Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What rules do other people use when they catalouge their collections?

Default What rules do other people use when they catalouge their collections?

As I home in on the 1100 mark with my TF figure collection, I’m interested to find out how other TF collectors classify what makes up a ‘figure’. I’ve got a rough guide I use that I have made up over the years:

If it’s sentient then I count the figure as existing in its own right. This includes Headmasters, Powermasters, Targetmasters and human companions.
    If it’s a drone or a non-sentient vehicle, then I count is as an accessory and not an independent figure.

DRONE EXAMPLES
    *Example: Metroplex
    - I count Metroplex as 1 figure
    - I count Six-Gun as 1 figure
    - I count Scamper as 1 figure
    - I DON’T count Slammer as he is a drone so I list it as Metroplex (+ Slammer drone)

So the total count for Metroplex is 3. The likes of Trypticon would only be 1.

*For someone like Crankcase from the Power Core Combiners, even though he comes with 4 other vehicles, I only count it as one toy as the others are drones under his control.

VEHICLE EXAMPLE

*My Action Master vehicles I don’t count, just the bots that drive them.

*The only vehicles I have broken this rule for are my Titanium & DOTM versions of ‘The Ark’, because, well… it’s the Ark! If they make a Nemesis toy would probably make an exception there too.

OTHER STUFF
    -I DO count busts and statuette’s as figures.
    -I DO count figures like human companions from DOTM, Prime, KRE-O etc
    -I have decided as of tonight to count Kremzeek from my MP Starscream as his own figure.
    -I DON'T count it if I have a second of the same figure (I have 2 G1 Pipes, 2 G1 Soundwaves but only count 1 of each).
    -I DO count it if it is the same figure but with different colouring (most recent example would be 2 slightly different coloured Bot Shots Bumblebee's) or with slight modifications (1984 G1 Prime and 25th Anniversary G1 Prime)

So how do other people go categorizing their collections? Am I a complete oddball who is doing it wrong? Should I be counting every drone and AM Vehicle? Or should I be going the other way and only counting the likes of Spinister with his two Targetmaster companions as 1 toy instead of 3? Or do folk basically do what feels right?

Interested to hear your answers and how you do it

(P.S: Sorry if this thread has been done before, but could not see it anywhere)

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    As I home in on the 1100 mark with my TF figure collection, I’m interested to find out how other TF collectors classify what makes up a ‘figure’. I’ve got a rough guide I use that I have made up over the years:

If it’s sentient then I count the figure as existing in its own right. This includes Headmasters, Powermasters, Targetmasters and human companions.
    If it’s a drone or a non-sentient vehicle, then I count is as an accessory and not an independent figure.

DRONE EXAMPLES
    *Example: Metroplex
    - I count Metroplex as 1 figure
    - I count Six-Gun as 1 figure
    - I count Scamper as 1 figure
    - I DON’T count Slammer as he is a drone so I list it as Metroplex (+ Slammer drone)

So the total count for Metroplex is 3. The likes of Trypticon would only be 1.

*For someone like Crankcase from the Power Core Combiners, even though he comes with 4 other vehicles, I only count it as one toy as the others are drones under his control.

VEHICLE EXAMPLE

*My Action Master vehicles I don’t count, just the bots that drive them.

*The only vehicles I have broken this rule for are my Titanium & DOTM versions of ‘The Ark’, because, well… it’s the Ark! If they make a Nemesis toy would probably make an exception there too.

OTHER STUFF
    -I DO count busts and statuette’s as figures.
    -I DO count figures like human companions from DOTM, Prime, KRE-O etc
    -I have decided as of tonight to count Kremzeek from my MP Starscream as his own figure.
    -I DON'T count it if I have a second of the same figure (I have 2 G1 Pipes, 2 G1 Soundwaves but only count 1 of each).
    -I DO count it if it is the same figure but with different colouring (most recent example would be 2 slightly different coloured Bot Shots Bumblebee's) or with slight modifications (1984 G1 Prime and 25th Anniversary G1 Prime)

So how do other people go categorizing their collections? Am I a complete oddball who is doing it wrong? Should I be counting every drone and AM Vehicle? Or should I be going the other way and only counting the likes of Spinister with his two Targetmaster companions as 1 toy instead of 3? Or do folk basically do what feels right?

