Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Replacement R.I.D Optimus Tyres?

have you tried pillaging tyres from scale model trucks?

i've also read somewhere that people used layers of black electrical tape to replace the tyre...the results looked pretty good from memory.

Quote Originally Posted by bruticus View Post
    have you tried pillaging tyres from scale model trucks?

i've also read somewhere that people used layers of black electrical tape to replace the tyre...the results looked pretty good from memory.
    Hmmm this may work black electrical tape might give it a go

Quote Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
    was it just RID Prime that had split tyre problem,

i dug mine out last night and had a look and he appears to be ok same with my car robots version and the two ultra magnus (or is it Magnii)
    A lot of the RiD toys had this problem as Hasbro appeared to have used a cheaper and inferior grade of rubber compared to Takara.

I got Super Fire Convoy in 2000. I got RiD Optimus Prime in 2002. A few months after buying RiD Optimus Prime, the tyres split. The tyres on my Super Fire Convoy remain in tact <touch wood> The tyres on my X-Brawn have also split. The tyres on my God Magnus, Super Mach Alert and clear Mach Alert are all fine. So I've experienced split tyres on at least two of my RiD toys, but all my Car Robot tyres are just fine. And I've heard widespread reports of RiD tyres splitting.

I suppose the RiD tyres are like G1 gold plastic or the brown plastic on Transmetal Megatron... brittle to the point that they're prone to breaking.

I'm sure the rubber tyres will eventually split but that will take forever, I have original G1 toys with rubber tyres that are still good today.

I agree with Goktimus here. I've also heard of RiD tyres having this problem. I don't have RiD toys so I'm not sure how much I can comment but friends of mine have had this problem. I think it depends on where you store them as Kup has mentioned.

Make easy press moulds of the tyres and squirt some silicon rubber into it and make new ones. Been going to do that for years just no time

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    I don't think you can but I guess that trying to keep the figure in a dry and cool environment away from sunlight will always help.
    Thanks. Try to keep my toys in that sort of environment so heres hoping