Thread: Comic Review: TFP Beast Hunters

Default Comic Review: TFP Beast Hunters

Just got issue 1 & 2. My thoughts:

Very much still trying to show the connection between Fall of Cybertron & the Transformers: Prime cartoon. However it seems to focus far more on events on Cybertron post the grand exodus and on those few that remained.

Connections to FOC:
    * The 5 Dinobots & Kickback all shown in their FOC modes
    * Planet depleated of energon and all but abandoned (which is most every continuity anyway)
    * Discussions about Shockwaves experiments

Connections to TF: Prime
    * One of the insecticons shown is an insecticon from the current cartoon
    * Planet depleated of energon and all but abandoned (see - told ya )
    * Discussions about Shockwaves latest experiments with The Forged (aka the Predacons from TFP/ROTD)

I found comic one to be monstly set up, with Grimlock bearing the burdon of leadership, a couple of good Dinobot vs Insecticon fights, and showing what remaining outposts of life still exist on both sides. Interesting to see the schism between Autobot factions and how they have at least 3 outposts with not a lot of communication between them.

Firestar showing up was a nice touch, though I felt she could have been drawn better, still great to see her though. Airwave showing up and playing a major role was definetly something I didn't see coming and he was used very well. He was still a base commander, but of an Autobot Fort rather than a Decepticon Airport. A great shout out to G1 with a character that has been barely touched upon over the years.

What I really enjoyed was Sludge & Snarl getting their own adventure. It's usually Grimlock, Slag & Swoop that are in the forefront and the other two making up the numbers. I really enjoyed seeing these two strike out on thier own. Snarl still retains his medic skills from ROTD, but it was more the look into Sludge's inner thoughts that was interesting. I'd happily read more adventures from the two of them.

Overall I'm enjoying these comics better than I thought I would. The art from the ROTD comic is still there, and still not great, but certainly suffices and is better than we are seeing in ReGen or issue 17 of RID.

A good comic that for me is exceeding the meager expectations I had for it

SPOILERS!

Airwave bugs me.

First of all, they didn't even tweak his design to make him look more FoCish... he just looks like an oversized Micromaster. Oh wait, he is an oversized Micromaster! Wow... it's like seeing a cheap oversized KO walking around this story. Secondly, big reveal - he's a traitor. Wow... using a G1 Decepticon as an Autobot and then revealing him as a bad guy, what a surprise! </sarcasm> Even Michael Bay did a much better job in Dark of the Moon with Sentinel Prime being the traitor! (and you know things can't be good if you're being outclassed by Michael Bay ). Also... his jet mode looks the same as his G1 jet mode. Somewhat odd seeing an Earthen jet fighter on pre-Earth contact Cybertron.

I found the story to be rather mediocre. The premise is interesting enough, and it was kinda neat (if not somewhat fanboyish) to see the retcon they made for Sludge's survival. I'm still not a fan of the artwork. Feels too Manny Galan-esque (re: G2). Really wish they'd change artists. I'm finding Monstrosity to be a better story about Dinobots on Cybertron than this one. :/

Just finished reading the 6th installment. I'm surprised at how dry this series of comics is coming off. I mean, all the ingredients are there: The Dinobots from FOC, Insecticons from multiple continuities, a post-apocalyptic wasteland for bots to try and survive in, characters from different generations making guest appearances (Airwave & Firestar from G1, Blackout from the live action movie etc) - this series of comics technically has it all!

But yet it still comes off as dry...

I don't know if it's the lackluster storytelling, the average art, the hopelessness that pervades the storyline of the left-behind-bots stuck on a dying world, but it just can't seem to generate much interest. And that is saying A LOT conisdering the DINOBOTS are the main characters!

With the ending of the Prime cartoon, and the FOC & TFPrime toys coming to an end I don't think this comic will be around much longer. But since I am 6 issues in I am kinda determined to see it through to the end