Page 23 of 1041 FirstFirst ... 31318192021222324252627283343 ... LastLast

Thread: Transformers questions by newbies, and not-so-newbies

Hey guys, did the Galaxy Force toys come with little collector cards? The reason I ask is b/c I'm trying to figure out if it's worth buying a certain figure loose or should i chase down the MISB one.

Not sure if these questions have been asked before (don't have time to read through 22 pages of text), pardon me if posted already.

I also realise there may be more than one answer depending on the continuity.

[1] Origin of triple changing ability. I read that they were a result of Shockwave's experiments (I think this was from the DW comics).

Any other information anyone can shed on this?

[2] Origin of Sixshot ?

[3] Origin of combiner technology. According to the IDW Spotlight: Optimus Prime, it stated that Jihaxus introduced this via an experiment that resulted in Monstructor.

I am interested in finding out if there are any other origin stories.

[4] How Transformers are created / made. Primus? Vector Sigma? Matrix? Some combination of all three?

[5] Why does Alpha Trion seem to "age", whereas some other characters do not (well at least they don't seem to grow beards)?

Thanks.

for DW yeah, shockwave experimented on Blitzwing and triple changing resulted

2?

3. Yeah Monstructor was the first gestalt attempt, see Optimus Prime Spotlight

As for how they are created, it depends on which universe you are looking at.

G1 Cartoon, Optimus and our heroes are descendants of consumer goods robots that rebelled against their masters/creators the Quintessons. In G1 cartoon Vector sigma gives life to the Stunticons and Aerialbots, Ultramagnus even states in the Rebirth that Vector sigma is "The computer that gave us all life" Maybe the tfs used it to make more tfs after the quints left cybetron.

Marvel Comics G1 and Beast wars and the Cybertron universe want us to believe the tfs have a god who made them.

Alpha trion ages because he is one of the original 13 tfs ever built, he is more then meets the eye

[1] Yeap. It was revealed in the second G1 series IIRC. Apparently there were a few screw ups along the way and Shockwave didn't perfect it until he developed Sixshot.

From the DW MTME book (I'm reading it just now): it suggests that TFs have trouble coming to terms with the triple changing ability and that it takes a certain mindset (hence a special personality) to become a triple changer. One of the other facts I didn't know is that triple changers change between modes faster than normal transformers.

I find it really interesting how it suggests that inability to accept three modes can cause mental instability of some kind. That might explain why Blitzwing was depicted in the first WW series as being in 3 modes but in jail and unstable in WW: the Dark Ages. The issue of relapsing into a mental problem would be a first for TFs. Also the books says Springer in fact was the first Cybertronian to be problem free of the process.

[2] I don't think there was in Headmasters. He just appeared out of nowhere and became a force to be reckoned with. No origin. IDW don't have one for him either. He's just a powerhouse. Marvel comics didn't even feature him IIRC. DW offered the most information on his origin imo b/c it suggests he evolved from Shockwave's duocon technology.

[3] For IDW, as you said.

At DW, it was part of the escalation in the arms race. Megatron authorised the Constructicons to find a way to develop a process to combine 5 robots. They tested it on themselves and suffered. The technology was always unstable according to DW continuity and very hard to perfect. Even the later Autobot gestalts had trouble.

[4] ?

[5] Alpha Trion is well, Alpha Trion. Kup does technically age too b/c he gets more wrinkles as some artists have been inclined to stress. I can't explain why though.

benben2142 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dirge View Post
    Most likely some sort of Australia Post abbreviation, benben.

At this stage, I recommend waiting a day or two, your stuff is likely at the Arundel Mail Centre, waiting for dispatch to your house.
    How do you know Arundel? Also my package arrived yesterday at 1:06 pm the card was left at my home.

Okay i've been using reprolabel stickers for newer rubsigns on some of my TFs whose rubsigns are either damaged or there's none at all (prev owner must've removed it). I've been using my source books to find where they usually are stuck, but I have encountered a few which don't show where they should be. I don't want to just stick them anywhere in the bot which would make it look more unauthentic in the first place. Usually I find that there is this square spot that is in the mold as an added guide of the bot but others don't. Just a little help then guys, where should the rubsigns go for these bots?

