Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FansProject's Crossfire 2: Bruticus Upgrade

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default FansProject's Crossfire 2: Bruticus Upgrade

I won't go into much detail on the Crossfire 2 set as enough has been said and discussed about it. However I will say that the hype is justified as the set is freaking AWESOME! The improvement from the base mold is immeasurable as you can see in the pics bellow.

Munitioner and Explorer are very nifty figures even if not at the same complexity level as Defender. However they are extremely well executed and although their plastic quality seems a little less than previous FansProject products, they are still miles ahead of any Hasbro/Takara figures.

Most of the accessories for the individual bots fit superbly and several of them have a transforming aspect with different configurations at an individual bot level. In Gestalt mode they either combine or transform into larger weapons or parts for Bruticus such as joints and waist plate. Unlike the Crossfire1 accessories, these fit more naturally to individual figures as they do look like proper weapons rather than makeshift accessories from combiner kibble. The accessories also effectively upgrade the vehicle modes, specially Onslaught and Vortex.

Bruticus also gains new shoulder joints which allow for much greater shoulder movement as well as better upper body proportions.

I will however point out some of the Cons of the design so that I don't sound like a raving Fanboy lunatic

- Onslaught's missile pods do not stay securely and severely limit articulation.
    - Bruticus waist piece is a little easy to pop off (although I could be putting it in wrong)
    - Explorer's shuttle nose is fairly thin on plastic given it's mass and it seems that during factory assembly mine developed a couple of tiny stress marks.
    - Explorer has no landing gears as such but it's ability to mount up on Onslaught's launch platform makes up for it.

The Control: Bruticus as displayed before the upgrade.

Comparison between Energon and G1 Bruticus (Scale Control)

Xfire 2a & Xfire2b boxes front/back

Combaticons in Vehicle Mode: Surprisingly, Onslaught's new flatbed truck is actually pretty solid

Combaticons in Robot Mode

Onslaught in Launch Platform mode

Onslaught with an alternate (not as instructed) and more G1 configuration

Comparison with G1 Bruticus

Bruticus with Rifle and Combat knife

Bruticus weilding his dual shotguns

Last edited by kup; 24th September 2010 at 10:59 AM.

Sweet I got mine today as well. My cousin dropped by and I immediately put him together!! Erm my Bruticus' waist doesnt pop off easy - did you peg it in the screwholes it was designed for it to fit in properly? I had a little dull moment though, I didnt figure out imediately that you have to remove the old Bruticus head and replace it completely with the new one... had to take a second look at the picture instructions , and then duuh?! after that everything went well. I guess it is just your explorer's quirk kup, mine has no stressmark.... I wont be putting any pics as youve extensively covered it already. Swweeeeeettt!!!
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Quote Originally Posted by liegeprime View Post
    Sweet I got mine today as well. My cousin dropped by and I immediately put him together!! Erm my Bruticus' waist doesnt pop off easy - did you peg it in the screwholes it was designed for it to fit in properly? I had a little dull moment though, I didnt figure out imediately that you have to remove the old Bruticus head and replace it completely with the new one... had to take a second look at the picture instructions , and then duuh?! after that everything went well. I guess it is just your explorer's quirk kup, mine has no stressmark.... I wont be putting any pics as youve extensively covered it already. Swweeeeeettt!!!
    The stress marks on my Explorer are very tiny.You have to know where to look to see them, it's just me being pedantic. However still be careful with that section, it still seems rather thin for the pressure it's expected to hold with the pegged arms being popped in and out.

Both Explorer and Munitioner are awesome toys in their own right. Both figures have a lot of appropriate personality in them. I may take more pictures just of them, they are almost worth the price alone even without the Gestalt.

Haven't taken much interest in these upgrade kits but this looks very impressive.

So... are these just snap-on pieces which attach to Hasbro's Bruticus toy?
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Haven't taken much interest in these upgrade kits but this looks very impressive.

So... are these just snap-on pieces which attach to Hasbro's Bruticus toy?
    Some parts are snap in, others are peg in and others are 'clamp' in. The result is overall pretty solid, much more so than the original Energon Bruticus set up.

There is only one part replacement as LiegePrime mentioned, the Energon Bruticus head needs to be unhinged and remove from Onslaught; then replaced by the new head but since it's a 'snap out' part, you can easily put the old head back in but who would want to do that?

Awesome write up and pictorial Kup, I really like the comparing of the 3 incarnations of such a Brutal set of Characters (Couldn't resist).

This, along with all the acquisitions posts, is causing me to grind my teeth with anticipation for my sets to arrive, of which I'm annoyed with coz people who paid 1 week ago are getting theirs before myself and I paid 2 months ago!.

Please do take some more pics of Explorer Blastoff and Munitioner Swindle please, as I'd like to see them more closeup than previous pics released.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    Some parts are snap in, others are peg in and others are 'clamp' in. The result is overall pretty solid, much more so than the original Energon Bruticus set up.

There is only one part replacement as LiegePrime mentioned, the Energon Bruticus head needs to be unhinged and remove from Onslaught; then replaced by the new head but since it's a 'snap out' part, you can easily put the old head back in but who would want to do that?
    Thanks Kup It's amazing what they come up with. It looks like a completely different bot and 100 times better.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    Bruticus weilding his dual shotguns
    but if hes wielding dual shotguns at the same time, how is he suppose to pump them and reload??
    hehehe... j/k.

nice review and pics dude.

just have 2 questions.
    1) does the set allow you to switch swindle and brawl around in the combined mode. say for eg, if you wanted brawl as the right leg and swindle is the left leg? just curious.
    2) in combined mode are all of the parts used up and there are no left over pieces/kibble?

Quote Originally Posted by bruticus View Post
    but if hes wielding dual shotguns at the same time, how is he suppose to pump them and reload??
    hehehe... j/k.
    Haven't you seen Terminator 2? Look at Arnie@3:05. Just imagine him with a shotgun on each hand

just have 2 questions.
    1) does the set allow you to switch swindle and brawl around in the combined mode. say for eg, if you wanted brawl as the right leg and swindle is the left leg? just curious.
    2) in combined mode are all of the parts used up and there are no left over pieces/kibble?
    1) Yes you can but the feet will be not have the ankle joint bending in the correct direction as each foot is individually tailored for the figure. However there is little negative impact visually as the feet are symmetrical enough to not look awkward or 'wrong' even with the wheels now in the inner side than outer but due to the ankles, there is some minor poseability lost.

2) All parts are used except for the now obsolete Energon weapons and old Bruticus head.

Like it, Need it, Want it.

Something else for the unattainable wish list

Seriously though it looks great. fantastic pics!