Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - Construct-Bots Wave 1

Default Toy Review - Construct-Bots Wave 1

Series - New series
    Sub-line - Construction
    Size/class - Scout, Elite, Triple Changer and Ultimate
    Wave - 1
    New/remould/redeco - new moulds, with some pieces shared across the classes.
    Released here - August 2013
    Approximate Retail Price - Various prices for each class
    Approximate Size - Varies
    Allegiance - Autobot / Decepticon
    Alt-mode - Each has a standard and customisable alt mode
    Main Features/Gimmicks - Build a character, interchangeable parts with other figures from other size classes, customability.
    Main Colours - Grey, Black, white, green, red, blue, gold, tan, purple
    Main Accessories - Various

Scout Class:
    - Ironhide
    - Starscream

Elite Class:
    - Wheeljack
    - Soundwave

Triple Changers:
    - Bumblebee
    - Blitzwing

Ultimate:
    - Optimus vs. Megatron
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

Mods please feel free to remove/update/change these posts as you see fit. Also could not find good pictures to use for the opening thread.

Review time:

I ordered both Elite and Scout sized figures, but only had time to build one. Since other members had mentioned building Ironhide I went with Starscream.

Starscream
    Series - Construct-Bots
    Sub-line - Construction
    Size/class - Scout
    Wave - 1
    New/remould/redeco - new moulds, with some pieces shared across the classes.
    Released here - August 2013
    Approximate Retail Price - Various prices for each class
    Approximate Size - Varies
    Allegiance -Decepticon
    Alt-mode - Futuristic jet
    Main Features/Gimmicks - build your own bionicle style hero, interchangeable pieces, transform without removing or changing parts like the kreo sets.
    Main Colours - Grey, Black, white, red, blue, gold.
    Main Accessories - 2 mini guns

Starscream is the smallest of the new Construct-Bots sets, running in at a measly 40 pieces (compared to 45 for his case mate Ironhide).

The build is pretty easy and quick, but that has nothing to do with the instructions. You could build Starscream from a look at just the packaging which is good, what they advertise is what you get. He has a great range of movement due to the tight ball and socket joints, and there is plenty of opportunity to customise and adapt the figure to look and stand however you want. The build is easy, fun and as you build you are already thinking of ways to better or adapt the very basic design.

The concept is fantastic, even if the whole figure feels oversized and hollow, there are lots of gaps and ugly pieces, but it is a decent start, future waves should be able to rectify the build issues and overall aesthetic of these toys later on.

What I cannot understand is the quality of the whole package. While the packaging is very nice, with raised printing and shiny pictures, once you open the box it is all downhill. The plastic itself feels brittle and tacky, like KO toys you buy from the markets. Some pieces are different colours or look different than they do in the instructions, not a problem for an adult, but could be annoying or problematic for younger hands and eyes.
    Another issue is the instructions themselves. They are printed poorly on what feels like cheap toilet paper and look worse than something you would've printed off your home printer a decade ago. Overall it cheapens the feel of a product that should feel special and different and engaging.

Worst of all Starscream's head is only 1/3 painted black. The rest is Hasbro grey. This is the type of QC that should be picked up on immediately, as mine is far from a one off case.

Overall this is an okay toy. It gets the build right, I was interested in the whole process even through my annoyances at the cheapness of Hasbro. The original design is basic and hollow, which is partially to cut costs, and partially to invite customisation. Parts and pieces will be making their way into many kitbashes and scratchbuilds in the future I am sure.
    They will not be replacing your real transformers, nor do I believe they are ever intended to. It is a widening of the brand that in no way dilutes or reflects poorly (any more than other QC issues in the main lines do) the transformers brand.

If only Hasbro could employ someone with a good design background to create their Construct-Bots and Kreo lines to give them a bit more of a magic or special feel. As is, they are a pale imitation of Lego Bionicle and subsequent lines.

Hopefully the other 3 figures I have yet to construct can brighten my outlook for this subline.

Cat is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Short and sweet: the smaller size classes are awesome. Absolutely love them.

Do NOT buy the triple-changers. They're nothing but disappointment and frustration.

I started on the smallest size class and worked my way up... and after the two Scouts, I was a bit disappointed at how "cookie cut" these are.
    Each one, no matter the size, is made up of the same 16 core parts, with differently moulded bits attached to the same spots. It felt like the Kreo Build sets, with each of those being the same core build with different kibble.

