Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Transformers Hall of Fame 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Bladestorm View Post
    Most of my fave Transformers are already inducted so I don't really mind who gets put up in terms of bots.
    That's the problem that I was noting... the passion is now gone by most, now that twenty-something of the most iconic characters are already inducted.

Yeah, I'd leave Nimoy as an 'honorable mention' or something. James Roberts gets my vote.

Character-wise, I'd like to see Ravage included.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Nimoy is a bit of a knee-jerk at the moment, but including him is like including Spielberg, as it is a big name but has had limited involvement compared to other people in that area (in the case of voice acting, Nimoy was two short roles, while there are dozens of VAs who have done more for Transformers over the 30 years).
    I don't think he is a knee-jerk reaction at all. Its the hall of fame and besides Frank Welker and Don Figueroa I haven't even heard of most of those other guys, and if I have its certainly not been enough to stick in the memory.

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    Totally! He did the voice for the main and most interesting bad guy in two TF movies 25 years apart! Freakin legend!
    I think thats a damn fine reason for him to be in there! Plus from a personal point of view he (sorta) won me $500! And Jetfire's thread was about who we would like to see in there

That's the problem that I was noting... the passion is now gone by most, now that twenty-something of the most iconic characters are already inducted.
    The thing is... there are other characters I adore who have played smaller roles... Jetfire/Skyfire... but has he done enough within the franchise to warrant a spot in the hall of fame?

To me getting into the hall of fame should be about contributing something significant to the franchise/storyline/universe... it's a title to be earned, not simply rewarded because you're not included yet...

Do characters have to be included in the honour roll every year?
    Obviously as time goes on and storylines expand other bots have the opportunity to prove their worth to be inducted...

I think if it's limited to two character and two human inductees per year then there may be more interest, obviously 2010 was a bit of a crack a boner moment with such a great idea and they went a bit nuts.

Ravage for this year would be great, such an iconic character, one who spoke in the original comics but not in the cartoon and of course Jetfire/Skyfire I'm going to be biased towards but perhaps not deserving this early, I like the idea of later cartoon series characters going in, it brings in the *cough* younger Transfans among us.

Griff you have listed many worthy names some I know and some I would have to Google but I think for you to say that to induct Nimoy this year would be a knee jerk reaction is way off. As a 9 year old I didn't know what a voice actor was and apart from Cullen (for me known as the voice of Optimus Prime back then, not by his name) popping up in Voltron I never recognised any other voice in a cartoon, but when I heard that "Spock" would be one of the voices in TFTM I was so excited and I remember kids who weren't interested in Transformers (yes they did exist) talking about the movie because Spock was Galvatron. Nimoy early on also crossed the boundary from pop/nerd culture to the mainstream, yes not uniquely a Transformers thing but thanks to the Bay Movies Transformers has like Nimoy transcended from pop/nerdom to the mainstream making it the juggernaught it is today.
    Anyway I'm waffling on to much here and everyone will have an opinion, but it's all good discussion because of our passion for Transformers
    So say we all.
    Oh, whoops. BSG outburst
    I still function.....................while killing threads. ;-)

I didn't mean to offend anyone, as I do agree that Nimoy is significant, and a big name for added publicity to the general public as well... I was just noting that we've had a lot of other Voice Actors do more, and that Welker actually voiced Galvatron a lot more than Nimoy did, but that short period of the Movie seems to be more memorable.

My "knee jerk" comment is because I've been seeing in recent weeks on fansites that all sorts of tributes should be done by Hasbro and Takara, like fast-tracking a Galvatron Masterpiece toy... which to me doesn't make much sense because Hasbro and TakaraTomy have never done that with any other lost Voice Actor, and personally Welker was more Galvatron than Nimoy, as Nimoy's "exclusive" character to me was Sentinel Prime.

If the time is right, or there is a publicity benefit, Nimoy would be a worthy inductee whenever it was eventually going to happen... I just didn't want it to happen this year just because he died, because it would mean that he wasn't going to be inducted this year if he was still alive, cheapening his contribution as being a reason to induct him.

I didn't mean to offend anyone, as I do agree that Nimoy is significant, and a big name for added publicity to the general public as well... I was just noting that we've had a lot of other Voice Actors do more, and that Welker actually voiced Galvatron a lot more than Nimoy did, but that short period of the Movie seems to be more memorable.

My "knee jerk" comment is because I've been seeing in recent weeks on fansites that all sorts of tributes should be done by Hasbro and Takara, like fast-tracking a Galvatron Masterpiece toy... which to me doesn't make much sense because Hasbro and TakaraTomy have never done that with any other lost Voice Actor, and personally Welker was more Galvatron than Nimoy, as Nimoy's "exclusive" character to me was Sentinel Prime.

If the time is right, or there is a publicity benefit, Nimoy would be a worthy inductee whenever it was eventually going to happen... I just didn't want it to happen this year just because he died, because it would mean that he wasn't going to be inducted this year if he was still alive, cheapening his contribution as being a reason to induct him.
    I don't think you've offended anyone mate. It's just Jetfire and I trying to prove our point so don't stress in that regard

I disagree about the timing, I think this year is the ONLY year where having Nimoy would not seem gratuitous. I don't think there would be a lot of point in subsequent years because he will have been dead and gone a while. But this year, while its fresh, its a chance for TF fans everywhere to say "You may have been a Trekkie icon, but you meant a lot to us Transfans too. Thank you Leanoard, you were a legend and we will miss you". I think it would showcase the love and respect a lot of us had for the man. I wont say that as both a Trekkie & Transfan fanboy that I physically shed a tear, but I was upset and saddened to hear that he had passed and it would mean a lot to me as both a fan of his and the TF's if he got inducted this year. I really should find out how to vote.

However your point about Welker being a more important voice actor in the TF world is spot on the money and in fact in my original post in this thread he was the only human I mentioned. I think the two of them getting in this year would be the right call, especially given that pretty much all the universally accepted iconic TF characters are already in there.

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    I don't think you've offended anyone mate. It's just Jetfire and I trying to prove our point so don't stress in that regard

I disagree about the timing, I think this year is the ONLY year where having Nimoy would not seem gratuitous. I don't think there would be a lot of point in subsequent years because he will have been dead and gone a while. But this year, while its fresh, its a chance for TF fans everywhere to say "You may have been a Trekkie icon, but you meant a lot to us Transfans too. Thank you Leanoard, you were a legend and we will miss you". I think it would showcase the love and respect a lot of us had for the man. I wont say that as both a Trekkie & Transfan fanboy that I physically shed a tear, but I was upset and saddened to hear that he had passed and it would mean a lot to me as both a fan of his and the TF's if he got inducted this year. I really should find out how to vote.

However your point about Welker being a more important voice actor in the TF world is spot on the money and in fact in my original post in this thread he was the only human I mentioned. I think the two of them getting in this year would be the right call, especially given that pretty much all the universally accepted iconic TF characters are already in there.
    I'll second all of that
    Also I understand your comment better now Griffin with all other comments on other pages, which they sound, well, illogical An MP Galvatron should be done but we need a re-scaled Megs first imho.
    I still function.....................while killing threads. ;-)

Optimus Primal would get my vote, then Transmutate.

I'd vote for a human David Kaye, I know its not the same as Welker, I'm just used to his voice and I think it fits.

For a Transformer I'd vote Metroplex for an Autobot (Metroplex heeds the call of the Last Prime!) and I think I'd go Thundercracker for a Decepticon.
    By far my fav Seeker.