Page 6 of 307 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111626 ... LastLast

Thread: Yamato & Bandai Macross Toys

I just got a bunch of Gunze Mr Color lacquers from Rainbow10. You can brush paint them but I usually shoot it with an airbrush. There's lots of info in model building forums (spc.org.uk, automotiveforums etc.)

Man I would have loved to wander around in some Japanese hobby stores.

Quote Originally Posted by kurdt_the_goat View Post
    Change of topic slightly, has anyone had experience with the transformable model kits they sell? The detailing seems to be quite nice, and the price a lot cheaper than the toys - i imagine they're flimsier.. but are they worth it?

This new VF-25F looks nice is all
    Well I had the old VF 1 model kit, as well as VF 19 excalibur, both Kits are over 10years old now so they've probably improved since then. The kits were decent they looked good in most modes.
    While they are cheaper and they often look better than thier toy equivelants there are three things you have to remmember when comparing them to a toy:

1. They tend to be more fragile than the toys, (in the case of the VF1 way more fragile) There built for looks not for transforming or flying around the house.

2. You often have to remove and re-atach parts or even use replacment parts when transforming them. I have no idea if the new VF 25 kit uses replacment parts but it has been a feature of all previous Bandai kits so It would not supprise me.

3. It's do it yourself, you have to remove the pieces from the sprue and build them, then paint on the details. Given the latest Bandai gundam kits I doubt glue will be required. And I just used standard hobby acrylics for my old models.

Man I would have loved to wander around in some Japanese hobby stores
    Oh yeah! Japanese hobby stores rock, the average 4-6 stories of hobby goods that I saw in japan sure make Hobbyco look small.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Zed View Post
    You often have to remove and re-atach parts or even use replacment parts when transforming them. I have no idea if the new VF 25 kit uses replacment parts but it has been a feature of all previous Bandai kits so It would not supprise me.
    The landing gear is removable, but not retractable. Transformation is 'perfect' (if you ignore the landing gear).
    Which brings us to where we are today...

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Fungal Infection View Post
    Bandai 1/55 "chunky monkeys" as well as in terms of durability they will outlast anything Yamato has made. Not very accurate in terms of sculpt, but if you like to play with your toys often, a better bet than the Yamatos. The Yamatos are more collectable display pieces with the occasional play use than actual fully fledged toys.
    I just noticed them at HLJ (I don't visit very often) the Bandai 1/55 VF-1

To recap... Bandai (I'm referring to the Origins of Valkyrie) version is for playing, Yamato v2 is for display?

Also I supposed the Bandai ones are slightly bigger?

Does anyone have any preferences over one or the other?
    Last edited by Saintly; 17th September 2008 at 01:12 PM.

Here's a great comparison pic posted on Macross World forums:

The old bandai's look about the same size to me as the new yamato's despite being in a larger scale.

Does anyone have any recommendations for stands? I do like the idea of getting the Yamato official one, but for the price.. i was thinking of getting the FlexiDisplay, which seems to have positive reviews all over and is much cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Saintly View Post
    I just noticed them at HLJ (I don't visit very often) the Bandai 1/55 VF-1

To recap... Bandai version is for playing, Yamato v2 is for display?

Also I supposed the Bandai ones are slightly bigger?

Does anyone have any preferences over one or the other?
    Bandai's are built very solid, the canopy is the only vunerable spot. The new Yamato is durable too tho but not sure I would recommend it for kids as it is much more complex and fiddly, the sholder pins are the only real weak point and you would have to be sorta careless to break it. No problems with the Roy VF-1S so far.

They are about the same size. I don't have a Jetfire to compare curretly.

I prefer the Yamato v2 but nostalgic Macross and TF collectors might want the Bandai.

I still prefer the 1/48 overall tho but it is not in scale with Yamato's other releases and is still much more expensive, the 1/60 v2 is essentially a scaled down and refined 1/48.

Quote Originally Posted by kurdt_the_goat View Post
    Does anyone have any recommendations for stands? I do like the idea of getting the Yamato official one, but for the price.. i was thinking of getting the FlexiDisplay, which seems to have positive reviews all over and is much cheaper.
    That's the one I use. It looks fragile but it is very stable. I'm holding off ordering any more untill they release the v.2 edition.
    Last edited by Tober; 17th September 2008 at 07:23 PM. Reason: typo

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/...1S_review.html

VF1S 1/60 v 2.0 review (pic heavy)

Chunky Monkeys are great for the nostaligic, but the Yamato's are so much nicer for the adult collector. If you buy the chunky you'll always want a Yamato, so start with the Yamato and save!

The new Yamato 1/60 to date feels very much like the evolution of the VF1 Valkyrie as a collectors toy, the Chunky seems an ancient ancestor in comparisson. Though i'f you've ever played with jet fire you'd know how sturdy and tough that mould is.

The new 1/60 seems sufficently strong for the adult collector, you can fly it round the room and do barrel rolls and parts wont fall off, or flip out of place.

My only complaint about the new 1/60 is it makes me want to collect a whole squadron.

Yamato 1/60 VF-11B

Is that VF-11 a new version? Along the lines of the new 2.0 1/60's?

Also in 2009 Bandai are releasing this bang for your buck beauty; VF-25 1/100.

http://www.toyslogic.com/index.php?m...oducts_id=6147