Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comic reviews: DARK CYBERTRON

Default Comic reviews: DARK CYBERTRON

As this mega event series begins soon and has its own opening issue and then jumping between MTMTE and RiD I thought it'd be appropriate to have a review and discussion thread all of its own.

Anyone else super excited?

I'm very keen because I thought the Death of Optimus a Prime was a brilliant combination of James and John's writing and hope that their combination here is even more successful over a long arc.

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-...1377121252.jpg
    Last edited by griffin; 2nd October 2013 at 02:14 PM. Reason: removed hotlinked image
    Twit and insta @lukeabarnett

Not excited. We had nearly two years of RiD doing sweet f.a. Now we have something building out of Shockwave, something more related to the Furman stories than anything more current. I'm glad to be getting a more coherent and tied together universe after the way Costa and McCarthy destroyed all that had come before them, but not sure Barber is up to it, writing a way forward month in, month out. If you want someone to connect the dots in established continuity and make gold out of lead, he is the man you want, but his writing in RiD has left much to be desired.

Roberts on the other hand has been in top form almost the entire run of MtMtE, so that excites me, seeing how the two can combine the stories they have concocted with distance such a big problem.

Personally I would have preferred a crossover with the DJD ( with their mentioning in the preview for RiD, I hope it comes to pass at some point) or even the scavengers, as both of those units have been more interesting and better developed than anything RiD has given us.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

I'm hoping that the quality of RID is raised and MTMTE isn't lowered too far. The fact they are cowriting each issue is promising and makes me more interested in the RID issues than I've been in a long time. I'm guessing the RID internal narration will disappear?

I'm not too keen on the idea that the Lost Light is suddenly home again. The worse thing about any crossovers is when a creative team is doing good work and then has to shoehorn or abruptly change their book's direction to tie in to the latest crossover or line direction (this has happened far too much in the big two comic companies lately).

So the ongoing story of this crew of Autobots on a voyage(r) lost in space is now over and they are going be home again? It could open opportunities to mix up the MTMTE crew up a bit but it does break the momentum. I'm also kind of hoping that, despite the cover above, Rodimus and his crew are involved in the story without actually returning to Cybertron.

With the latest issue of MTMTE and hot rods "confession" about overlord and the sort make me curious about the whole banishment of drift and everything, was this a special mission cover up in disguise

And the fact that everyone on cybertron thinks the crew is dead you can't glance over the homecoming in a few issues.

And what of that transmission that was sent wayyyy back when the lost light jumped. When is that sent?.

While I am all for "crossovers" I don't think transformers really needs one and it feels like an attempt to inject some life into RID

MTMTE certainly doesn't really benefit out of this.
    UP UP CRONULLA

Follow Me on:

Twitter - @Sharky_Wattsy

Surely the Lost Light cannot return to Cybertron, they are a long way out and it would not make sense for their story to do so, they need to be out in space.

But that makes me wonder how they can crossover, unless via flashback, or planet hopping, seeing other ores etc?

Yeah, I think RiD often comes out as a poorer cousin as MTMTE is filled to the bring with character, dialogue, pretty much consistently amazing art and it culture and themes. I've enjoyed the thematic development of RiD but the execution and pacing hasn't been as consistent in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by i_amtrunks View Post
    Surely the Lost Light cannot return to Cybertron, they are a long way out and it would not make sense for their story to do so, they need to be out in space.

But that makes me wonder how they can crossover, unless via flashback, or planet hopping, seeing other ores etc?
    There will be some crossover, but the solicitations have been clear that the Lost Light ISNT back on Cybertron

So what are the odds that come the end of Dark Cybertron we have a fully functioning Nightbeat back?

Secondary market open on if there will be a toy made for Nightbeat and will it be a repaint of the comic Bumblebee toy?

I don't know if I want the old friend Prime meets in the DU to be Kup or Nightbeat - but either would rock

Interesting read here with an interview with the authors, maybe some minor plot spoilers but basically confirming the books' characters are still separate:
    http://www.newsarama.com/19117-trans...franchise.html

The answer to why Dreadwing is at least partly honest, but really "Hasbro said so" is all they need to say.