Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MISB vs MIB values

Kranix is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Default MISB vs MIB values

I've been looking over the sales of various G1 reissue Transformers recently and its made me wonder how much you devalue these items by opening them and applying the stickers. Are they worth 50% of the average MISB price? 25%?

I now have a version of nearly all reissues and bought them all MISB. I've opened every one transformed it to robot mode once and very carefully applied the stickers (i'm a bit OCD like that) and displayed them in a dust proof cabinet and stored the boxes. So if I was to transform them all back and put them in their boxes for sale would that count as MIB or just used? Is it the opening of the box or the applying of stickers that mainly determines the value? Or is it just not worth much if either has happened?

I doubt anyone on here would be interested in reissues with their stickers applied so I would try my hand at selling on ebay but is there a way of working out the value of reissues other than just looking on ebay? So I would know how to price them should I choose to sell up? I would be tempted to sell them in lots, is this a bad idea?

Thanks

Megatron Guest

Hi Kranix.

I would say that a MIB reissue might be worth from anywhere between 75 to 90% of its MISB price, simply becuase MISB reissues are so plentiful that its quite easy for collectors to buy them brand new, compared to say the originals or some harder to get lines.

If you open the box, transform the toy once, then put it back in the box as it came, with all paperwork and accessories, including unused stickers, then you can count that as MIB. However, if the stickers are applied, or for example, a bullet has been taken off its tree (I think that's what it's called), then I wouldn't count it as MIB though a lot of sellers will still call it that, which is still acceptable as long as the toy itself is still mint and you provide an accurate description in your ad so your buyers won't be disappointed or unsure about what they are getting.

In terms of MISB items, if the box has been opened by either tearing of the packaging or cutting of the tape, then it's basically game over. The toy will be considered MIB at that point. Of course, if the box has been opened but nothing else has been done to the toy (no stickers applied, the toy not even taken out of its packaging), then that is the next best thing to MISB. As MIB, the less that it has been touched or played with, the more it will retain a lot of its original value, but as a seller it still helps to give as much detail about the item as possible.

Reissue values on eBay will give you a good idea of what you might be able to sell your items for. Use it as a rough guide to decide on a reserve price that you are happy with and that you think is fair. Selling stuff in lots is fine, though you might not get a fast sale. You might also get a few enquiries asking if you are willing to split the lot, so be prepared for that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kranix View Post
    I doubt anyone on here would be interested in reissues with their stickers applied
    Since you "carefully applied the stickers", there are heaps of people here who would be interested. OTCA is one of the least anal Transformers communities on the internet - most of us are all about having toys out of their boxes and on display.

yeah i'd defo be interested in a few to fill some gaps in my collection, i'm not worried about misb , and carefully applied stickers saves me from messing it up with my unco hands :P

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I would treasure a MIB and decals not applied more than a MISB. My take on it is that MISB may have defects and there is a real chance and anyone's guess and you cannot blame the seller either.

Saying that, is not disrespect to MISB collectors as well, they probably have one opened and another MISB.

And is agreed selling it here is most forgiving.
    Especially if you got photos.

I've been looking over the sales of various G1 reissue Transformers recently and its made me wonder how much you devalue these items by opening them and applying the stickers. Are they worth 50% of the average MISB price? 25%?

I now have a version of nearly all reissues and bought them all MISB. I've opened every one transformed it to robot mode once and very carefully applied the stickers (i'm a bit OCD like that) and displayed them in a dust proof cabinet and stored the boxes. So if I was to transform them all back and put them in their boxes for sale would that count as MIB or just used? Is it the opening of the box or the applying of stickers that mainly determines the value? Or is it just not worth much if either has happened?

I doubt anyone on here would be interested in reissues with their stickers applied so I would try my hand at selling on ebay but is there a way of working out the value of reissues other than just looking on ebay? So I would know how to price them should I choose to sell up? I would be tempted to sell them in lots, is this a bad idea?

Thanks
    To a MISB collector they would be next to worthless, but for someone like myself who just wants a complete figure in excellent condition I would say they are worth around market value/retail value (whichever is greater)

For someone who prefers stickers unapplied, maybe subtract the cost of reprolabels (if available).

Megatran Guest

I now have a version of nearly all reissues and bought them all MISB. I've opened every one transformed it to robot mode once and very carefully applied the stickers (i'm a bit OCD like that) and displayed them in a dust proof cabinet and stored the boxes.

I doubt anyone on here would be interested in reissues with their stickers applied
    Hey Kranix,

I'm after Reissues (Takara TF Collection and Hasbro Commemorative Series). Check out my wants in my signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Megatron View Post
    I would say that a MIB reissue might be worth from anywhere between 75 to 90% of its MISB price,
    This sounds right. Be the same for Masterpieces also id say

You can't place a price on the decades of fun that the toy gives you from having opened and played with it.

I think MIB collecting is pretty cool. You can display it in the box and feel free to take it out and have a play if you feel like it. That's why I don't like MISB collecting. You're essentially collecting boxes, not the toys themselves. Of course, if that's what you enjoy, go ahead by all means.

I've seen a couple MIB toys around the web, they demand a bit usually. MISB goes outright crazy sometimes.
    Seeking the Following:
    - CW Brawl
    - Earthrise Runabout
    - Earthrise Thrust