And of that base/core build, the kibble build were of just one of two formats - car and jet - and any figure in each format transforming almost exactly the same.

After the first two, I was actually able to build the next ones and convert them without looking at the instructions.

I like the idea behind the concept, and I think there will be a lot of people who will like them (especially kids who get a couple sets and customise them - swap parts - because they don't know the classic characters enough to keep them "pure"). But for me, it just got a bit too repetitive after just two figures... and I am not keen to customise because I am collecting them for the characters, not the customising concept.

I will say that I was pleasantly surprised that these actually transform once built, unlike Kreo that require a complete rebuild to make each mode.
    Even the triplechangers are properly transforming figures, but not between the two vehicle modes. But labelling them as "triplechangers" is inaccurate. They are more like a "duo transformer", in that you decide which alt-mode that character can become, and you attach the kibble to match it before transforming it. (i.e. - if you want Bumblebee to be a car Autobot, you add the wheels and car kibble before you play with Bumblebee - in other words, it will NOT have kibble on it to look like it can be a jet AND a car, so is not even designed to look like a proper triplechanger)
    But even when you ignore the "triplechanger" claim, those two transform exactly like other car and jet Construct-Bots, so the only bonus feature is that you get to decide what alt-mode you want to customise the robot into (what kibble you want on it).

Probably the big (objective) complaint I have is how the Elite class (second smallest) is not worth the price difference over the Scout class (the smallest ones).
    Since these figures are all using the same core 16 pieces plus unique kibble, Ironhide and Starscream are the same size as Soundwave and Wheeljack... with similar amount of parts (Ironhide has 45 parts, Soundwave has 48). But it is a 50% increase in pricing.
    The Triplechangers are the same size as the Scouts, but are 2 & 1/2 times the price. The only difference is a second set of kibble bits to create a car or a jet... and that's only another 20 bits on top of the standard 40-45. Hardly warranting a 250% increase in pricing (of US retail prices).

My recommendation - if you aren't a completist or a fan of particular characters, just buy the Scouts. They are the best value figures, as they give you the exact same experience of the concept and the same sized figures as in the other (more expensive) sets.

Quote Originally Posted by i_amtrunks View Post
    Worst of all Starscream's head is only 1/3 painted black. The rest is Hasbro grey. This is the type of QC that should be picked up on immediately, as mine is far from a one off case.
    And I thought mine was just one that slipped past QC. Sounds like they might have all been mis-painted.

I'll have to see if this is a common thing on the global fansites.

Looks like it is with all Starscreams, so is an odd factory error... as it doesn't seem to be intentional, because there is nothing mentioned to say it was meant to be like that.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Looks like it is with all Starscreams, so is an odd factory error... as it doesn't seem to be intentional, because there is nothing mentioned to say it was meant to be like that.
    Just more pathetic QC. It seems to be on every Starscream head. Certainly something that should have been picked up on.

I think they look sexy in their packaging, they should sell pretty well.
    personally I will probably wait for a sale and grab soundwave and Wheeljack, they are the most appealing to me visually.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Considering the price for the size of the Scouts, compared to regular Deluxe figures, they are definitely look like good value. They are a bigger figure that can convert, and even on the shelves it is a bigger box next to the bubbles of a Deluxe (or even a Cmdr class figure that is the same price).

Cat is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Yeah, all Starscreams are mispainted.

The one at Hasbro's booth at Botcon (or maybe it was SDCC) even had it. Even they couldn't find a properly painted one.

I do think these are a really good value for the smaller sizes. I really don't believe you'll feel ripped off for the smaller kits. They're large, contain a decent number of pieces, look good, offer lots of play in transforming and easy customisation, and are just FUN.

The larger ones just aren't worth it. Though they attempt to smooth it out with the storage tray, which is...well....yay?

Also, some parts are in the corner in a separate tray. One is the head, which makes sense, nice to keep it separate and semi-visible to the buyer, but also a couple of other random pieces. You'd think they're extras or spares, a bit extra for your cash for screwing around. NOPE. They're actually needed. There's absolutely NO reason why those pieces couldn't just be in the bags with the rest of the same-shaped pieces. It's strange.