a lot of memory to start up. And I do use Opera occassionally.

I will install Chrome though on the computers that multiple family member use because the Incognito feature is good. There are some websites I visit I'd prefer others not to find in the history or to autocomplete in the address bar!!

Quote Originally Posted by MV75 View Post
    I hope you're at least running it in a vmware session.
    What exactly are you afraid of? You sound like my mum with her myriad virus scanners and security programs! Read a book! :P

I'm of the opinion that many of the judgements mentioned here really miss the boat. Chrome is not trying to compete against your desktop applications like Firefox or Opera. Chrome boldly tries to be the operating system of the web. Google isn't really in to desktop applications. They believe the web is the future forefront of computing. Microsoft knows this too, which is why they crushed Netscape and have had their worst fears realised with the onslaught of Google web applications, and now Chrome. The Chrome interface is designed like a Mac or Windows operating system window... only giving you the bare, crucial essentials as to not get the way of the TRUE content, which is what is INSIDE the window.

Firefox gained popularity for its simplicity... for not getting in the way of the web. Safari took that simplicity further, arguably at the risk of features, and now Chrome makes the two of them look complex.

As far as a decent bookmark manager, I have no problem with this. About two years ago, I through away my acquired collection of 200 or so bookmarks because I had superseded my need for them with:

1. A dedicated RSS reader
    2. Location history (for frequently viewed site)
    3. The index at Google.

In the same time it would take me to navigate through hundreds of bookmarks or to search through them, searching in my browser's Google field yielded even more capable, more up to date, more aptly described results.

Now, as with everything, Chrome isn't for everyone, and while you might find this surprising after my comments, it isn't for me either. Chrome is targeted to those among us who extensively use web apps instead of desktop apps, e.g. those who use Gmail instead of Outlook, Flickr instead of Photoshop Elements, Del.icio.us instead of a bookmark manager, Facebook instead of MSN, Lastfm instead of iTunes, etc. While these are the tools of many of my peers, more importantly, these are the tools of the upcoming generations. The operating system as we know it is becoming increasingly irrelevant. Google knows this and has just released a beta of the operating system of the future. It's bold as hell, it IS the future, and to me, the most enjoyable part, it is Microsoft's greatest fears realized.

And MV75, if you're so concerned about vectors, you should stop using Windows

From a purely work oriented perspective, I am not too enthusiastic about another new web browser ... because being from Google, it has potential to be used by more and more people. And for me, it's another web browser to check the pages against when building websites, which means more work. :0

well just remeber it is still just a beta. on another note i installed it yesterday and i like it, it seems to load webpages alot faster, hopefully they release a complete version soon.

well said JD!

Quote Originally Posted by jaydisc View Post
    Still, its some corporations power play for market share, right?
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

MV75 is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by jaydisc View Post
    Nah, I'm not going there. Linux nerds arn't worth it. They'll never realise the scenario:

Ok, I've got my smoothwall box secured behind my modem/router, and the firewall on my one computer connected to it is accepting traffic through port 80/25 only, and I'm at the command prompt as the GUI just gets in the way. Now what can I do........ Oh shite........ I know! I can twiddle my thumbs and then do the finger pyramid of evil self satisfication while thinking of how secure I am compared to everyone else....... then I think I'll go jack off to some anime as that's all that's left that I can do.

5 seconds later...... I better go check the blog of the project to see if there are any more updates..... Oh cool! There is! It fixes a pixel that is out of alignment on a picture of tux, I better get that one! Plus I have a spare two hours to recompile the core so that the update is applied. Those windows guys don't know what they're missing.
    Code:
    O o 
      _
     / --------------------------------
    |      IMMA FIRIN MA LAZAR!!!
     \_--------------------------------

MV75 is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by STL View Post
    Still, its some corporations power play for market share, right?
    And google is doing what now? You do realise how big they are right?

This is so ironic it hurts. I can't believe you guys, blinding jumping on the largest corporations buggy crap like its pure diamonds in melted gold.
    Code:
    O o 
      _
     / --------------------------------
    |      IMMA FIRIN MA LAZAR!!!
     \_--------------------------------