Interested to hear your answers and how you do it

(P.S: Sorry if this thread has been done before, but could not see it anywhere)
    Very interesting approach dude
    Follow me on twitter:
    @Kal_ElofKrypton
    @Soundwaves_cast

You might be interested in having a look at this Universal Counting Method but feel no pressure to follow it.

Decepticon Guest

Goodness! It all sounds too difficult for me. I just buy what I like and throw it in the cabinet.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    You might be interested in having a look at this Universal Counting Method but feel no pressure to follow it.
    Hah! Should have known Gok would have done a thread on this before lol

Some interesting ideas there - but think I might just stick with my personal way, especially since it's how I'm doing it for the eventual insurance valuation.

Still interested in how others do it in case I see a better way

There is always different way people count stuff for the most part i subscribe to the Sharky International Method of Counting.... i have lots and lots... other people may have just Lots or Lots more..(at the end of the day i don’t particularly care who has the bigger stick...i just enjoy looking at other collectors purdy collections) I don’t know an exact number count of my collection.

but in saying that I have always seen Headmasters powermaster, targetmasters, pretenders etc as one, as Nebulons shells etc in my eyes are an accessory needed to complete the figure.

metroplex scorponok and other bases i count as 1 just like the "masters" the included figures are accessories.

i count multiple figures as individuals as i am not counting characters. i own 6 G1 Optimus Primes therefore i have 6 figures.

I don’t count statues or merch like robot heroes/PVC, bottle caps or anything like that to me that is just merch and may have its own tally e.g 42 PVC figures......or 56 statues.....

i really think it doesnt matter how you count your collection as long as your happy with it people will always admire it.
    UP UP CRONULLA

Follow Me on:

Twitter - @Sharky_Wattsy

Meh. Will never have enough to have these worries.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Quote Originally Posted by Sharky View Post

I don’t count statues or merch like robot heroes/PVC, bottle caps or anything like that to me that is just merch and may have its own tally e.g 42 PVC figures......or 56 statues.....

I count my Robot Heroes and my PVC but any other merch such as shirts, bedspreads, video games, glasses, posters (the list goes on and on lol) I don't count. If I did I think my collection would be nearly twice as big, especially if I counted my comics as well

Interesting approach, I used to apply most of the rules in the UCM when I read it , but after I hit past the 1500+ figures which is largely due to minicons, Legends and multiples (army build ftw!!) I didnt bother anymore, Ive lost count already and space as well
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    Hmmm. I agree with most of it. Bit upset about pre-tf's not counting

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    I count my Robot Heroes and my PVC but any other merch such as shirts, bedspreads, video games, glasses, posters (the list goes on and on lol) I don't count. If I did I think my collection would be nearly twice as big, especially if I counted my comics as well
    I always considered Metroplex and all his off-siders as one, In saying that, i do have a spare 6-gun and Fastrack displayed separately ATM.. I could consider Fastrack a fig by himself, but not 6-gun (he doesn't transform into anything, just parts for a city).. That would be my yard-stick. If they can transform from robot into a vehicle or anything in it's entirety then it counts. if it can only transform from robot into part of something else, it doesn't (and vice versa . a pair of duocons i count as 1)
    Yep, i'll go with that for now
    and if it can't transform i don't count it
    aaand. Just to throw a spanner in the works. If had something mib , I would just count it as one.... Which could get confusing where combiners, tape pairs and micromaster patrols are concerned...
    Last edited by Slag; 3rd September 2012 at 11:53 PM.