Thread: Junkers

Default Junkers

Where do people get their junkers?

I'm guessing mostly it's from big ebay lots? Or because you bought a poor condition toy for parts?

Or are they your own toys battered and worn and replaced with reissues or new purchases?

I don't consider any of my Transformers as junkers despite their shabby appearance.

Take for instance my Prowl. The toy is split in two at his waist, the 'glass' of his rear window is gone, the roof of the car is separate from the bonnet, several stickers are missing, one wing is broken off, and the other has been glued back on.

But Prowl is one of my earliest, favourite, Transformers, one I can recall buying on summer holidays from the newsagents at Cowes when I was 6-going-on-7 years old. I can't see myself parting with it.

Even with a new reissue Ratchet, I don't want to part with my original (broken but looks okay in Ambulance mode) Ratchet which was a Christmas present from Santa.

I assume if you're buying ebay lots or toys for parts it's easy to part with them, but do others still feel attached to the older broken toys that survived from their childhood? Or is out with the old and in with the reissue?

I still haven't parted with some of my junkers (like my Red G2 Snarl who's robot mode leg is snapped off).

Anything that I got when I was a kid and unable to fund my collection myself I have a hard time parting with. These were the toys I played with rather than my collected pieces. I sold off all my alternators recently without batting an eyelid, they were just collected pieces to me, whereas if you asked me to sell off my Laser Rod Optimus Prime (which will never, ever happen), I'd just shrug it off.

I could buy another G1 Blades for example (one blade is broken off), and I don't have all of the Defensor parts (in fact I'm missing Groove and use Fireflight instead) but I wouldn't ever sell them off because of the history connected to them. Same again goes for my beast wars toys (which has surprisingly lasted).

However all my Cybertron, Movie and Classics toys are complete and have boxes and instructions for the most part. I could part with any of them.

Strange isn't it. I understand totally about the Ratchet from Santa. I got BW Cheetor (original, not TM or TM2) for my 8th Birthday from my step-dad, and the memory of that always makes me smile when I look at the figure.

TheDirtyDigger Guest

Where do people get their junkers?

I'm guessing mostly it's from big ebay lots? Or because you bought a poor condition toy for parts?

Or are they your own toys battered and worn and replaced with reissues or new purchases?
    Yes, yes and yes. Also from Demonac who seems to own an infinite supply of them.

Take for instance my Prowl. The toy is split in two at his waist, the 'glass' of his rear window is gone, the roof of the car is separate from the bonnet, several stickers are missing, one wing is broken off, and the other has been glued back on.
    That's a junker man. I have a Prowl in only slightly better condition and mine's a junker.

I assume if you're buying ebay lots or toys for parts it's easy to part with them, but do others still feel attached to the older broken toys that survived from their childhood? Or is out with the old and in with the reissue?
    IMO original is always better than reissue but condition counts for a lot.