Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Platinum Triplechanger Set Image

I like 'em. But then, I have a tendency to like crazy, out there, interesting decos. My main problem with Geewunism is how boring everything tends to look when it's just in the usually realisitic original colours.

I don't have a problem with redecos, as long as it can be plausibly explained - like mirror-verse, pre-transformers, cartoon/comic colouring, background character using the same form, or simply replicating an animation error colouring... plus, reissues of the original toy colours after enough time since the last release (if reissued before) will always draw sales from people who can now afford to buy that mould, or are needing to replace their older toys, or just newer fans looking to buy "originals".

There is often so much to choose from, to not need to create something new that isn't planned to be included in fiction somewhere. Almost all of the ehobby redecos from about 10 years ago were based on pre-transformers or something in the cartoon or comics... which is what made them so highly sought after.
    Ehobby even launched the character of Sunstorm, basing the toy on a 5-second redeco on the cartoon, that Dreamwave picked up the following year and turned into a feature character that Hasbro has been homaging in toys ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    I don't have a problem with redecos, as long as it can be plausibly explained - like mirror-verse, pre-transformers, cartoon/comic colouring, background character using the same form, or simply replicating an animation error colouring... plus, reissues of the original toy colours after enough time since the last release (if reissued before) will always draw sales from people who can now afford to buy that mould, or are needing to replace their older toys, or just newer fans looking to buy "originals".

There is often so much to choose from, to not need to create something new that isn't planned to be included in fiction somewhere. Almost all of the ehobby redecos from about 10 years ago were based on pre-transformers or something in the cartoon or comics... which is what made them so highly sought after.
    Ehobby even launched the character of Sunstorm, basing the toy on a 5-second redeco on the cartoon, that Dreamwave picked up the following year and turned into a feature character that Hasbro has been homaging in toys ever since.
    I'm really completely fine with redecoes in whatever colours the toy maker's want. It doesn't have to be based on anything in particular. My opinion is that basing everything on something that's come before is a surefire recipe for stagnation; eventually, everything will have been done and there'll be nothing else for new figures to be based on. On the other hand, say this set sells out everywhere and is super hard to find; in ten years, people will be lapping up the 40th anniversary Generations Astrotrain and Blitzwing figures that are made in these colours. The line has to find ways to keep innovating.

But I've always been that way. As a kid, I wanted the gold Batman from Batman Returns purely because GOLD. I'd rather have something that's new and different and interesting than the "classic" colours. I've made entire JLA and Avengers lineups with ML and DCUC figures that are in their "alternate" costumes, and I always pick the strange redeco over the first run of the toy. Even today, I'm looking at getting my hands on G2 Sideswipe, Gold Bumblebee, Exhaust, and even that Silverstreak redeco that's just silver from the Masterpiece line because they're not in the standard colours. It makes my collection look and feel different to other people's.

Oh well, disappointing that they're not in cartoon colours. I wonder if these will really sell at all. Blitzwing could maybe be the SG version for people into the universe.
    Seeking the Following:
    - CW Brawl
    - Earthrise Runabout
    - Earthrise Thrust

I kinda like them, though I need a better look and they look like Autobots, or Diaclones that never were. I'm sure It will probably bug the hell out of people wanting to plug holes in their G1 collection, but for me this is the first time In years I've seen something interesting done with a g1 reissue, there usually as dull as can be as mandated by the fans because something different is bad.

Hasbro: gives us Blitzwing in Thrust's colours and Astrotrain in G2 Starscream's colours.
    Takara: gave us Blitzwing in Diaclone colours and Astrotrain in cartoon colours.

Glad I went with the 2nd choice.

I'm in!

Some are saying that Astrotrain's colours are based on Shuttler (RiD Mo-Vor). Well this has tenfolded my interest in this toy (10*0)

Megatran Guest

Personally, I don't object to repaints nor is it essential to have a backstory, although it would help to draw the connection & sell the toy. I've always been a sucker for the many repaints of the G1 Optimus Prime cab.

What really interest me is Hasbro's approval process in deciding to go ahead with the colour scheme for these Triplechangers. Perhaps the boss' son makes the final call.

I welcome the color scheme on Blitzwing, as I really love those colours because they remind me of thrust. But I'm still scratching my head over Astrotrain's deco