Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Wahammer & 40K Tabletop

To be fair you said Grandmaster, the Grandmaster is good but odds are good the Daemon Prince can still kill the Grandsmaster faster than the Grandmaster can kill the Daemon prince. A squad of Termies are a different kettle of fish entirely, though with the advantage of flight the DP still has a good odds of getting the drop on the Terminators. A squad of Terminators is more costly than the DP so If it can take out one squad and be banished in the process its done its job. I find Grey Knights to exspensive myself, Assualt Terminators with Thunder Hammers are the ticket better invunerable save to ward of monstorus creature attacks and if one Thunder hammer gets a hit then the entire squad is going to have a chance to fight next turn.

Enjoy multiple assault cannons while they last, as they will likely go back to one per 5 men in the next codex, but on the up side theyll probaly ditch the annoying Space Wolves HQ rule.

And yes that's one of my Daemon Princes, probably painted him some years back now, he's alright. Here's something more recent.

I wish i had your painting skills Lord_Zed, those models look very nice

Very nice Zed, I'll put a pic up of the only figure I have tried to put an effort onto painting. If they bugger up the codex of Spacewolves then I'll more than likely retire them. I know someone who used to play Dark Angels but he believes they have ruined that codex and has stopped playing them. I think but can't remeber for sure that normal marines can have one heavy weapon per 4 Terminators I think rounded down, this means to get 3 heavy weapons into a Termie squad a normal marine player needs at least 11 terminators. At the moment Space wolves can get 3 heavies with 7 people, 1 heavy per 3 marines rounded up, this means if you have a seventh Terminator you can have a third heavy. Are you telling me they are going to butcher this specialty in the new wolves codex. What is the point of having different chapters if they are all virtually the same besides their colour scheme. The guy I mentioned above with Dark Angels does not do DeathWing or Ravenwing which I think might be the way for him to go.

Well in all honsety none of the variant Marine chapter out there deserve thier own codex based on rules differences alone. it's more to do with the fact that Marines are GW's best sellers that means that we have 5 different flavours rather than one cover all.

I don't know much about the Dark Angels new codex, but what was done to the standard choices is an across the board thing also prevailant in Blood Angels, and Codex Marines. Things like only getting weapon options for 10 man squads, combat squads, and cheap rihnos. I doubt the codex is ruined but they probably simplified stuff and invalidated a few things (lord knows they did with chaos). In the current Marine codex (IE: current for 5 more days) Marines can have 2 big guns per termie squad, size Is irrelevant. When the new one comes out it will be one for each 5 men. I imagine Space wolves will keep some of thier options, but I doub they will have as many big guns, maybe though *shrugs*.

These sort of things are pretty common in the GW universe, I dunno I keep my armies beacuse 40k is everpresent and its good fun for a bash now and then, though it's the smaller skrimish games that exsist in GW's shadow that I prefer.

I know nothing on the newer rules as i haven't played for a while. Went to the place I normally game at to say hello to a few friends and watch a game under the new rules, not sure if I like them or not but I'll play a couple of games to decide. I normally like 2000 point games as it allows me to get a nice variety of troop and tank choices onto the board. The only other tabletop game I have thought about playing has been Warmachine which I have mentioned before but it just doesn't have any real following over here that I have come across, not that I've looked to hard.

2000 points is a big game, lots of troops on the board.

Overall the new rules for 40k are an improvement over the previous version, some things are better some are worse. They seem to want to tilt is so +3 armour save armies aren't the be all of the game.

The hard part with the smaller games is finding a group of gamers who play the game/ or creating your own one. I have to say these days I get more fun from the smaller games as I get to paint a greater variety of troops. it's a double edged sword though as small games can just up and dissapear, or become big games driven by corporate shareholders at the cost of the game. Much like 40k. Years back games desginer Andy Chambers wanted to completey re-write 40K, but there's no way it will ever happen now there to entrenched in the current system, an overhaul would cost way to much.

