Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 (Walmart) Gen1 reissue Optimus

bowspearer Guest

I actually don't mind the lack of a trailer and I can see a few different reasons why this isn't a bad way to go.

Firstly, about 4 years ago, I got screwed over buying a couple of Encore Convoys on eBay which were advertised as pristine but when I got them the cabs were screwed over by really bad water damage (as an aside, when I mentioned this on another TF forum, the general response from people was to the effect of "Is that a-hole still at it with that scam?!"); what really sucked was I bought one to be my wedding cake topper and the other to put away down the track for kids.

But I digress.

The trailers and accessories are largely fine, but the cabs are fodder, so this reissue works great for me. Likewise, for anyone who has a good trailer, but damaged Prime cab, this reissue is just what the doctor ordered.

Secondly, let's be honest- trailers are a pain in the tail to display and if we're honest, we tend to store them rather than display them when space becomes an issue. This way, the figure can be displayed and the trailer becomes a non-issue.

Thirdly and finally, if this is how much he costs without the trailer, I shudder to think about how much he'd cost with a trailer, not to mention that the missiles and launchers would be completely nerfed. A cheaper Optimus gives both collectors on a budet, and parents buying for their kids, a much more affordable option when it comes to buying a G1 Optimus Prime.

I just wanted to mention that for the last 13 years (since the Unicron Trilogy), Optimus Prime has been more know for being just a cab, which includes the main bulk of the current fandom (the Movie Universe). With an occasional toy or rare appearance with a Trailer throughout that time (TF3 in 2011 had the most appearances of a Trailer, while other cartoon/Movie series during this time maybe had one gimmick toy with a trailer).

If it wasn't for the Generations toylines aimed more at the older, pre-Movie collectors, we probably wouldn't even have "homage" trailer toys for Optimus.
    As such, I don't think too many people buying this reissue will care, because it will still be the Optimus (robot) toy that they are used to, without paying extra for a plastic box that will mostly sit on a display shelf or in a storage container.

More like Hasbro have been influenced by selling the movie Optimus Primes toys without a trailer and thought they could sell the reissue to everybody without it.

That and it was a cost cutting exercise.

Still absolutely gut wrenched seeing it without the trailer. It’s foul and offensive. It makes me sick to my stomach.........I’m buying two

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/attach...-jpg.28158007/
    Last edited by griffin; 27th December 2018 at 05:45 PM. Reason: hotlinked image replaced with link

MV75 is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

We can pretty much agree that the trailer won't really be missed overall for various reasons, but how about a g1 cartoon gun?
    Code:
    O o 
      _
     / --------------------------------
    |      IMMA FIRIN MA LAZAR!!!
     \_--------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by MV75 View Post
    We can pretty much agree that the trailer won't really be missed overall for various reasons, but how about a g1 cartoon gun?
    Lack of trailer doesn’t bother me. The trailer would only of stayed in the box anyway. Just like my MP-10.

It's such a pretty box. I'm happy with my 25th anniversary edition version (can't believe it's 10 years old!) but will buy one to keep MISB.

I wouldn't mind this "Lite" reissue if the price is also cheaper. Cos Encore Convoy was about AU$70 and that has the whole kit and kaboodle. Heck, you can still get a 2000 reissue Convoy for about AU$100. If this reissue works out to be around $50ish then I'd consider it, but if it's closer to $100 then you might as well get a Japanese reissue and get more bang for your buck.

Galvatran Guest

Comparisons like that can't even hold water.

The 2019 reissue OP is MISB whereas the 2000 reissue Convoy from Mandarake has been TRASHED by its previous owner(s).

And where can one readily source 2007 MISB Encore Convoy for AUD70 in 2018/2019?

Quote Originally Posted by DaptoDog View Post
    It's such a pretty box. I'm happy with my 25th anniversary edition version (can't believe it's 10 years old!) but will buy one to keep MISB.
    I recall there were two Hasbro 25th Anniversary versions. An American and International releases. Not the Pinktimus Prime.

According to TFW, this Optimus might be US$50 (that's about AU$72 - which would be AU$100 if sold here), and will come with two guns, which I'm not sure what the second gun will be.