Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clear coats for metallic paint

Default Clear coats for metallic paint

Can anyone recommend the best product to use for applying a clear coat to metallic paint without dulling it?

I have read about a certain brand of floor polish that only appears to be available in the US, however I was wondering what customisers on this forum use?

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Have you tried Tamiya clear coat in the jar? Apparently it doesn't leave a dull like the can does.

The hydrocarbon propellant in spray cans is an excellent solvent and is absorbed by the paint you're coating, thus ruining the finish. Airbrush or brush application should be fine.

In Australia we have very similar products to Future Floor Polish. Pledge One Go, which I get from Bunnings, is one of them.
    Any figure that comes with swords demands wrist articulation.

Quote Originally Posted by CBratron View Post
    In Australia we have very similar products to Future Floor Polish. Pledge One Go, which I get from Bunnings, is one of them.
    Ah... See I always wondered what I could use instead of Future. Thanks :-)

The hydrocarbon propellant in spray cans is an excellent solvent and is absorbed by the paint you're coating, thus ruining the finish. Airbrush or brush application should be fine.

That's fantastic, thank very much. Really appreciate it. I was hoping there was an Australian equivalent.

I'll give the Pledge product a try and post results.

M-Bot's Customs logo by M-bot2011

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms
    While you're there, click the "LIKE" button!

Don't even try to thin it with water. Pledge is immiscible (doesn't mix) with water and if you do, will result in a splotchy finish.

And as always, test it first. You try it on a junker but a plastic bottle or stripped out plastic from toy packaging is fine.
    Any figure that comes with swords demands wrist articulation.

In the past I have been reluctant of clear coats for that reason. I have tried to spray clear to painted plastic that had been left for weeks to dry only to see the coat of paint be dissolved by clear paint from the same company (Tamiya). From then on I am not sure if it's possible to have even clear coats without a spraying device or having to buy an air brush.

If you do get an airbrush don't use pledge or future in it. I have heard of it ruining airbrushes.

BTW Tamiya does a clear varnish that's very good and it works on GW paints too.

Pledge is not exactly the same as future. I've tried it and wasn't happy with results. The only way to get future is from overseas. I've used it through my airbrush with no issues. Clean up with Windex. Tamiya acrylic clear through an airbrush is still safest and best imo. Spray cans are usually lacquer based, so can eat into paint.