Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Thread: Comic Review: Transformers Regeneration One

I quite liked it. Yes, I can see that it would be confusing for people who didn't grow up with G1... but ReGeneration One isn't for them - it's for those of us who were the original fans of G1, so I'm quite happy. Besides, the youngins can go buy reprints if they want to catch up on what happened between 1984-91. To me, this comic feels like it's being made for G1 fans rather than having to massively compromise things to make it easier for newbies to follow. If people want to follow a new G1 continuity, then perhaps the main IDWverse comics may be better suited for them.

SPOILERS AHEAD

Having said that, I think ReGen One has watered things down for readers though - which kinda disappoints me. Generation 2 seems to be completely ignored, but I think Furman said from really early on that he wanted to do this as he's never been quite happy with G2 (a shame, I quite liked it and would have loved to see it continued). But it also seems that events from the UK comics -- Furman's baby -- has been thrown out too. Unless somehow guys like Roadbuster, Rack'n'Ruin, Sandstorm, Topspin, Venom and Chop Shop have somehow been revived in the past 21 years since the end of the original G1 run.

It would be a shame if Furman has chosen to throw out the UK stories from G1 considering that:
    1/ He always initially intended for them to be part and parcel of the original US series, much like an "expanded universe."
    2/ He made efforts to tie the UK stories in with the US stories after he took over from Budiansky.
    ...so after all those years of attempting to maintain and consolidate continuity between the US and UK stories (which wasn't always successful, but it usually worked out), I think it would be disappointing to give that up now.

The appearance of the Sky Scorchers was cool; I like how Furman will use lesser known toy-characters instead of just inventing random robo-mooks like "Noddy" The overall plot kinda reminds me of Generation 2... Transformers have self-exiled themselves from Earth for a long time while other Decepticons who remain there cause havoc (though for a much longer time and much more massive scale (arguably War World could have done just as much damage if the Autobots hadn't intervened)); Optimus Prime is having spooky visions and sees himself falling... erm. Perhaps Furman wanted to revisit certain story concepts from G2 but didn't want to tie himself to G2? <shrug>

I also like how they haven't conveniently ignored the whole Action Master thing like Marvel did when G2 started... it was like, oh, and they can transform again now. Cos... they can. It'll be interesting to see how Grimlock's Anti-Nucleon Quest goes. Also looks like Bludgeon's found Thunderwing... but in exactly what state remains to be seen.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    But it also seems that events from the UK comics -- Furman's baby -- has been thrown out too. Unless somehow guys like Roadbuster, Rack'n'Ruin, Sandstorm, Topspin, Venom and Chop Shop have somehow been revived in the past 21 years since the end of the original G1 run.

It would be a shame if Furman has chosen to throw out the UK stories from G1 considering that:
    1/ He always initially intended for them to be part and parcel of the original US series, much like an "expanded universe."
    2/ He made efforts to tie the UK stories in with the US stories after he took over from Budiansky.
    ...so after all those years of attempting to maintain and consolidate continuity between the US and UK stories (which wasn't always successful, but it usually worked out), I think it would be disappointing to give that up now.
    My thoughts on how to explain the apparent inconsistency -
    1 - The Last Autobot resurrected a lot of characters in the final issue of the original run. Who's to say his powers only extended to those we actually saw alive once again.
    2 - Furman's said that continuity details like Spike Witwicky as Circuit Smasher (as opposed to Josie Beller's Circuit Beaker) will be explained in-universe, and that the swirl patterns established in 80.5 will be significant in this explanation. Perhaps that will also extend to characters that should be dead at this point.

Since the events of Generation Two comic didn't happen in ReGeneration One, you've already got to assume there's different universes in play.

In my mind, the events of Time Wars created the alternate universe we know as the Marvel US comic: One where Galvatron never travelled back in time after the movie (or during it, possibly). Some UK stories would still have happened (because they weren't influenced by Galvatron's time travel - like the Deathbringer story) but all those deaths in Time Wars didn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim Prime View Post
    ...the swirl patterns established in 80.5 will be significant in this explanation. Perhaps that will also extend to characters that should be dead at this point.
    Those swirl patterns could be related to the rift in Time Wars too.

