View Poll Results: TR Blurr -worth buying?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 72.22%
  • Only if...

3 16.67%
  • No

1 5.56%
  • Not interested

1 5.56%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Toy Review - Titans Return Blurr with Hyperfire

Ok so now I have both versions of Blurr (one with a different head)

Takara's LG release is my definitive Blurr, but I really do like the colour/tone of the Hasbro release, something about that slightly metallic teal like colour...

So I stuck a new head on it, and called it a "new" character. TR line is going to be great for this stuff.

I got the TakTom version too, the colours really bring this guy to life, and the Mold is not bad either, above (current) average articulation for a deluxe and his hollowness is disguised well.

Overall I'd say legends Blur is my second favourite TR release so far.

Where is the cheapest place at the moment to get the TakTom version?

I double-dipped and bought both the Hasbro and Takara Blurr (Hasbro version in-hand, waiting on the Takara one to arrive). Looking at the Hasbro one, I just don't get the thought process when it came to colouring TR Blurr. Generally speaking, when it comes to the new Headmaster toys you go Takara for cartoon likeness, Hasbro for toy likeness and yet, TR Blurr doesn't seem to do either? Closest match would be the representation of Blurr on his G1 toy box so perhaps that's what they were referencing. Poor choice of colours aside, this mold must have been an absolute labour of love for whoever designed it...It is just about perfect.

I saw LG Blurr when I was in Tokyo last week in a display case, and I was tempted to buy one but they were sold out. It does look MUCH nicer than TR Blurr, I must say (which I still found in Kmarts today and continued to pass on it).

Opened my Hasbro version to try it out and am very impressed. Don't mind the blues (and it definitely a color scheme that works better in vehicle mode than robot and gives the Headmaster extra deco), think the transformation is fun, looks great in both modes. Seems to be some paint wear already on the weapon though after a day of handling. Very happy with this toy and looking forward to opening the Legend version. Wouldn't even mind a third version in Marvel Comics colours.

Quote Originally Posted by doublespy View Post
    Oh the "floating" effect in alt mode is quite nice too.
    It's a really nice touch and works really well.

While the colours are quite bland, I do like how at least two of the darker shades of blue are metallic blue. I managed to get this toy loose-mint for a cheap price, but I definitely wouldn't pay full retail for it.

This mould is really nice, but sadly much of the detail is simply lost in the lack of colours on this toy, which you can see more clearly on Legends Blurr (which was sold out when I was in Japan! ). But of course, LG25 retails for 3200JPY (approx. AU$40), whereas the Hasbro one retails here for $25~30 (although it lacks the additional drone). Still disappointing when you compare other TR/LG figures where the TR version isn't nearly as stripped back on colours as the LG version (e.g. TR Wolfwire vs LG Weirdwolf; both figures have more or less the same amount of colours, just applied differently. On the plus side, the more uniform colour on the head looks better as it downplays the Headmaster aesthetic. I prefer this... you all know why. One downside (literally) of the head is the erectile dysfunction on the antenna, at least on mine. It's prone to dropping down at the slightest touch and I fear that it will become loose in time and lose its ability to stay propped up. Also, they've at least applied more colours on Haywire^Hyperfire, who's actually the best painted Titan Master figure I've seen so far in Titans Return. However it's not a terribly G1 accurate colour scheme (save for the black boots). I would've rather seen less colours on the Titan Master and more colour on the "Transtector."

The mould is otherwise really nice. They've done a superb job in giving Blurr a sleek robot mode with a fairly G1 accurate vehicle mode. This isn't easy to do; the G1 toy achieved this by being a bit of a backpackformer and is the weakest of the 1986 Cars. It's a lot better than the previous version which was the redeco of Drift - that body was always too bulky for Blurr (although it has cool guns (especially that sweet sniper's rifle) and the IDW-inspired head). I've handled TR Brainstorm before, and I think that this mould does work better as Blurr.

Recommended if cheap, but if you're considering paying RRP then you might as well spend a bit extra and get the TakaraTOMY version.

PHOTOS

As others have mentioned, the floating illusion on the vehicle mode is nice. I like how it has an open canopy too, like in the G1 cartoon/comics. Aerodynamically counter-intuitive for a high-speed rocket hover-car, but hey... G1 accuracy>physics, right? (cos friction can be such a drag )

I like how the shield can attach to the side of the arm and look/function more like an actual shield.

Comparison with G1

Haywire and Hyperfire; only the boots look similar

Thanks to having 5mm post weapons, G1 TM Blurr and TR Blurr can swap weapons. This should be the case with all Targetmasters (except TR Hot Rod).

Brilliant toy, clever engineering, looks great in both modes... except the colours. I know it's always best to judge a toy on its own merits, but the more I see of the LG version, the more disappointed I get at the Hasbro effort. I can see myself getting the LG version if the opportunity arises.

Otherwise, with Blurr, along with Galvatron, Gnaw and Wheelie, Titan Returns has provided a sense of completion to my '86 movie shelves.

M-Bot's Customs logo by M-bot2011

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms
    While you're there, click the "LIKE" button!

I got Blurr a while back and find him quite a revelation... I heard good things about this figure, and for once it lived up to the hype in my mind. Waist articulation, ok lots of the CW ones had this... but wrist swivels!? Amazing that worked that in when it was not necessary!! I do have my own reservations about the color choice given for the Hasbro version, but oh well.

I love my 2010 Generations Blurr, and still don't think this fully replaces that figure on my shelf, but it comes damn close!

This release inspired me to do a Duel Video: Titans Return vs. Generations Blurr!

Recent acquisitions: SS Leader Blackout & Deluxe Starscream, & FP Pinchar (Snarl)!
    Upcoming: SS Voyager OP, Megs, Brawl & Ironhide!
    Wishlist: Voyager Astrotrain & Octane (Thank you Hasbro!), Modern Dinobots (Thank you FP!)

Perth WAtch - YouTube - Sharing my passion for watches & horology
    Perth TransFan - YouTube - Sharing my interest in all things Transformers!

I've just played with a few TFs from a recent trip to Japan, and Blurr is pretty nice. Scourge is OK (it seemed a bit disappointingly basic, but has grown on me more since the first time I experienced him), TT Classics Blitzwing is a nice idea let down by just a few too many flaws, but Blurr is simple-yet-elegant. I really like the Classics Drift-remold version of Blurr too, but this one really captures the character perfectly.

I got him to sell on as part of a Classicsverse Movie set, but having him in hand I think I'll end up keeping him...