• Caramel

4 12.90%
  • Chocolate

4 12.90%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - Titans Return Hot Rod

FatalityPitt Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Cos I've reviewed both MP9 and MP28, and this toy feels like what MP Hot Rodimus would be if it were at a $25~30 Deluxe price point as opposed to MP38's 8000JPY ($95) RRP. So in terms of value for money, this toy gives you a lot of back for your buck.
    This figure has something that neither Masterpieces have; an opening cockpit. With that, you can re-enact the scene in the 1986 movie where Hot Rod transforms for the first time. "If you're gonna ride Daniel, ride in Style."... Of course, you'll need a Daniel figure too.

Can we get a pic with RTS Rodimus? I like mine, but this figure is looking pretty good, especially in car mode.
    Seeking the Following:
    - CW Brawl
    - Earthrise Runabout
    - Earthrise Thrust

Quote Originally Posted by FatalityPitt View Post
    This figure has something that neither Masterpieces have; an opening cockpit.
    MP-9 Rodimus has an opening cockpit for both Hot Rod and Rodimus Prime vehicular modes.
    Recent Acquisitions: MP-53+B Dia Burnout
    (Pre-)ordered: Missing Link C-02
    Wants: Encore Headmasters!

One anomaly with Titans Return Hot Rod is that his weapon post and fist holes aren't actually 5mm but slightly wider. The result is that Hot Rod's guns are not compatible with other 5mm fist-hole sized toys, and other figures that can hold 5mm post weapons cannot hold Hot Rod's guns. This also means that TR and G1 TM Hot Rod cannot exchange weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by Bidoofdude View Post
    Can we get a pic with RTS Rodimus? I like mine, but this figure is looking pretty good, especially in car mode.
    My RtS Rodimus is packed away cos he's for sale, so it was easier for me to grab my Classics Rodimus (same mould).

Quote Originally Posted by High_Q View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FatalityPitt View Post
    This figure has something that neither Masterpieces have; an opening cockpit. With that, you can re-enact the scene in the 1986 movie where Hot Rod transforms for the first time. "If you're gonna ride Daniel, ride in Style."... Of course, you'll need a Daniel figure too.
    MP-9 Rodimus has an opening cockpit for both Hot Rod and Rodimus Prime vehicular modes.
    Can confirm.

Although admittedly the canopy cannot close while Daniel is riding in it. Furthermore, TR Hot Rod's canopy opens from the reverse side that Hot Rod's does in TFTM. MP9's canopy is more accurate in this regard. TR Hot Rod is the first Hot Rod toy with a driver's compartment that can be occupied, albeit only by Firewire and not Daniel. Although in the G1 comics the Targetmaster Nebulans were known to ride inside their Autobot/Decepticon counterparts when in vehicle mode, as can be seen when Fracas piloted Scourge. If TR Hot Rod is meant to basically be the CHUGUR equivalent of Targetmaster Hot Rod, then it makes more sense for Firebolt/wire to ride him than Daniel anyway considering that:
    * In the G1 cartoon Daniel was binary bonded with Arcee, not Hot Rod.
    * In the G1 comics Daniel only existed in a few alternate future timelines in parallel universes※ where Hot Rod never became a Targetmaster (instead he became Rodimus Prime). In the main universe (Earth-91274), Hot Rod never became Rodimus Prime but instead became a Targetmaster. Thus he never knew Daniel and was only ever binary bonded to Firebolt. Furthermore, Spike and Fortress Maximus were killed on Earth-91274 during the events of Transformers: Generation 2.

-----------------------------------------------
    ※Namely the Primax 986.13Γ (an aborted future version of Earth-120185) and Primax 886.0Γ universes.

FatalityPitt Guest

Quote Originally Posted by High_Q View Post
    <eats humble pie>

I voted for "Become violent if anyone suggests you should own this figure".

I feel this Hot Rod really should have given us the MTMTE interpretation of the character, or waited for the next line and be partnered with a TM (which I'm expecting in the future when I'll probably cave and pick him up).

Break/Getaway is a CHUG character we haven't seen before yet is a repaint.
    Hot Rod is a CHUG character we HAVE seen before, gets a new mold and doesn't bring anything new or amazing to the table. Wish they'd put the extra money into Breakway!

I agreed with the general consensus regarding this fig, he's good but comparatively to other TR figs not amazing. His proportions are good, colours are vibrant, poseability is very good and he is a great replacement for the aging CHUG Hot Rod, who I felt was always too short. The new TR Hot Rod looks great alongside the 86 movie cast and I feel his new height is more inline with the other characters.

Too much "Hasbro grey" plastic on this guy. I like my Hot Rods with chromed (or at least silver) side exhausts. I had a friend ask me to chrome the grey pieces on his Hot Rod, and due to the huge number of pins (rather than screws) used in the construction of this toy (is it just me or are pins becoming more and more prolific in the engineering of modern TFs?), I couldn't satisfactorily get to a lot of the grey pieces without doing a heap of masking I haven't the time or inclination to do.

I'll post up some pics in the creative section of the bits I did do once I've taken some. Makes the toy look heaps better. I'm tempted to do the same thing to my own Hot Rod.

Still it's the better of the 2 modern Hot Rod moulds we have in the CHUG line.

M-Bot's Customs logo by M-bot2011

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms
    While you're there, click the "LIKE" button!

I find both Classics Rodimus and TR Hot Rod have their individual pros and cons. Rodimus has a more solid vehicle mode whereas Hot Rod is more of a panelformed car (the price you pay for having a less kibbly robot mode). Also, I can't ever get Hot Rod's canopy to sit completely flush when closed. I'm still not a fan of Hot Rod's new Headmaster head, although admittedly it doesn't look as bad IRL as I thought it would (they've done well in trying to downplay it). Rodimus has a stockier build which is more like the G1 toy, whereas Hot Rod has a slimmer build more like IDW Hot Rod. Rodimus' spoiler is also more prominent in robot mode, and he has a missile launcher and flip out buzzsaw in his wrist which Hot Rod lacks (his guns do nothing other than combine for a Titan Master to sit in). Rodimus' weapon also stows away nicely as the vehicle's exhaust, whereas Rodimus' guns can only clip onto the exterior of the vehicle. Rodimus' pipes are also silver instead of grey, which I reckon is a better alternative. And the Battle in Space version of Rodimus (as seen in my signature & sales thread) gives him a more similar colour scheme to G1 cartoon Hot Rod (which TR Hot Rod has); still for sale if anyone wants one </shameless.plug>

I like both toys, but I personally felt that Rodimus was well worth the $25 that I paid for him, whereas I'm mightly glad that I got Hot Rod for $15; I wouldn't have paid more. I'm happy to keep both figures though (and I'm just selling off an excess variant of the Classics toy).

FatalityPitt Guest

I suppose if anyone is still in favour of the Classics/RTS-BIS Rodimus mold, and feels a bit of buyer remorse from getting TR Hot Rod; they can take the TR Hot Rod, stick a red and yellow TM head on it, and call it "Flame".

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Flame_(Marvel)