Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: Comic Review: Transformers Regeneration One

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I told him that how people who grew up with G1 like me, find this issue to be just a recap of everything we already know

*snip*

it'll be interesting to see how this series gels with readers who are too young to know G1.
    One of the hardest selling points for this comic will be people picking it up thinking it's "G1 continued" when it's not. (They're after Dreamwave's Transformers #1 in it's "G1 cartoon pilot sequel" sense).

There's a lot more people who remember the cartoon than remember the Marvel comic. A lot of people grew up with G1 in 80s and never read the comics but almost certainly watched the cartoon*. There's plenty of members here who are young enough to have missed the comic altogether but did see repeats of the cartoon through the 90s, and had easier access to buy the DVDs than to buy the pricey reprints of the comics.

As I said in my post, I don't think is a very engaging comic for free comic day. They'd have been better off with something TF:Prime related. It's appeal with mostly (solely?) be for the Marvel comics fans.

(*as a side note it would seem that most of us who've been in this mad game for the long haul were fans of the comic back then too)

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post

As I said in my post, I don't think is a very engaging comic for free comic day. They'd have been better off with something TF:Prime related. It's appeal with mostly (solely?) be for the Marvel comics fans.

(*as a side note it would seem that most of us who've been in this mad game for the long haul were fans of the comic back then too)
    I don't think that we need more TF Prime stuff than there already is. Everything seems to be saturated with it at the moment and if you are not into it, then there is a bit of a drought.

It would be bad to take away what little there is at the moment for someone who does not care about TF:Prime.

I'm not saying take the book away, I'm saying it was a bad choice for FCBD. Free Comic Book Day is meant to encourage kids and curious adults to try comic books.

The audience for Regeneration One is long established comic fans who remember a comic from 20 years ago. It's a bad match for the kid who likes the movies or Prime and then has the reaction Goktimus described. Most of the intended audience for this book would have paid for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    I'm not saying take the book away, I'm saying it was a bad choice for FCBD. Free Comic Book Day is meant to encourage kids and curious adults to try comic books.

The audience for Regeneration One is long established comic fans who remember a comic from 20 years ago. It's a bad match for the kid who likes the movies or Prime and then has the reaction Goktimus described. Most of the intended audience for this book would have paid for it.
    I didn't see that many kids in line

I think that it's mostly to do with continuity familiarity as you mentioned earlier rather than age. Most people (even from our age bracket) know G1 from the cartoon rather than the Marvel comics.

However Furman did say that the ReGeneration comics were being written with that in mind so that anyone with just a passing familiarity with Transformers would be able to pick up the plot. I think that's accomplished as most of the free issue was to recap what happened before and anything to do with the 'new story' was pretty straight forward when it comes to plot.

All one needs to know to get into the new story arc is that Autobots won and Decepticons are not happy.

It's Re-Generations #81 out yet?

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    It's Re-Generations #81 out yet?
    July.

Not sure what the release date will be, but with RiD being released first up in June, there has been a reshuffle with the release order. I first thought it might be Regen, MtMtE, RiD, but now it might be RiD, Regen, MtMtE... will have to wait and find out.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

Quote Originally Posted by i_amtrunks View Post
    July.

Not sure what the release date will be, but with RiD being released first up in June, there has been a reshuffle with the release order. I first thought it might be Regen, MtMtE, RiD, but now it might be RiD, Regen, MtMtE... will have to wait and find out.
    Cool, thanks. I was a bit afraid I had missed out.

Default Transformers: Regeneration One #81

Transformers: Regeneration One #81

"Loose Ends" Part One

Simon Furman (w) • Andrew Wildman & Stephen Baskerville (a) • Wildman, Guido Guidi (c)

The TRANSFORMERS comic that began it all—is back. With a vengeance! 21 years have passed since CYBERTRON was restored to its former glory, and finally there is peace. But, after millions of years of bitter civil war, can all ever truly be one? In a conflict this primal, this epic and far-reaching… There are always “Loose Ends”!

Cover Price: $3.99 (US)
    Publisher: IDW Publishing
    Release Date: July 11, 2012

Your Thoughts?
    UP UP CRONULLA

Follow Me on:

Twitter - @Sharky_Wattsy

I read it last night and am still thinking about it. Some things I definitely didn't like, some I did. I don't think it's a great start for a "first issue". (It expects you did read 80.5 and doesn't provide a good recap.) It feels like it stretched out a plot point over an issue when really page 22 could have been page 4. It's decompressed comic book storytelling which doesn't feel like Marvel or the current IDW books.

As much as I'd like to pick up a copy of this I don't live anywhere near a comic store. Might have to get a digital copy.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]