Ozformers Transformers Club of Australia

Go Back   Ozformers Transformers Club of Australia (otca.com.au) > Beyond the Spacebridge (Non-Transformers Section) > Non-toy stuff

Sightings/Sales

Old 24th January 2017, 02:46 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kup View Post
I have always said that the Earth is never truly in danger of us but rather we are in danger of it. At some point the Earth will just throw a huge seismic event and wipe out much of the population completely destroying civilisation as we know it.
Has there ever been a known instance in the history of the Earth where it has been capable of doing this? I thought the only way that an ELE is likely to happen is either man made (ie nuclear war), meteor or severe climate change.

My money is on self annihilation before we even get a chance to destroy the climate to the point of not being able to sustain human life.
Sales Thread
Old 24th January 2017, 02:55 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider View Post
Has there ever been a known instance in the history of the Earth where it has been capable of doing this? I thought the only way that an ELE is likely to happen is either man made (ie nuclear war), meteor or severe climate change.

My money is on self annihilation before we even get a chance to destroy the climate to the point of not being able to sustain human life.

A few years ago, apparently.
An interesting quick read.

LOOKING FOR MiSB
AOE VOYAGER NEMESiS PRiME.
Old 24th January 2017, 03:22 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider View Post

Several times, one actually during our own existence. Check Sinnertwin's link for just a few instances.

The reality is that when we damage the environment, we are only hurting ourselves, not the earth. The earth would recover in just a couple of million years that to it, is nothing but to us is the existence of our entire species. There is nothing we can do to the earth that it can't recover from relatively quickly even if we nuke the entire earth. We would only kill ourselves and the present ecosystems that help maintain us. The Earth would then recover by creating a brand new one.

Humanity is both arrogant and stupid and as we have experienced with people, that is the worse combination.
Old 24th January 2017, 08:28 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

Yeah we treat our ecosystem pretty badly all those toxins we dump in the ocean and in the atmosphere, they don't disappear, the're all still out there.

Anyway if we're going to be all doom and gloom you don't need a meteorite or the earth for an extinction level event, the right pandemic would do whether man made or naturally occurring.

Not nearly as exciting as the other options though, but it would leave the earth relatively unscathed for the next species to come along.
Old 24th January 2017, 08:59 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

I saw an advert today for the BMW Hybrid Car and also have recently seen people driving Teslas on the road - but there are arguments for and against the actual environmental benefits of driving "green" cars. But the environmental benefit of our move last year was that now that we're so much closer - 20km closer - to work, school, shops etc., we do far less driving than we used to, thus we're consuming much less petrol and emitting a lot less carbon. Although when we used to live farther away we always used the one car, but it was frustrating because my wife's working hours are quite different from mine. We use separate cars now, but the combined number of k's driven between both cars is still way less than the amount of k's we used to clock when we car pooled before the move.

Having said that, I heard on the radio today that Sydney is now the 2nd most expensive city for housing in the world after Hong Kong. A lot of people simply cannot afford to live closer to work.
Old 25th January 2017, 06:25 PM
Rank 5 - Dedicated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
Having said that, I heard on the radio today that Sydney is now the 2nd most expensive city for housing in the world after Hong Kong. A lot of people simply cannot afford to live closer to work.
My current job requires me to be at different sites daily, I always try to make sure where I'm living is 30 minutes from where I need to be. Parramatta/Northmead was probably the best location, at the moment I'm living in Lidcombe and getting to and from the central coast is a nightmarish gauntlet to run.
Old 25th January 2017, 09:55 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
I read today the 3rd most expensive city for housing in Australia is...wait for it...Wollongong!
Old 25th January 2017, 10:07 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaptoDog View Post
I read today the 3rd most expensive city for housing in Australia is...wait for it...Wollongong!
What?! Nah... That can't be right. It's so far away from... everything.

LOOKING FOR MiSB
AOE VOYAGER NEMESiS PRiME.
Old 26th January 2017, 07:10 AM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaptoDog View Post
I believe it. Some suburbs around here, like Balgownie, are nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinnertwin View Post
What?! Nah... That can't be right. It's so far away from... everything.
If by "everything" you mean you, then prices have nowhere to go but up
Old 26th January 2017, 08:07 AM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

My parents got their placed valued in the Northern suburbs of Wollongong... I can back up that statement of Wollongong being expensive.