• Yes, I will continue with all TT MPs

4 7.41%
  • Yes, I will continue collecting most/many TT MPs

17 31.48%
  • I might still get the occasional release

20 37.04%
  • I'm seriously having second thoughts about continuing,

7 12.96%
  • I'm out, my wallet can't take anymore.

6 11.11%
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Will you still collect MP Transformers with the higher prices?

I just realised Dinobot is the only new MP mould this year outside of the MPM line.

High prices and fewer releases... I really wish I could personally ask Takara what their plans are for the MP line.

Quote Originally Posted by DaptoDog View Post
    Being almost exclusively an MP collector I'll remain a completionist. However, I am quite bemused at the Argentinian like inflation in MP pricing which seemed to start with Sunstreaker.
    I've noticed this as well and have seen Sunstreaker ranging from $150 to $180. A real bummer because this is one of those rare times I have my eye on an MP.

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    I just realised Dinobot is the only new MP mould this year outside of the MPM line.

High prices and fewer releases... I really wish I could personally ask Takara what their plans are for the MP line.
    Their plan has always been to squeeze as much money as they can from collectors with as little effort as possible, either through choosing molds based purely on re-use potential (and NOT through fan popularity) or the slow inflation of prices. And hey, they're a business so they're there to make money, but as a G1 fan I'm resigned to two awful truths:

1. it's going to be a very, very long time before I'll ever finish my G1 MP collection
    2. there is the possibility that there will be even more version 2.0 iterations of characters I already have. At which point I'm calling it quits.

bowspearer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post

A possibility just hit me and I really hope I'm wrong. What if, with all this talk of shared universes, the aim is to torpedo the Masterpiece line as more trouble than it's worth, by pricing it into oblivion. After all, we've now had an end to the Legends series as we know it, while the Masterpiece line is now being increasingly priced to the point where something doesn't sell. When that happens, Takara could justfiy pulling the plug. Meanwhile while fans keep paying the prices, they just keep bumping them up until they hit the shelf-warmer.

Like I said, I really hope I'm wrong. However it could be that the bean counters at Takara want to cheap out as much as possible with Transformers by simply doing what Hasbro does as part of this shared design approach.

I've been collecting MPs since they started, but I think I might have hit the wall with MP Cordon. At around $230 AUD after conversion I just can't justify the ongoing expense. If the Autobot cars are going to lift to this kind of price, how much are the bigger bots going to go for in the future?

I might have to sadly call it a day on the MP line...

I used to buy every MP that came out but stopped and started to buy 3P Masterpiece style figures to complete my TV series lineup. I was just buying too many obscure MPs like Red Bumblbees, white Lamborghinis, Monkeys and Cheetahs which I have no emotional attachment to. I still buy the obscure CHUG versions though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra Mackness View Post
    I've been collecting MPs since they started, but I think I might have hit the wall with MP Cordon. At around $230 AUD after conversion I just can't justify the ongoing expense. If the Autobot cars are going to lift to this kind of price, how much are the bigger bots going to go for in the future?

I might have to sadly call it a day on the MP line...

That’s pretty pricey dude, where did you get it from? I’ve seen him for less than $200 including shipping.

Ouch, that's a lot for Cordon.

I was really surprised that Anime Wheeljack was reasonable so I decided to buy him. If he was priced more like Cordon I would have passed.

Anyway hopefully after conversion and shipping of both Big Convoy and BW Megatron in January I won't be moving into the poor house.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum View Post
    That’s pretty pricey dude, where did you get it from? I’ve seen him for less than $200 including shipping.
    Picked him up from bbts, so probably a bit more expensive, bu not by heaps. My general guideline for the cars was if they were $150 or less, but I really wanted cordon. I just didnt bank on the amount being so high.

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I have collected almost what I wanted from the G1 line.
    I believe I am done, as the occasional pieces are actually from 3p.

For me the masterpiece had no proper direction, I can like one piece and hate the next. It felt like is all over the place, no priority on finishing season one or certain bots. Poorly planned imo, especially with the Toy accuracy,realistic accuracy or toon accurate.

For a new comer, I recommend it as the other tfs look too kiddish to collect.

They dont even seem to be bothered on release pre orders for Hound and Optimus V3