Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The last shuddering gasp of Toys R Us Australia

I don't know Highpoint, but I have fond memories of buying Transformers at Venture at Parkmore and Waverley Gardens shopping centres.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHyren View Post
    Parramatta had all the toys that are left at the front of the store across two sets of shelves, there isn't much left at all, mostly StarWars stuff nobody wants.
    Dropped by Parra TRU last night. It was sad seeing the store sectioned off to about 5x6m of shelf warmers and trash.

Quote Originally Posted by CHILENO20 View Post
    Went by Highpoint TRU for the last time the other night and my partner got a little misty eyed as she was remembering when she was kid a funny memory about her sister there. I made it a point to tell all the staff that served me that I wished them all the best and luck with future work and endevours.
    As a year 7-8 kid I remembered going to Parra TRU after school and really wanting to buy both BW Rhinox and Wolfang, but only had enough birthday money to buy one. I bought Rhinox and hid Wolfang in a different area (think it was RC cars) I thought nobody (customers or the sluggish TRU staff that paid no attention to me) would check to buy myself enough time to save up for it.

For the next two weeks I'd check back every second day after school until I had the $18 I needed for the BW Deluxe at RRP. It was quite stressful at the time because I could see a couple of other figs on the shelf disappearing each day, and also because I didn't tell my friends or family since a high schooler playing with toys seemed sociably unacceptable. Ran to TRU on the last day of saving my lunch money and was so relieved it was still there. For a long time it was my second fav Deluxe after Cheetor.

変われ! ヘッドマスター! Kaware! Headmaster!
    戦え! ヘッドマスター! Tatakae! Headmaster!

That's an awesome story Suspectimus
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Swung by Shellharbour today and it is the same as others. Everything has been moved to the front entry section of the store. A plethora of Star Wars and Marvel Legends stuff and Ninjago/Batman minifigs standing out among a random assortment of cheap toys no one wants. If you were in the market for a cot though some stupid mark downs, like from $700 down to $200. There were plenty of people taking advantage of that. In fact, I’d say that the Baby side of it was what was getting people in there and they were just picking up a cheap toy for their kids while they were there.

I bought a bunch of Ninjago minifigs for my son at 60% off.

I can’t see that store even being viable for the weekend. It’d cost more to pay the employees for the weekend then they would recover as they are selling at a major loss now.

Thus marks my final visit to the once mighty Toys R Us.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Galvatran Guest

To be fair unless explicitly notified of the missing accessory prior to sale, I would deem it as refundable as it is not fit for purpose. What she paid is irrelevant.

How she went about it is unacceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    While I was at the register today to pay for my basket, a women was arguing with the staff for several minutes about a pram she bought at half price, was missing an accessory, and she wanted her money back... despite a lot of signage in the last month or so saying that there were no returns if a product isn't faulty (which this wasn't, as it was only missing a detachable accessory). She was even told that she could make potentially double her money if she sold it off, as it was meant to be a very popular brand.
    I could seen another staff member (unrelated to this matter) had appeared to have recently been overcome emotionally... considering how empty the store was now, and that she probably had to find a new job (she wasn't young, so might have been with the business for a while, and her age would make it harder for her to get a new job, especially in retail where her experience lies), but here we had a self-centred customer, complaining for ages about a small "accessory" missing from an item that she had saved hundreds of dollars on.

There’s a lot we don’t know about this story, but I wouldn’t put it past people to get a refund then re-buy the item at further discount.

ONce a store is with administrators their goal is to sell everything. There are many consumer rights (like warranties and returns) they can no longer cover. You can contact the administrator about faulty stuff but you are now an unsecured creditor and would be the absolute last person to get money back. Hence the not honoring gift cards, no returns signs all over the shops.
    "I am not a gun. I'm hitting people with a hammer. On Mars."
    The Iron Giant / David Wildgoose

That was the point here - it was sold in the last few days, well after the signage went up that everything was now being sold "as is" (the customer should look over the product first before deciding to buy it at the discounted price), and only faulty items could be returned. We do that all the time at our furniture company, selling dented & scratched items very cheap "as is", with no returns or refunds, because it is up to the customer to see if it is worth the new cheaper price, and be stuck with it if find something else wrong with it later (that isn't significant damage, which we don't re-sell).

This Pram was only missing a non-vital accessory, that didn't affect the integrity or safety of the Pram, and the item was probably worth a few dollars of the several hundred dollars she saved when she bought it at half price.
    I just thought it was over excessive of this lady, making a big fuss when she didn't take the time to check over the item before grabbing it at a huge (greedy) bargain... while employees there were now out of a job, and wouldn't be in the position of splashing out money like this for a while.

All stock 70-80% off now according to the email I just got.

Can’t imagine there’s much left anywhere though.

TRU Fountain Gate now closed.

M-Bot's Customs logo by M-bot2011

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms
    While you're there, click the "LIKE" button!