Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Toys R Us administrator has announced windup

bowspearer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 1AZRAEL1 View Post
    People need to work. People in retail are always needed. I deal with self entitled people every day in transport. Is it as simple as retraining and moving on? No. Customers need a wakeup call and not flip out at the workers
    I'm not sure what it's like in Transport, but I can tell you that the customers you refer to aren't the reason I said what I said. Have a good read of what I just posted, including my conversations with former colleagues who have confirmed that it isn't just me when I spoke to them. Retail is an exercise in masochism not just because of the customers, but because retail employers these days are generally scum and treat their employees like slaves.

Like I said, the best thing someone in retail can do these days is do whatever it takes to re-skill so they never have to work in retail again. Sure, people might get a great retail employer, but they're well and truly becoming as rare and mythical as the abominable snowman these days!

hYpNoS is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by bowspearer View Post
    I'm not sure what it's like in Transport, but I can tell you that the customers you refer to aren't the reason I said what I said. Have a good read of what I just posted, including my conversations with former colleagues who have confirmed that it isn't just me when I spoke to them. Retail is an exercise in masochism not just because of the customers, but because retail employers these days are generally scum and treat their employees like slaves.

Like I said, the best thing someone in retail can do these days is do whatever it takes to re-skill so they never have to work in retail again. Sure, people might get a great retail employer, but they're well and truly becoming as rare and mythical as the abominable snowman these days!
    As a current retail worker you're spot on, most (not all) is really just a stepping stone on the way to better jobs and those in management simply learn not to care TOO much because if they did its very stressful, seeing how my own workplace is going (where once kind workers have become bitches from hell JUST to follow orders from higher ups) and seeing the end of TRU, not to mention the constant automation of retail...

All jobs are hell, retail is just the kind that digs into you and leaves you bitter, as customer and worker.

bowspearer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hYpNoS View Post
    All jobs are hell, retail is just the kind that digs into you and leaves you bitter, as customer and worker.
    I'd go so far as to say that it's the kind of industry that chews you up, sucks you dry to the point where it does get blood out of a stone and then mercilessly spits you out. It's not something that has always been there either. I mean there were some signs of it being on the cards about 15 years ago, but I really only saw it being full on in that direction since I came back after a decade away from it.

Quote Originally Posted by bowspearer View Post

Yeah, a mate of mine worked in retail, loved his job, dedicated to a fault and took real pride in what he did. He always came in on short notice, and even did a shift after he had a minor motorcycle accident on the way to work, and yet management were forever f@#king him over! Promising him promotions only to turn around and give the jobs to their cronies who just did not give a sh!t.

Transport is (currently) run by government. I feel I don't need to say more

Galvatran Guest

Member CHILENO20 pointed out TRU Northland had sign stating store will be shut down for good in 7 days from now.

Not sure if stock gets transferred elsewhere...

Stock will have to go somewhere

Wollongong TRU has already closed, sign on the door says go to Shellharbour

Quote Originally Posted by Galvatran View Post
    Member CHILENO20 pointed out TRU Northland had sign stating store will be shut down for good in 7 days from now.

Not sure if stock gets transferred elsewhere...
    Darn. Was planning on going to Northland next week. Hopefully it’ll still be open when I go. (Probably on the weekend some time)

How come some stores are already closing whilst others are still going a bit longer?

Galvatran Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Firestorm View Post
    Darn. Was planning on going to Northland next week. Hopefully it’ll still be open when I go. (Probably on the weekend some time)
    Should be mate. We were there yesterday when the display showed 7 days left... or was it 6?

Quote Originally Posted by Firestorm View Post
    How come some stores are already closing whilst others are still going a bit longer?
    I don't know the answer to that question. If I knew I would tell you. Look for your information. Yes there's one thing, the one thing that still holds true.
    (ABC)