If your investigating if there are any Warmachine players in your area, try Wargammerau.com. There are a lot of annoying ruleslawyers on that forum, but it is usefull for finding other players.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Zed View Post

leman Russ: Lost in the warp
    Lion El Jhonson: Sleeping in the rock
    Sangunius: Dead
    Corvus: No idea
    Rogal Dorn: Presumed dead
    Robute Gulliman: Preserved in stasis with a fatal wound
    Vulkan: Dissapeared to return for Armageddon
    Alpharius: No idea
    Peturbo: Demon Prince
    Magnus: Demon Prince
    Mortarion: Demon Prince
    Fulgrim: Demon Prince
    Angron: Demon Prince
    Night Haunter: Dead
    Ferrus Manus: No idea
    Jaghatti Khan: Can't recall
    Hope you don't mind being updated, but I think the list is:

Lion El Johnson - Sleeping in the rock
    Sanginus - Dead, killed by Horus
    Ferrus Manus - Dead, killed by Fulgrim
    Leman Russ - MIA - back for the Wolf Time
    Vulkan - MIA - hoped to return if 9 relics are found
    Rogal Dorn - Dead after a suicidal boarding action.
    Jaghatti Khan - Fate not yet revealed, but clearly not with his boys. MIA?
    Roubute Guiliman - Dead in stasis, killed by Fulgrim
    Corax - Left to wander the Eye of Terror (broken hearted after what he had to do to save his legion)

Two Primarchs of course never revealed.

Pertarbo - Daemon Prince - Unaligned
    Horus - so very, very dead.
    Conrad Curze - Dead, by an Imperial assassin
    Alpharius - Turned out to be a pair of twins. One is dead, other is ?
    Angron - Daemon Prince - Khorne
    Mortarion - Daemon Prince - Nurgle
    Magnus the Red - Daemon Prince - Tzeentch
    Fulgrim - Body-Daemon Prince of Slannesh Mind-Trapped and tormented by daemon
    Lorgar - Daemon Prince Chaos Undivided
    Me Grimlock no bozo - me king!

Thanks for the heads up Zed, maybe Russ is just hanging with the Thirteenth company. I never really considered 2000 points to be a large game as I don't have to many troops to move around. I'm just tooooooo lazy when it comes to painting so i have as many tanks as possible 3 max I think in 2000 points plus my Dreadnought/HQ, 2 x 10 man squads, 1 scout squad with wolf gaurd leader(all my squads have these to improve power weapons count), 7 man Terminator squad with a Wolf priest and a Rune Priest thrown in with either of the previously mentioned 10 man squads(love stormcaller). The 3 tanks I take are normally The Landraider Crusader, Vindicator(please shoot me tank) and a Predator decked out with lascannons for tank killing. I have played 1500 and 750 point games and have enjoyed them all, the only time I don't enjoy a game is when the person your playing starts cracking the s***s because they are getting beaten, these people i only ever play once or twice then just give them a wide berth.

Sounds like a decent force though maybe a touch low on troops, numbers are your friends these days, all part of GW's scheme to make you buy more minis I guess. Here in Sydney we just had MOAB one of the bigger gaming conventions in the state, not to mention the one run by my gaming club. It was pretty big this year to both Fantasy and 40k went well. That said I played Infinity but I did have a gander up at the 40k tables once or twice.

And as per usual the retailers have everything on special, so I picked up the new Space Marine codex, A tactical Squad, Assault Terminator Squad and some cheap second hand bikes, and a dreadnought for my marines, not to mention some minatures for a new Super Hero skirmish game and a number of other bargains.

I used to play the 3 day 40k tournament but not anymore, 3 days of 40k is to much for me. And yeah I know what you mean about some bad players, there is one guy who plays at every tournament who is perpetualy cranky, even the most milde mannered are frustrated by him.

I've only played in about 3 or 4 tournaments of varying sizes. the very first one was 500 points. I made it into the final but got absolutely flogged by an imperial gaurd player, they get a lot more troops for the points and when your trying to get across a board with no cover it gets really painful. I did win a free Rhino out of it. The other 3 were 2000 point all day affairs, 2 were what I call average affairs with a couple of wins and a couple of losses but the third got me best general for the day with 3 wins and one draw against a Tyranid player, I didn't capture the objective so this caused the draw, Man of the match was my Venerable Dreadnought who took out both a Hive Tyrant and a carnifex without suffering any damage.