Thread: The Prerenting Thread

Galvatran Guest

Default The Prerenting Thread

A thread for all things you need to know before diving into the renting game. Discussion is not limited to just house/apartment/shop.

Pass on your wisdom to others here.

Aim to leave the place in better condition than you found it. I sometimes looked for small/cheap jobs I could do around the place every few months, went to the estate agent/landlord and asked permission to do them. It kind of took them by surprise, but they let me do them and it put me very much in the good books with them for if you were a few days late with rent or something. Got a glowing referral from them at the end of the tenancy, which held us in good stead for getting the next place. Competition for tenancies in nice areas or with nice properties can be fierce, and letters of referral like than can be invaluable.

Also, if you are going to be late with the rent, tell them up front and as early as possible so they feel secure.

M-Bot's Customs logo by M-bot2011

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms
    While you're there, click the "LIKE" button!

Galvatran Guest

Why do rental properties state $ per week then charge per month? So damn frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Galvatran View Post
    Why do rental properties state $ per week then charge per month? So damn frustrating.
    Who is this through?

Both real estate agencies I've rented with have said that they don't care whether I pay weekly, fortnightly or monthly, so long as it's consistent (and all paid obviously).
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

Galvatran Guest

Several regional Vic real estate agents. I think it's because it looks more affordable when advertised as per week than per calendar month.