But anyway, that's not really important. It's billed as a continuation of the US comic and that's what is.

I don't have high hopes for the new Wrecker though. He's a random inclusion.

I like random inclusions. That's something I've enjoyed about Furman's writings -- his teams are often hodge-podge mixes of different toys from different sub-groups, rather than slavishly sticking to only one sub-group all the time. Teams like the Wreckers and Mayhem Attack Squads have always been an assorted mix.

As Jhiaxus (the OTCAer) once said to me, the cool thing about this is that it feels like the teams you make up when playing with your toys as a kid! Often you would have various different members from different sub groups, but you didn't have the whole set - so you bung them together and had adventures with them! Like this photo of me in 1988:

^At the time this photo was taken (early '88), I only had Hot Spot, Afterburner, First Aid and Lightspeed. So I bung them together as a their own team, and they formed ... umm... Defensotron... Compusor... that robot dude! So teams like the Wreckers and Mayhems were kinda like those assorted mixed teams kids would make because they didn't have all of the different sub groups (yet ).

Perhaps Leadfoot's inclusion is a nod to the movieverse -- because Roadbuster and Top Spin were already members of the original Wreckers, but Michael Bay included Leadfoot who wasn't, so now Furman's including him in this new lineup of Wreckers. <shrug>

Perhaps Leadfoot's inclusion is a nod to the movieverse -- because Roadbuster and Top Spin were already members of the original Wreckers
    I hadn't made that connection, but of course that makes total sense.

I think they could have down a single page recap of 80.5 to show the cons wiping out the last autobot.

Love that Regen #81 did a better AHM job than AHM did!

Some very interesting setups that will have a slow burn and payoff. Feels more like the old Furmanverse in IDW than the newer stuff, good to have a change of pace too.

Didn't like it all, but a good restart for those who know about the previous 80 issues, potentially confusing for first time readers!
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

Quote Originally Posted by i_amtrunks View Post
    Love that Regen #81 did a better AHM job than AHM did!
    lol, tru dat.

Didn't like it all, but a good restart for those who know about the previous 80 issues, potentially confusing for first time readers!
    Yeah, but I'm going to selfishly say that I've grown sick of all the various new continuities we've had that reboot and simplify and Gee-Wunnify things for "the newbs" -- I personally think it's really nice to have something for long time G1 fans for a change. My understanding was that this was what was proposed when bassbot and others organised the fan petition to get it happening. ReGeneration One feels like a comic series that long-time G1 fans asked for, long-time G1 fans are getting, and it's written for long-time G1 fans.

When we signed the petition we promised that we would collect this series if IDW made it. I can only assume that IDW received enough votes to make them think that making such an incredibly fan-niche series was commercially viable... I can only hope they're right and that everyone who signed that petition will hold true to their word. I know I will... I hung onto the original Marvel series until the bitter end, and I'll do the same here.

When we signed the petition we promised that we would collect this series if IDW made it. I can only assume that IDW received enough votes to make them think that making such an incredibly fan-niche series was commercially viable... I can only hope they're right and that everyone who signed that petition will hold true to their word. I know I will... I hung onto the original Marvel series until the bitter end, and I'll do the same here.
    I think they will. They are running other comics that have very low numbers in very small niche markets (popeye, GI Joe, muppets, battle beasts) not to mention all the very small markets they have released comcis for (think Galaxyquest!)

I think it helps that the editing and creative teams seem to be lovers of Transformers too.

I forgot to mention that the final page reveal at the end of this issue made me sad for only one reason.

Spoilers for those who have read the Marvel comics but not regen 81:
    It would appear that Ratchet's herioc sacrifice of himself and the ark was for naught. Hopefully the modern love for Ratchet is seen in regen and he too is not dead.

I forgot to mention that the final page reveal at the end of this issue made me sad for only one reason.
    There's a preview Guido Guidi cover for #84 available now which suggests what the outcome will be revealed to be. Not too dissimilar to the Funpub Classicverse comic's way of dealing with it. And better than the G2 comic that completely ignored it.