Thread: String Theory

Default String Theory

When did this happen?

And why?

Perhaps I should explain myself.

I happened to be in Kmart today and wandered through the toy aisles and had a look at the Generations toys they had (not many) and noticed that my beloved twist-ties had been replaced by string.

Choking hazard? Cost saving? Kids were playing with them instead of the toys or kids were stupid enough to think they were an accessory you were meant to keep? Well, those kids will be happy, all their favourite Transformers now come with lassos.

TRANSFORMERS: DEICIDE -- The Beast Wars 20th Anniversary Comic Book series that could have been...
    TRANSFORMERS: UNITY -- the BotCon 2016 Comic Book that should have been...

Been awhile since you bought any new toys mate?

They switched over to paper ties ages ago - first reported here over a year ago now

The new 'string' twist ties are biodegradable, so the change was motivated by environmental friendliness.

Wow, well there you go.

Yeah, it's been probably 6 or 7 years since I bought a TF from a shop, if not longer.

TRANSFORMERS: DEICIDE -- The Beast Wars 20th Anniversary Comic Book series that could have been...
    TRANSFORMERS: UNITY -- the BotCon 2016 Comic Book that should have been...

The new ties, as mentioned above, have been around since the HftD line started. The decision was made as they were more environmentally friendly, easier to remove, and (I'm now only speculating) cheaper to produce.

EDIT: Which meant it was funny when I purchased an Animated Skywarp and HA Mudflap when Uncle Pete's was selling them cheaply, and it felt like a step back in to the past.