Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chrome removal

Default Chrome removal

I have recently acquired a second Jetfire with the intention to get some Reprolabels to do a Macross/ decepticon Jetfire. As I have looked on YouTube for the removal of the chrome and have seen a few options, I am wondering what would be the best way of doing it. As we don't get the US cleaning products and I know that Hydrogen peroxide cleans yellowing plastic, what would be available for this application?

the torture of others sparks is music to my sensors!!!

Quote Originally Posted by crankcase76 View Post
    I have recently acquired a second Jetfire with the intention to get some Reprolabels to do a Macross/ decepticon Jetfire. As I have looked on YouTube for the removal of the chrome and have seen a few options, I am wondering what would be the best way of doing it. As we don't get the US cleaning products and I know that Hydrogen peroxide cleans yellowing plastic, what would be available for this application?
    Hehehe, you're doing what I did I ended up just spray painting over the chrome bits. I've heard that over cleaner works but which brand, no clue. I recommend you shoot a PM to M-Bot whose pretty knowledgeable with those types of questions.
    WANTED BOTS: G1: Horri-bull, Snarler, Mainframe, Chop Shop, Ransack CHUG: Spin Out, Cordon, Brotropolis Rescue MASTERPIECE: Acid Storm
    ENERGON: Six Shot

Thanks Chileno, will give it a shot.

Any oven cleaner will work. I've used Home Brand and Mr Muscle before. Spray the parts completely, put them in a sealed plastic bag or old take away container (to contain fumes) over night then wash in water. It may need a couple of applications. it won't damage the plastic at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Stug
    Any oven cleaner will work. I've used Home Brand and Mr Muscle before. Spray the parts completely, put them in a sealed plastic bag or old take away container (to contain fumes) over night then wash in water. It may need a couple of applications. it won't damage the plastic at all.
    Will try this as well if I can't get anything to get it off.

Bleach will work as well.

Concur with the oven cleaner suggestion. PM'd you with more details.

Good luck, let us know how you go.

M-Bot's Customs logo by M-bot2011

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms
    While you're there, click the "LIKE" button!

I've heard that simple dishwashing detergent can strip chrome off.

So as advised with the use of oven cleaner to remove chrome from plastic I tried it out, so after a few treatments with it I have completed the quest for chrome removal. As I have photographed each stage of the process to help out anyone that wants to give it a go.
    So I tried this brand of cleaner to start of with.

After first application this was the results of it.

As I had got to this stage I then rises off and cleaned with soapy water to ensure that it would not affect the plastic. After the second treatment I was surprised that it was working so well. So one last time to treat it would be the charm. And this is what I came up with in the end.

The only thing that I found with it is that you have to keep an eye on it and not leave it to long as it works really well, just as I had used all care their was a little residue for the cleaner in some of the smaller details of the guns that started to turn white. Which is either that I had not cleaned it well enough or the cleaner slightly does effect the plastic. But in the end I had a little flat clear paint that I use of other plastic models I paint to cover that over.

So with the test on the smaller guns done I decided to go all out and do the rest, and these are the best results I have from this. So I can decisively say this is the way to go, and with all care taken the results turned out the best with these ones.

I would like to thank all the members for the advise.

I only discovered it last year but Masters sells simple green