Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What toys do you A: Regret not buying cheap, B: Found reasonably or C: Paid too much!

Default What toys do you A: Regret not buying cheap, B: Found reasonably or C: Paid too much!

What toys do you A: Regret not buying cheap, B: Found reasonably or C: Paid too much!

The older figures get, the rarer they get and the more expensive they get. And many figures reach a price point for an individual collector where they are now just too expensive to justify buying, no matter how sought after. It’s not simply that you can’t afford them, it’s that you don’t think they are worth what you would now have to spend compared to their original price. Mine are:

*Titanium 6 Inch Ultra Magnus, Jetfire & Prowl
    *G1 Hardhead, Cromedome & Brainstorm
    *G1 Needlenose
    *Masterpiece Acid Storm & Thundercracker
    *HOC Grimlock
    *Energon Beachcomber
    *SDCC GIJoe/TF crossover (the one with Jetfire, Hound, Ravage etc)
    *GDO Wheelie

There have been a few that after keeping an eye out for years I have finally found at what I considered a respectable price (many of them on the members sales here on Ozformers). These include:

*Pretenders Grimlock (ebay)
    *Titanium Grimlock (ebay)
    *G1 Slag and Swoop (ebay)
    *G1 Reflector (ebay)
    *Animated Wreck-Gar (found mislabled for $10 on ebay!)
    *Cybertron Metroplex (courtesy of Shirokaze)
    *Universe Drag Strip & Overkill (Courtesy of Hursticon)
    *Alternators Tracks and Swindle (courtesy of Sutton)

And of course there is the odd toy that you know just isn’t worth it but you have to have it for a particular reason. For me this was:

*Paying $30 for G1 Blot to finally finish off my G1 Terrcon collection
    *Spending $500 for MIB G1 Scorponok as I missed out on buying him by like one hour from the one shop that stocked a single one in Bendigo when I was a kid
    *Spending $1100 on a 100% complete G1 Fort Max (not the reissue – that got announced six months after I bought him ) because I felt my collection warranted having the biggest TF ever made

So my questions to you are:

1: What figures do you really want but you think have just gotten too expensive compared to their original price to warrant buying?

2: What figures have been too expensive but after years of patience you finally found for a reasonable price?

3: What figures did you know were way too expensive but you ended up buying anyway?

1. Pyro. In 1993 I made a choice between Pyro or Clench... I went with Clench -- which I don't regret, because it's a freakin' awesome toy which doesn't suffer from GPS. But yeah, Pyro now goes for crazy prices and of course, the GPS means that it's likely to break on you. So I don't see the point in splashing all that money on a toy that I'd be too terrified to play with. Anyway, that's why I got Timelines Pyro -- which at $80 is rather pricey for a Voyager, but beats getting the original now. I feel the same about any Japanese exclusive G1 toy too. When it comes to Japanese G1 I either:
    * Get an original G1 if I happen to find it cheap (i.e. close to original RRP); this has happened to me three whole times.
    * Get reissues (luuurv 'em! )
    * Get an updated toy based on that character, e.g. RM Victory Sabre, United Artfire etc. And yeah, I'll most likely pre-order MP Star Sabre too.

2. Alternators Mirage, bought just last Sunday for $50, which within the AU RRP range for an Alternator (they sold for $45-55). Mirage was an Alternator that was never released here but I really wanted it, but until Sunday, I could never find it for RRP or less. The seller was initially asking for $75, but when I came back a few hours later and asked for a price check, they said $50. Sold.

3. $50 for Age of Extinction Voyager Class Galvatron. I could tell straight away that this toy is NOT worth paying full RRP for. But I did anyway. And my instincts were right... it wasn't worth paying full retail for. Impatience Tax FML.

Kranix is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

1: What figures do you really want but you think have just gotten too expensive compared to their original price to warrant buying?

MP Thundercracker

2: What figures have been too expensive but after years of patience you finally found for a reasonable price?

MISB Reissue G1 Hound

3: What figures did you know were way too expensive but you ended up buying anyway?

MP Starscream

for me to was my grail...MP8X comic grimlock....the last figure to complete my MP collection .... this figure gotten way out priced from somewhere between 500-1000 , and now they going to reissue him soon , but with him been quiet an old mold and the Hasbro one only 80... I decided I don't need him even at rrp which was 250 ...

for me it was MP3 starscream and MP7 thundercraker... at one stage these guys were demanding 300+ .... I waited and got them for a reasonable 200

Animated lucky draw gold optimus.... well he a luckydraw figure so he going to be expensive plus I just love the gold and just started watching animated at that time ...

1. G1 Overlord. That figure had always appealed to me (for some reason) but I could never justify spending the money on it.

2. Armada Unicron. Picked him up for 2 schooners from Fatbot

3. ROTF Rampage. Bought it at RRP, opened it, instantly had buyers remorse. Gave it away for free.
    HATRED FOR JAMES VAN DER BEEK RISING!

Still have some stuff for sale. Free pickup at Parra Fair
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8503

Anything from the '80's that is still MISB/MOSC

Stepper

Henkei Wildrider

A: I regret not getting King Grimlock first time round. I might put my tax return to getting it this time round.

B: KP Hotrodimus

C: The Encore Great Cassette Operation Vol 1 and 2.

Binaltech BT-17 Black Convoy

Beast Wars Metals X-9 Ravage

MP-1S Sleep Mode Convoy (Japanese ver), MP-10 Evangelion Convoy
    Which brings us to where we are today...

1. More of the RTS figures at The Reject Shop. They had Tracks there, should have got him. Didn't see Wreck-gar though.

2. Not really years, as I've only been collecting for 2 years now, but after wanting it really badly but not having the money to ship it, I snagged Encore 20a Anime Devastator MISB for $43AUD in HK. Deal of a lifetime.

3. None at the moment really. Hasn't been long enough.
    Seeking the Following:
    - CW Brawl
    - Earthrise Runabout
    - Earthrise Thrust