Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Paint's to use?

Default What Paints to use?

I'm attempting my first repaint and i'd like to know what the best paints and methods are to make it look good (as in no paint chipping or anything like that)
    if anyone could give me some advice i'd apreciate it

I dont do much in the way of customising TF's anymore... But when I did and when I do My Zoids, for big spray jobs I usualy use Touch Up Car spray paint (Not enamel.. it fills in all the details and is too sticky... and chips.)

I only ever use Tamyia Acrylics for anything that involves a brush. Ive yet to try the Tamyia Spray cans... but some others might know more.

cool thanks Maxie, i'm going paint shopping on wednesday, now i know what to look for

I just use model paints. You can also use a purity seal to protect it afterwards.

I know others on the boards here use the Tamiya paints with great results, I've used some spray can Tamiya with decent results.

However for most of my painting I use Games Workshops paints. They adhere to most figures very well, and if you hit it with a gloss coat at the end of the job they dont chip or rub off.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

Yep can't go wrong with Tamiya stuff.
    Also I think it's a common misconception that the final clear coat prevents chipping and flaking. Not so. It's how well you prepare the surface beforehand with sanding and primer that determines how well the paint sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by gamblor916 View Post
    It's how well you prepare the surface beforehand with sanding and primer that determines how well the paint sticks.
    +1000 preperation is the most imprtant part

ok, so what's the best way to paint it/ Prepare it for painting?

Quote Originally Posted by loophole View Post
    +1000 preperation is the most imprtant part
    yeah.. but too bad its also the most tedious part of painting.

tamiyas primer surfacer is a good start works on plastics pretty well and is in a spray can for easy use, if you can sand the surface down beforehand with some 800-1200 grit sanding paper and you will be on your way and make sure the parts are clean before you paint i sometimes just use a toothbrush with a bit of water or wax and grease remover

tamiya spray paint is good overall too btw and easily accesabile at most hobby shops with a wide range of colours