Thread: United Seeker Aces- Metallic Paint Fading

Default United Seeker Aces- Metallic Paint Fading

Hi all,

I have had the Ace seekers from the United line since their release, but it hasn't come to my attention until seeing other peoples that the metallic blue paint on both Starscream and Thundercracker has been significantly worn away, leaving mostly silver with a small hint of the blue.

Can anyone (especially if you own them or have had this happen to you) explain how this loss of blue has happened? The red and purple on Skywarp and Starscream seems to be mostly intact, but I would like to prevent said degredation from happening even more.
    Seeking the Following:
    - CW Brawl
    - Earthrise Runabout
    - Earthrise Thrust

Quote Originally Posted by Bidoofdude View Post
    Hi all,

I have had the Ace seekers from the United line since their release, but it hasn't come to my attention until seeing other peoples that the metallic blue paint on both Starscream and Thundercracker has been significantly worn away, leaving mostly silver with a small hint of the blue.

Can anyone (especially if you own them or have had this happen to you) explain how this loss of blue has happened? The red and purple on Skywarp and Starscream seems to be mostly intact, but I would like to prevent said degredation from happening even more.
    Paint wear, pure and simple. Maybe an inferior batch of blue used on your set? Or maybe the blue metallic paint is fragile.

Clear coating can prevent paint wear, but you have to make sure you've got a good quality clear coat that won't harm the paint. Usually means testing first.

Is it worthwhile fixing the blue first?

M-Bot's Customs logo by M-bot2011

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms
    While you're there, click the "LIKE" button!

I've done a little reading and it's been recommended in a thread over on TFW to use a gloss or satin clear coat from a hobby shop that is used for miniatures.

is it metallic paint or chrome that's wearing.

the 'scientific' explanation is probably some form of oxidation of the paint. depending on what they've used to actually create the blue colour, humidity, heat or just light, might have an effect.

I know years ago I bought my then girlfriend, now wife a blue topaz ring. several years later it was practically clear, and crappy looking. on researching that, it turns out that a lot of coloured topaz is treated with radiation of a particular wavelength to artificially create a colour in it. This treatment is not a permanent treatment and exposure to UV light weakens the colour over time. needless to say I'm pretty pissed and will never be back at that jeweller.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    I've done a little reading and it's been recommended in a thread over on TFW to use a gloss or satin clear coat from a hobby shop that is used for miniatures.

is it metallic paint or chrome that's wearing.

the 'scientific' explanation is probably some form of oxidation of the paint. depending on what they've used to actually create the blue colour, humidity, heat or just light, might have an effect.

I know years ago I bought my then girlfriend, now wife a blue topaz ring. several years later it was practically clear, and crappy looking. on researching that, it turns out that a lot of coloured topaz is treated with radiation of a particular wavelength to artificially create a colour in it. This treatment is not a permanent treatment and exposure to UV light weakens the colour over time. needless to say I'm pretty pissed and will never be back at that jeweller.

It is a metallic blue on both SS and TC.
    Seeking the Following:
    - CW Brawl
    - Earthrise Runabout
    - Earthrise Thrust

Hm.. Well i guess i'll still order them but i'll be wary

given it's not chrome you might be able to get away with a clear coat of some sort, but I don't have a lot of direct experience, hopefully someone ellse can give you better advice, perhaps take one in to a hobby shop and see what they have to say.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)