Thread: Design a Transformer

Default Design a Transformer

Ok so here's what i'm thinking. Designing a robot is pretty hard. Designing a transforming robot is harder. Designing a bunch of transforming robots that constitute a coherent group is harder still.

That doesn't stop me from eyeballing every last release and criticizing it six ways to sunday, as if i could do any better. I'm actually a graphic/web designer... so maybe i could, i dunno.

I haven't really been paying much attention to mainline releases until recently... and checking them out, i keep finding myself disappointed in one way or another with the designs. Old timer syndrome or if i have some actual justification, i'm not sure! But i've felt an itch that i could put pencil to paper and come up with something better.

Then i get lazy and write a post asking others to post their creations first so i'll get motivated

It can be whatever you want - 100% brand new character or re-imagined classic character. You don't have to think too hard about how it'd transform (as a toy) unless you want to.

I think the first one i'd like to tackle would be just a straight up new Optimus Prime design. His new RID design just looks mostly derivative to me. But when you think of the confines - he has his recognizable features, yet you want to make it new... it starts to get really restrictive. Just how much can you re-imagine the iconic aspects of his design before it becomes something else? Or is it really no challenge at all just aping some of his famous traits.

I figure if we have a bunch of people trying their darnedest to come up with something cool, next time we're whinging about the latest toys, we can reference this thread and say either "Look... I CAN do better!" or "Shut up fool, you can't do any better!". Maybe we'll get some new appreciation for the work that does go into the toys being released.

I made a custom based off a drawing i drew.

I also drew a 2nd version and will bring that to life someday

But for now i present you with my first custom

Jaxius

Edit: just realized the image is not on a website so heres a link to the TFW page

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radico...ghlight=jaxius

After watching Ted 2

Make a Decepticon that transforms into a Fresh Cake.
    I'll update this when I'm needing help finding particular figures

Quote Originally Posted by kurdt_the_goat View Post

I think the first one i'd like to tackle would be just a straight up new Optimus Prime design. His new RID design just looks mostly derivative to me. But when you think of the confines - he has his recognizable features, yet you want to make it new... it starts to get really restrictive. Just how much can you re-imagine the iconic aspects of his design before it becomes something else? Or is it really no challenge at all just aping some of his famous traits.
    Hasbro has said much the same thing about Optimus, he's like their Mickey Mouse you can't play around with his look too much without losing his most recognisable features. But I'm going to call shenanigans on that because we're talking about robot mode. I reckon as long as you get some sort of window chest, grill abs, red and elements in there he still is Optimus Prime regardless of what alt mode he has.

But I like your idea kurdt, it's like project rooftop but for TFs, could we do it as a monthly thing? Moderators??