Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Walmart Gen1 reissues - Hotrod, Starscream, Devastator, Minibots

Scalping doesn't mean that the price has to be so high that most people wouldn't be willing to pay for it... it just means that people are forced to pay a higher price than it's RRP or the price of the items it was released with. Just look at the recent BigW cheap Titans Return toys - people were seen to be grabbing Voyagers up by the trolley load, preventing others from getting them for $15 - even if those people put them on ebay for $30, still below the normal retail of $50, I'd still call that scalping.

The point I was trying to make, is that regular retailers are not known for pricing items in the same assortment / case differently, just to make the most out of their customers, because one item is expected to be in higher demand. Items are generally priced according to the wholesale cost of the items, and the four minibots are sold to Retailers together, not separately, so would normally get priced as such. I just don't think I've ever seen a major/national retailer do this before. And since Walmart have prevented other retailers in America from selling them, if they charge above what a product should be charged at (according to the other items in the same assortment, or RRP), I think it fits the definition of scalping.

Yep I'm sorry Griffin I need to side with Galvatran on this one. It's their own exclusive line, they can put whatever RRP they want on them. And you just know those Bumblebees are going to fly off the shelf quicker than the rest except for maybe Outback given it's only one to a case. At the end of the day they're only pricing them $1-$2 more than the others.

This is no different to a coloured PS4 controller being priced higher than a black controller. Or in our case we are looking to buy a dog at the moment and all the breeders are charging more for one particular colour because they are more in demand than the rest.

Galvatran Guest

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Scalping doesn't mean that the price has to be so high that most people wouldn't be willing to pay for it... it just means that people are forced to pay a higher price than it's RRP or the price of the items it was released with. Just look at the recent BigW cheap Titans Return toys - people were seen to be grabbing Voyagers up by the trolley load, preventing others from getting them for $15 - even if those people put them on ebay for $30, still below the normal retail of $50, I'd still call that scalping.
    No one would argue the example you provided. A more fair comparison would be if the seller sold it for $16 or $17. If you're a person of principle then yes you could make that argument. I'm more practical.

Galvatran Guest

Wonder if Thundercracker & Skywarp will get a G1-style box reissue down the track. Can't get one without the other 2 right?

Quote Originally Posted by DaptoDog View Post
    Yep I'm sorry Griffin I need to side with Galvatran on this one.
    All that lava has gone to my head.

Rank 3 ... 2 ... 1

Quote Originally Posted by Galvatran View Post
    Wonder if Thundercracker & Skywarp will get a G1-style box reissue down the track. Can't get one without the other 2 right?
    I'd be very happy with that!

Toys R us recently priced their Studio Series Thundercracker at $10 above all their other Studio Series Voyager toys. I agree that it's technically 'scalping' from the perspective of a price point item being sold above that price point based on perceived popularity, but being the sole retailer, that's kind of their prerogative.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Price gouging for retailer, scalping by everyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum View Post
    Price gouging for retailer, scalping by everyone else?
    Dynamic pricing by retailer, scalping by everyone else.

Galvatran Guest

I can't help but think what could have been for the Thrilling 30 line. Would have been a worthy tribute to 30 years of Transformers.

Given the sellout online (though it's not clear how much stock they'd reserved for online sales versus retail) I would hope that it oconvinces both companies to consider further releases. If they do more seekers, I hope they include Starscream as a repack. To go into a retail store and see a full case of seekers like in '84 '85..... it would be a real dream come true.
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!