Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Re-Chroming bits and pieces how to guide

Default Re-Chroming bits and pieces how to guide

I have been asked about re-chroming G1 bits and pieces, and thought to share with you all on how i have done it to a couple of my figures

now here i have a junker Springer a G1 Pipes that just needs a touch up, 1200 wet and dry sand paper, a silver uni paint marker from any local newsagent, chrome in a spray can, and some 2inch tape that is available from Bunnings or most automotive stores

first of all i'll start with Springer now what i have done here is sand the chromed area with 1200sandpaper with a little bit of water, after which i dryed off with a towel

now i have masked out the chrome parts so that none of the paint will go on the rest of the figure like so

then after the masking out just spray enough coats of paint to cover the plastic with the chrome paint and leave to dry for at least an hour or so then unmask and your done

next up will do the tip of Pipes smokestacks here is the before shot

and now i just grabbed the pen marker and coloured the worn part of the chrome and ta do!!! this only really works for small areas like ends of gun tips and such

and the two together with the end results

i hope that helps

That's what I did with some of my worn toys too and although it is a massive improvement, it doesn't have the same shine as real chrome.

How does your result look in person? If its as good as it looks on the pics, you have a really good brand name paint pen.

looks good in person and yeah the spray does dull off a bit but still a massive improvement and the pen works really well as you tend not to notice it as i only use it for minor touch ups

It is a pretty good result. Where did you get the can?

I got the same stuff... bought it from Bunnings. Can't remember how much though.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    It is a pretty good result. Where did you get the can?
    i dont know where the can is from as my dad bought it maybe big w

Thanks heaps for the guide loopy. The touchups done on pipes' smokestacks look great. It would've been good to see the springer chrome piece stay the same after the paint app, but it did dull off a little after drying. It still looks much better than the untouched original though.

I'm going to give this a test shot on some worn g1 tape weapons first and see how I go.

I've got the same question too though - Where to get the spray can?

Quote Originally Posted by canofwhoopass_87 View Post
    Thanks heaps for the guide loopy. The touchups done on pipes' smokestacks look great. It would've been good to see the springer chrome piece stay the same after the paint app, but it did dull off a little after drying. It still looks much better than the untouched original though.

I'm going to give this a test shot on some worn g1 tape weapons first and see how I go.

I've got the same question too though - Where to get the spray can?
    glad it helped, i know motorcraft have a chrome spray paint but ive used it before and it tends to dull off quite a bit so maybe even see what bunnings or someone like autobahn have

http://www.whiteknightpaints.com.au/...w/super-chrome looks like bunnings does supply white knight paints

you could always try spraying this ontop of the chrome so it doesnt loose it shine http://www.whiteknightpaints.com.au/...w/super-chrome

bunnings definitely sell the spray can... its not cheap though. about $25 from memory.

hey, has anyone here ever tried to use polishing compound on the first chrome coat and then respray it with chrome again??
    or has anyone sprayed gloss black first and then sprayed chrome on top?

im too busy to test it out but was very excited when i heard that it works well...suppose to be really shiny.

Or you can pay the Big bucks and get the parts Chrome plated or what I did to my G1 Megatron and get it Silver Plated. Place in Sydney called the Bronzing Studio can do it.