Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Restoring damaged clear plastic

Default Restoring damaged clear plastic

After much searching I've found a nice, easy-to-follow guide on how to restore clear plastic: http://www.oldmodelkits.com/blog/pla...ic-model-kits/

The Novus Plastic Polish can be bought relatively cheaply on ebay from this chap: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Novus-Plastic...item255e2ff718

I've since bought a kit (great to see it comes with a polishing cream as well as the scratch remover!) and will be giving it a whirl on some parts when it arrives. Will update the thread in due course.

Quote Originally Posted by Doubledealer View Post
    After much searching I've found a nice, easy-to-follow guide on how to restore clear plastic: http://www.oldmodelkits.com/blog/pla...ic-model-kits/

The Novus Plastic Polish can be bought relatively cheaply on ebay from this chap: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Novus-Plastic...item255e2ff718

I've since bought a kit (great to see it comes with a polishing cream as well as the scratch remover!) and will be giving it a whirl on some parts when it arrives. Will update the thread in due course.
    That's very interesting.Since polishing removes a tiny layer of of the surface of the plastic, does that mean that it can restore yellowed toys?

Even on severe cases, the yellowing is often very superficial.

It also seems very good for getting rid of scratches from play worn toys without noticeable damage.

I have a set of Novus polish, hardly used that I don't need. If anyone wants to try let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by gamblor916 View Post
    I have a set of Novus polish, hardly used that I don't need. If anyone wants to try let me know.
    I'll take it if you don't mind. There are a couple of scratched toys that I have which I would not mind trying it on.

I really hope this stuff works, if it does it'll be the best discovery since sli...er, hydrogen peroxide.

I'll let the pictures do the talking:

Before:

After:

Wow that looks much better.

Kup, if you try the stuff on yellowed figures, let us know how it turns out. I wonder if it would work better on Triggerhappy without it causing the problem we had with H2O2. I may have to get myself some to see what happens.

And looking at it, it should work on cd's as well, might be worth it to restore some of my cds that are scratched.

Looks much better. It's tedious work but it's worth it.

I wonder if this would be worth it for me to restore a recent acquisition of mine's clear plastic. As you can see the windshield is in multiple sections with painted over lines making a good and proper buffing of the canopy awkward:
    Wanted: G1 Liokaiser parts | unbroken G1 Smokescreen/Prowl/Bluestreak roofs | G1 Overlord tank barrel and tank orange cockpit canopy

Mask over the lines with a good low tack tape. Tamiya tape is very good.