Thread: Anyone here a registered member of a political party?

Default Anyone here a registered member of a political party?

Either currently, or in the past?

If so, what does it get you? (you don't have to say which party if you don't want to)

I was reading an article in the paper today about a pre-selection vote for a particular labor candidate, saying that something like 30 people registered as members on the last day in that electorate just to get a majority vote for a particular person... and I was wondering - does that mean party membership is that small, that in one of our 150-ish electorates, there's less than 100 members. That makes for a rather small party membership... if that is an average amount. Especially for a "major" party (or at least, the oldest and biggest party, in terms of primary voter support).

Not trying to discuss politics itself, but I just figured that membership of the two major parties would be more significant than that... but now that I think more about the apathy people have towards our compulsory voting system, it probably isn't surprising.

Pirate Party - Gets me a lot of annoying emails.

Yes. But I also work in politics, or more precisely, for a politician.

The Labor party has about 35,000 members, which breaks down to about 233 members per seat. So thirty people could make a big difference in preselection. It costs about $50 a year to be a member. The Labor party is notorious for branch stacking, and with such a small membership, it's easy to do.

Hahahaha, no.