Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 OTCA Christmas Appeal

The next Parra fair would be a good time to bring stuff.

ive got a few sealed things i no longer need, would be more than happy to donate

Quote Originally Posted by Hursticon View Post
    I just think that there should be options because I think what can deter people from donating things is being told unreasonably what they can and can't donate, I'm not suggesting anyone is doing that just that I was brought up with the belief that one must be thankful for what they are given and not to bite the hand that feeds you.
    This is very true.

I agree that there are others around the world that need help and I know that Australians are generally better off, but then we have fought that privilege and some have unfortunately fallen through the cracks, hence why I believe that we should look locally first.

I think the suggestion Seraphim is certainly not without merit though, I feel sorry for those over in Africa who live under oppressive regimes and those who are affected by natural disasters - but maybe seems this is more or less our first drive, per say, maybe we should take Baby steps first?
    True, true. The organisation i suggested closes donations today anyway - otherwise there isn't enough time to distribute them before Christmas. I was proposing it for next year if people are keen, as it is one which doesn't require such a centralised organiser, and can be done state by state, or individual by individual.

I'll repeat that I'm happy to be part of whatever the group as a whole / STL decides upon.

A little to the left... a little bit more...

Quote Originally Posted by loophole View Post
    awesome idea!! i would gladly help out
    Quote Originally Posted by BigPenney View Post
    I would certainly like to help out with this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutsman Heavy View Post
    I've a lot of TFs that I haven't been able to/to lazy to sell. Not new but in good condition, would they be alright?
    Perhaps we could send them together as a group... the SA contribution..?

Either way - I'm happy to be included in this too!

After a week of phone tag, I just got off the phone with the Johnny from Orana Family Services. He’s the Program Manager for the Residential Care program at Orana. I explained to him our idea and he was very, very enthusiastic about.

He was very much on board and loved the way we pitched it. He loved the fact that we’re sharing something that sparks creativity and imagination as well as the learning of process and engineering that is embedded in toys like TFs and Lego. It was a big part of our childhoods and we’d like it to be part of their’s. He loved that.

He said it would be great for a lot of these kids who have been through tough times because they don’t often get something like a TF or Lego that they could really call their own. Even more so, he said that many would love one but probably never imagine having one because of their circumstances so he was very excited for what this would offer many of the kids he works with.

A bit about the Residential Care Program.

The kids that are in the Residential Care program range anywhere from 6 to 12. Some Johnny explained are a bit older but that’s because they often want to preserve the relationship and connection they’ve built up with the kids who have lived there for many years of their lives. The kids can be there for any number of reasons but it often stems from a breakdown in the family structure at a young age. Like every other kid, they go to school but when they come home, they go not to their home but to the residential care centre where they live in a small community of other kids.

Here's a linky.

We tried to organise a meeting for this week but he’s on leave for a week as of tomorrow and not back till the first week of December. In the meantime, he’s asked me to liaise with a lady named Katie who’s one of his case managers. We’ll be meeting next week to nut out a few more details such as age of kids/how do we determine what’s appropriate to which child?/pre-wrapped or will they wrap?/etc.

Johnny said as well he would love to meet up with us. I explained that we’re pretty much spread across the country but that it was possible for those based in Melbourne If anyone in Melbourne (or might in Melbourne in the first week of December), let me know and I’ll try and organise a meeting for all of us with him. He’d love to learn a bit more about us and how to make it easier for us to donate as well as thank us for what we’re doing. He said it wasn’t everyday that people called up helping little programs like his and he very much wanted to express his deep appreciation to us.

Next steps
    Address and other details will hopefully be ready by next week. I’m having a look into the second charity right now as well and am leaning towards Queensland. But as always, any suggestions, do let me know!
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

Guessing that they are not just boys, so I was going to suggest maybe picking up some girls toys as well, like My Little Pony or something as well for some of them.

Also, I will be doing a pickup at the Parra fair for those that want to donate anything. Once we hammer out more of the details I will post it off to where it has got to go.

Quote Originally Posted by 1AZRAEL1 View Post
    Guessing that they are not just boys, so I was going to suggest maybe picking up some girls toys as well, like My Little Pony or something as well for some of them.

Also, I will be doing a pickup at the Parra fair for those that want to donate anything. Once we hammer out more of the details I will post it off to where it has got to go.
    So I can give you the bits and pieces I want to donate?
    HATRED FOR JAMES VAN DER BEEK RISING!

Still have some stuff for sale. Free pickup at Parra Fair
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8503

Quote Originally Posted by Bartrim View Post
    So I can give you the bits and pieces I want to donate?
    I'll take it on to be the collection person yea. Just easier and more efficient I reckon for one person to collect it all and send it off as one. More cost effective as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 1AZRAEL1 View Post
    I'll take it on to be the collection person yea. Just easier and more efficient I reckon for one person to collect it all and send it off as one. More cost effective as well.
    I agree. Also is this only MISC/MOSC complete stuff? No loose stuff this year correct?
    HATRED FOR JAMES VAN DER BEEK RISING!

Still have some stuff for sale. Free pickup at Parra Fair
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8503

Quote Originally Posted by Bartrim View Post
    I agree. Also is this only MISC/MOSC complete stuff? No loose stuff this year correct?
    Sealed stuff I think for the first time around. We will look into loose stuff for next year I think.