Thread: Classic GIJoe & (Gen2) Transformers reprint in March

Default Classic GIJoe & (Gen2) Transformers reprint in March

While I think of it (from being reminded about it from seeing someone's Gen2 comic collection in the acquisitions topic), the first ever reprint of the 5-issue lead in to the Gen2 comic, comes out March 27th, as Volume 14 (of 15) of the GIJoe reprint series. (after 4+ years, the entire original GIJoe comic series is finally almost complete)
    It includes artwork by Andrew Wildman, and several classic Transformers characters... and gave us a taste of the slaughter we'd be expecting to see in the Transformers Gen2 comic (which only lasted 12 issues).

The Gen2 comic has been reprinted before (by Titan, and maybe IDW), but the 5 issues of the GIJoe comic (138-142) that features them and sets up the story of the Gen2 comic (including why Megatron suddenly has a new form), has never seen a reprint, making it difficult to find that 5 issue prelude cheaply.
    For those who bought the Titan TPB of Gen2, or even the original issues, now's your chance to complete the entire (Marvel) Generation 2 comic Universe.

You can pre-order it at your local comic shop, or check out Amazon.com (if Bookdepository don't have it).
    It has Megatron & Cobra Commander on the cover, so should be easy to find. But remember - Volume 14 of the GIJoe Classics TPB series.

(from being sucked into the GIJoe comic through the UK Transformers comic, I've been collecting these reprints, and it is good to see that IDW will be able to release the entire series, as the later issues of the original comic can be very expensive)

Ooh!

Thank you for the reminder Griffin , Sharky's recent addition has paid quite the dividend as I'd very much like to get the TPB you mention as I've always wondered how Megatron came to have a Tank Alt mode; Beyond the simple explanation of "Cobra did it".

I'll have to have a look at BookDepository, knock 2 birds out with one stone next week me thinks.

Yup I've got in order at the book depository, though I am collecting the whole set. It's a good volume for any Transformers fan, but only and average volume for a GI Joe fan.

Even better, a trade with both Marvel GIJoe crossovers

Publication Date: September 11, 2012
    The worlds of G.I. JOE and The Transformers combine in this first volume of crossovers. Contains the 4-issue G.I. JOE and The Transformers limited series, plus issues #139-142 of Marvel's G.I. JOE: A Real American Hero. Megatron and Cobra versus the JOEs and the Autobots - who will come out on top?
    (It does look like it might exclude the cameo from 138 but that's not a huge loss)

And Classic UK Vol 3 will reprint the Action Force crossover.

Good news for fans of Bots vs Joes.

It's nice to hear that people who can't find the original editions, will be able to obtain almost all comic issues that contained Transformers, outside of their own TFs comic.
    Pity about the #138 being left off though, but hopefully they include the couple of pages as an introduction, to explain why the Decepticons just "suddenly show up" in #139.
    When I bought #139, I had to hunt down #138 to make sense of it (and when I found it, I couldn't just browse through the issue to see if it did indeed have TFs in it, because it was a bagged issue, due to some freebie included - so I had to risk it and buy it).

Interesting to hear that it is a first volume, suggesting that IDW are going to reprint other GIJoe/TFs stories - maybe both Dreamwave and Devil's Due crossovers.

Although, I would have thought a complete Gen2 omnibus would make more sense... with the 5 GIJoe issues and the 12 TFs issues, all in one volume as a "complete" edition.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    but hopefully they include the couple of pages as an introduction, to explain why the Decepticons just "suddenly show up" in #139.
    When I bought #139, I had to hunt down #138 to make sense of it (and when I found it, I couldn't just browse through the issue to see if it did indeed have TFs in it, because it was a bagged issue, due to some freebie included - so I had to risk it and buy it).
    I still haven't read #138 and never felt it necessary. Megatron makes it very clear right away that he detected the castle transforming and had come to investigate. I assumed that was all there was to it back in the 90s and scans I've seen since haven't encouraged me to track that issue down.

True... I was a bit disappointed that their arrival on Earth wasn't explained, nor was the second shadowy figure in #138, because only Megatron appears in the next issue. It was like a tease that even the GIJoe people didn't yet know about. Like, "put in a couple of shadowy figures, and we'll worry about it next month".

Issues #78 and 79 was enough for me. I was thrilled and surprised to see that dangler followed up.

Yeah I thought they had enough of an explanation too, as for the shadowy figure, well Megatrons appearance in the G2 comics flanked by Starscream makes this clear to me.

Considering IDW can't even manage to publish all the pages of the classic Joe comics, or get the coloring right, the Gi joe fan in me would be miffed if they suddenly took thew unlikely step of adding new pages to cover Megatron, who soaked up way to much of the limelight anyway!

Gi Joe is for Gi Joes dammit, Transformers is for Transformers, the last thing I want to see is Hawk opening the matrix to destroy Unicron.