Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First look at prime toy for tf5 line

yeesh, ugly.
    Twit and insta @lukeabarnett

It's definitely a new mould which looks less kibbley than the AOE Primes, but also looks simpler and less interesting. Although not surprising if it's a smaller/cheaper Voyager. I'm just generally not a fan of the AoE/FK Optimus Prime design and I'm happy enough with the second Leader figure from AoE so I'll probably skip this.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    It's definitely a new mould which looks less kibbley than the AOE Primes, but also looks simpler and less interesting.
    I thought it should be more complicated by the looks of it.

You can't really beat the simplicity of a leader toy wearing the entire truck chassis on the back can you

Nice at least it makes it easy for me to save money.

Quote Originally Posted by doublespy View Post
    I thought it should be more complicated by the looks of it.

You can't really beat the simplicity of a leader toy wearing the entire truck chassis on the back can you
    The first AoE Leader Optimus Prime is very much a backpackformer, but the second AoE Leader Optimus Prime does a better job in distributing more of the chassis along the shoulders and hips, using the panels to form the robot's armour. It's still got a backpack but it's significantly smaller than the first Leader. The second Leader Class Prime is probably as good as they can make a toy based on the ridiculous screen design which has most of Optimus Prime's truck mode being magically swallowed up into his lower back.

This FK Optimus Prime seems to be not much better than the first Leader Optimus Prime with much of the chassis on the back, and the back of the cab in the truck mode looks a bit odd. But it's probably as good as they could make it at a Voyager size and price point (again, it's no worse than AoE Voyager Galvatron). Ultimately I think that many of the AoE (and likely FK) toys are being hindered by the current kibble-free screen designs which are counter intuitive to being adapted into toys. Short of giving them a Masterpiece budget which would make these toys too expensive for the primary demographic market.

Looking at the small size of the hip pins i doubt this is a voyager (and i know the shoulder pins are big looking). This looks quite similar to the 2nd (smaller) leader figure from DOTM which looks like a voyager compared to the larger leaders before it. This has some smarter design choices like how all wheels fold into the calves. It will have a backpack but it will be better than previous 'knight' Optimii.
    "I am not a gun. I'm hitting people with a hammer. On Mars."
    The Iron Giant / David Wildgoose

Painted properly could be a very nice figure... I hated the FE and AOE leader Prime, but ended up getting both of them (the Armour Knight TT version I have both the normal and black version) so the right deco is what sells me on these movie toys!

Happy to wait and see, good to see they're trying to move the kibble around.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    The first AoE Leader Optimus Prime is very much a backpackformer, but the second AoE Leader Optimus Prime does a better job in distributing more of the chassis along the shoulders and hips, using the panels to form the robot's armour. It's still got a backpack but it's significantly smaller than the first Leader. The second Leader Class Prime is probably as good as they can make a toy based on the ridiculous screen design which has most of Optimus Prime's truck mode being magically swallowed up into his lower back.

This FK Optimus Prime seems to be not much better than the first Leader Optimus Prime with much of the chassis on the back, and the back of the cab in the truck mode looks a bit odd. But it's probably as good as they could make it at a Voyager size and price point (again, it's no worse than AoE Voyager Galvatron). Ultimately I think that many of the AoE (and likely FK) toys are being hindered by the current kibble-free screen designs which are counter intuitive to being adapted into toys. Short of giving them a Masterpiece budget which would make these toys too expensive for the primary demographic market.
    On the contrary, I think this FK Prime does a much better job at distributing the truck parts all over the body, without compromising the robot mode look much. The second AOE Leader Prime was surely better than that atrocious FE figure, but does nothing to change the chassis of the truck. The designer probably just gave up and left it there. The underside of the truck is now mostly behind the legs and much more compact backpack is formed from the truck cab. Huge improvement overall.

I look forward to seeing more of this mold.

These toys are often designed by the same team/people. Time may also play a key factor. FE may have had the shortest time frame because they wanted the toy out before the movie had hit cinemas, then perhaps the 2nd AoE Leader Prime had a bit more time because it was a later wave released. FK Leader Prime is coming out 3 years later, so they've had substantially more time to work on the design. I still don't know if the toy is that much better to warrant getting it. It's not like when I saw pics of ROTF Leader Optimus Prime and thought, "Damn! I want that!" Although the first movie Leader Prime is actually still a really nice toy. Although not as screen accurate, it does have a more fun and intuitive transformation and IMO was the best Optimus Prime toy ever made since 1995's Laser Optimus Prime.

The thing that disappoints me is that with the first 3 movies, each Leader Optimus Prime toy was an improvement over the last, but all the AOE Leader Optimus Primes feel like a step backwards. Also, my AoE Leader Primes were freebies. I'd happily accept a FK Optimus Prime for free, but not sure if I'd pay for one.

Didn't Hasbro say something to the effect of there are not going to be a ton of movie toys this time and the will remain focused on TR, RID and RB? Personally I'm over movie toys so I really just want MP's and Generations.
    I have a list of all G1 characters that have been released in CHUG form. You can find it here. Please feel free to let me know if I got anything wrong so I can fix it.