1. Sludge
    2. Quickswitch
    3. Jetfire
    4. Sky Lynx
    5. Dreadwind
    6. Darkwing
    7. Landfill
    8. Scoop
    9. Slapdash
    10. Crankcase
    11. Windsweeper
    12. Dogfight
    13. Backstreet
    14. Override
    15. Camshaft
    16. Downshift
    17. Overdrive
    18. Grimlock
    19. Firecons
    20. sparkabots

Also another query is that do all Pretenders have no rubsigns at all? All my pretenders seem to have none..

Thanks!
    Last edited by liegeprime; 27th February 2008 at 09:05 AM.
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Liegeprime... Of the top of my head I've got a strong feeling that none of the new 1988 toys had the rub signs. I'm certain the Pretenders didn't. That would rule out most of your list. Also if I recall correctly Sludge's should be on one of his wings.

Sam....

[3] In the G1 comics Shockwave invented the combiner technology and built the Constructicons. The Autobots had to steal the process to build Superion.

[4] Again depends on what you're watching/reading. This resource summaries the most common ways
    http://www.tfrid.com/fanfics/mini/reproduc.htm

One of the other facts I didn't know is that triple changers change between modes faster than normal transformers.
    As I said to you yesterday STL you need to read the Tech Specs
    http://www.physics.ohio-state.edu/~s...ecs/g1-bot.txt
    http://www.physics.ohio-state.edu/~s...ecs/g1-con.txt

Astrotrain's tells us: "As a Triple Changer, can switch from space shuttle to train to robot almost instantaneously."

I like the 'comics method' the best. In the cartoon it was a little inconsistant and opened to retroactive interpretation (EG: Did Prime use the Matrix 'off camera' to give life to the Dinobots?).

The comics method makes more sense and I like the balance of Fantasy and Sci Fi that they have:

From the comic book:

"Big Papa" method:

The holder of the Creation Matrix (who is usually the Autobot Leader) can use said Matrix to create a new Transformer mind. The body of this new life must be built independently, however. As seen with the Constructicons and Jetfire.

"Budding" method:

Any Transformer may create another, by tapping into a program built into all Transformers by Primus. Similar to a hydra budding its offspring, a new body will form somewhere on the the old one, quickly gaining sentience, and springing from the old body within (presumably) 15 minutes or so. These bodies are fairly generic, probably because the program is the same for every Transformer. After the new body has separated from the parent, Primus will imprint his designs on the new body, giving it a mind, a body form, and an alternate mode. As seen with Lord Jhiaxus.

"Bigger Papa" method:

Primus, a defender of order and the sentient core of Cybertron, can create a new Transformer from the body of the planet. This process is identical to the 'budding' process. As seen with an unknown Transformer in Generation 2 #5.

(Note: Methods 7 and 8 are no longer possible, due to the death of Primus.)
    It is possible that the "Budding" method is used in the Maximal era of the G1 continuity. The protoforms seen in Beast Wars fit the 'offspring's' description accurately:
    These bodies are fairly generic, probably because the program is the same for every Transformer.
    This also explains why the Maximals and Predacons have a 'lineage' that goes back to G1 Autobots and Decepticons and why Arcee is Rattrap's great aunty as well as Blackarachnia not wanting to allow BW Megatron to kill G1 Optimus Prime (chaging the time line) as she was a Maximal Protoform and therefore descended from Autobots. The part of "same programming for every Trasformer" may also explain why some recently former protoforms happen to choose sides despite the faction that they are originally descended from such as Silverbolt and Quickstrike who were not affected by Megatron's Shell program but each chose the faction they wanted to join on their own.

The above may be possible as the Beast Wars cartoon borrowed heavily from both the comics (G1&G2) and the cartoon. The writers also appear to have chosen the Comic origin as the past for Beast Wars too since Primus is part of their history and believes.
    ________
    Desoto Diplomat
    Last edited by kup; 22nd March 2011 at 03:36 PM.

Thanks Paulbot! Then that simplifies things for me. I can stick em anywhere in the bot (well the ones that doesnt have rubsigns in th efirst place) now. i've found some parts of em that will look nicely with a bit of a rubsign on top .
    Cheers!
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Hmm I was hoping someone else would back me up on my memory since I don't have access to my toys or reference materials at the moment.... but I think it's safe to say if there's no obvious groove for the sticker they probably didn't have one.