Ozformers Transformers Club of Australia

Go Back   Ozformers Transformers Club of Australia (otca.com.au) > Info and Activities > Ratbat's Transformers Reviews

Sightings/Sales

View Poll Results: Is Optimal Optimus worth Getting?
Yeah man totally! 5 62.50%
Yes, but only if he's on sale 2 25.00%
Yeah maybe, depends. 1 12.50%
Nah don't really like him at all. 0 0%
Nah man don't really care about him at all. 0 0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16th June 2018, 05:52 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

Default Toy Review - POTP LDR Evolution Optimal Optimus

Optimal Optimus
Series - Generations
Sub-line - Power of the Primes
Size/class - Leader
New/remould/redeco - new
Wave - 3
Released here - June 2018
Approximate Retail Price - ($88)
Approximate Size - 30cm?
Allegiance - Autobot
Alt-mode - Cybertronian Gorilla/Cargo Ship
Main Features/Gimmicks - Small robot combines with Gorilla to form bigger robot
Main Colours - Orange, grey, blue (Black, white, red for Optimus Primal)
Main Accessories - 2-part gun, blue matrix

Robot Mode:

Now I'm not someone who knows a lot about Beast Wars, but the figure is pretty good. He comes with a gun that splits into 2, but holding it in Optimal Optimus mode is a bit awkward. It works a lot better in Optimus Primal mode. Speaking of which I do love the Optimus Primal figure as well. Instead of transforming into a gorilla, he transforms into a futuristic ship of some sort.

Gorilla Mode:

Similar to the robot mode he is well articulated except for his legs. I do love how he can ride the Optimus Primal ship mode as a hoverboard. Only real downside of the figure is that his back is hollow, although this can be filled with Optimus Primal

Cargo Ship Mode:

His Cargo Ship is OK at best. The Optimus Primal part is the best but the rest does sorta look like a gorilla lying down with its arms and legs positioning itself. Then again the Original Optimal Optimus was like this as well and it's not the main focus as well so it's more of an oversight then anything else.

Overall:
Optimal Optimus is a good modern update of his original toy which was released 2 decades ago! (Wow where has the time gone). He isn't flawless, but he is a fun toy to play with. If you can find him at Big W once the Toy Sale starts on Thursday, I do recommend picking him up
Old 16th June 2018, 07:13 PM
Rank 3 - Basic Member

I'm not a BW fan and don't know the original toy at all, but (or thus) I think this guy is great in hand. Big robots are great, little robot is great. A lot of backpack going on, and any non-biped modes are... not amazing, but still a lot of awesome stuff going on here I think, and he's miles away from the sort of stuff we've been getting lately.

It seems lot a lot of BW fans are dissatisfied with him and apparently the original toy holds up well, but I'm very happy with this purchase and it's nice to see a non-G1 guy get some love from Hasbro.
Old 16th June 2018, 07:27 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

As with the other two POTP leaders, I adore the intended playpattern, but find the actual execution a bit naff. I enjoy the idea of a Cybertronian Primal for the smaller robot but it is so lack lustre in implementation. He folds into a box with a cockpit at the end. Yawn.