Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 51520212223242526272829303545 ... LastLast

Thread: Masterpiece Convoy 3.0 Revealed

This does look truly amazing... but the price tag just can't justify it for me. I preordered the Big Powered set purely on the fact you get three exclusive figures for that price and that was $200 which was hard enough...

He's magnificent!!

The battle-damaged head is spot on. I can imagine it saying: "Do not grieve. Soon... your wallet will be one with the Matrix."

変われ! ヘッドマスター! Kaware! Headmaster!
    戦え! ヘッドマスター! Tatakae! Headmaster!

Quote Originally Posted by FruitBuyer View Post
    So what about all the fans with smaller pockets but still want a cartoon accurate Convoy? Takara is leaving them in the dust.
    How? Optimus Prime is one of the most oversaturated characters in Transformers. If you can't afford this new MP Convoy then you can get a lot of other cheaper G1 inspired/based Optimus Prime toys including:
    * MP10 (the reissue was still massively shelfwarming when I was in Japan last year)
    * POTP
    * Siege
    * Legendary Commander
    etc etc etc

Okay, they're not as super duper accurate and fancy as MP Convoy V3, but each of those toys are just fine for what you're paying for. Masterpiece has always been a toyline for high end collectors. They're exotic luxury toys for a special niche market, these aren't meant to be for every collector.

I don't think the question is really one of whether or not this toy is worth its asking price, because from pictures that I've seen, it does look bloody impressive with a slavishly accurate robot and vehicle mode never seen before. That level of engineering is going to cost you, just as it did for Megatron and Sideswipe to Sunstreaker. And we were happy to pay for MP36 and Sunstreaker.

I think a more relevant question would be have TakaraTOMY over-estimated what collectors are willing to pay for. This is something that they seem to be experimenting in with toys like MP Dinobot, BW Megatron and now Convoy Mk 3. And bear in mind that in Japan, many other toy companies make similar toys that are ultra expensive for high end collectors, like Macross and Soul of Chougoukin etc. But the difference is that their mecha aren't oversaturated like Optimus Prime. Releasing a super expensive Hundred Beast King Go-Lion (Voltron) toy is different from Optimus Prime, because there aren't a plethora of alternatives. With Optimus Prime collectors have a CHOICE. Or at least more of a choice than Go-Lion collectors.

And yeah, I think that it may also be the case that Transformers collectors just aren't willing to spend as much as other robot mecha toy collectors. As I said, MP10 was a huge shelfwarmer just last year, and that toy was significantly cheaper.

At the end of the day, TakaraTOMY are giving fans what they want. I'm personally happy with MP01. I was fortunate enough to receive a free MP10, which is also a lovely toy albeit at about double the price of MP01, but I personally never felt that MP10 superseded MP01 per se. But people have been calling for a new MP Convoy - one that's more similar to what we've seen in recent MPs like Ratchet, Ironhide, Inferno, Grapple, Sunstreaker, MP36 etc. - that super duper slavish level of cartoon accuracy. People want MPs to look like the cartoon came alive and jumped out of their TV screens. And that's all lovely, but it's not cheap! Each of those MPs I just mentioned were pretty expensive for MP Cars, and MP36 was double the price of MP05. New MP Convoy is also double the price of MP10 (x2.27 to be precise). Is this really f'expensive? Yes. Am I really surprised? Uh... no. Each time we see MP's do a "tech level jump" (for lack of a better expression) we see prices double. But this is why I personally didn't want to see an new MP Convoy. Because obviously this would happen. You can't just wish for an idealised dream toy and then expect it to be cheap.

At the end of the day, this toy is like a Porsche or Lamborghini. It's a high end luxury item, and I don't see why TakaraTOMY should apologise for it. Can't afford this Optimus Prime? Get a cheaper one. Same with why most drivers don't own a Lamborghini. And as I said, if this toy turns out to be beyond what most collectors are willing to pay and it ends up shelfwarming really badly, then there's a good chance that retailers will start slashing prices.

Remember when MP09 came out and we had a similar conversation then? I skipped that toy because I couldn't justify paying $205 for it... still can't. And even when I had the chance to get it without postage cost I still skipped it. I just looked on eBay and the cheapest one I saw is selling for $840+. So ya know... for now people will whinge about this price, then in a few years time people will sell it on the aftermarket for $2000+ and others will call it a bargain and tell me to shut up about historical prices. Can't wait.

Agreed it looks amazing and is the best MP Optimus so far. The price is still stopping me from pulling the trigger and I’d like to know more about the quality of materials and paint apps before committing.

If price is the main factor against holding back on this toy, then consider:
    • Pre-ordering to get an earlybird discount. Robotoyz is selling it atm for $515

• If you don't have FOMO then just wait and see if this toy shelfwarms and forces retailers to slash prices - beat that Impatience Tax!

• Wait even longer and see if collectors end up selling it on the aftermarket at even further reduced prices, especially if the toy is loose complete. If you're not an MISB collector then why not?

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Or just don’t buy and be happy with mp 10

There are tons of accessories that I am totally NOT interested.

Nice figure, plastic wheels and spot on paint apps. Still can’t see $400 worth even. Still waiting on Japan offical release for pre orders.

I finally figured out why its so expensive... It comes with all the Lambos

I am very torn about this, I am impressed with the figure, but I am not sure if I want to pay the price. I think that I am not going to pre-order and make a choice once it is in stock. So its future Mayza's problem

I don't really see for me any drastic feature or look that makes me want to get this instead of the MP-10 I already have. Appreciate the official photos with colours. It just looks a bit...'stretched' or something. The colours don't really pop to me. I've never really wanted that level of cartoon devotion though but obviously a lot of people do and that's fine. Likely pass for me.

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Waiting on mp 45 hound 25,000jpy lol

I think most of us here expect the price to be from $280-$390 not over $400 and definitely not $600. You just can’t help but compare similar toys at the price they asking and know this is a bit ridiculous in some way.

Yeh it's nice but I'm not seeing $600 worth of toy. At least he and Megatron now have matching waist heights!