Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Complex/Complicated Transformations!

For my money, the trouble is that those Transformers with excessively complex transformations often aren't actually the best figures. However, there are some standouts. ROTF Prime and his combiner partner Jetfire are both standouts, as are the TF Prime First Edition Voyagers, Optimus Prime and Bulkhead. The Alternity line is pretty tricky, but the figures are so-so, and the same is true for Binaltech/Alternators. Unfortunately, what you'll often find yourself doing with these figures is trying to line up different parts and panels just so rather than actually trying to figure out the transformation. If you're just after a complex transformation then any of the figures people have pointed out in this thread will suit you, but if you want a good figure that has a complex transformation my recommendation is definitely ROTF Prime (and Jetfire, if you want to add a few more steps on top).

Yeah, Age of Extinction 1st Ed. Leader Optimus Prime is an example of a "panel-former" - i.e. tricky because you have to line up parts and panels, but the transformation itself is otherwise inherently simplistic. Age of Extinction is actually a fairly good balance of not-too-hard-not-too-simple; IMHO one of the best non-Classicsverse Voyagers to come along in a long time.

I enjoy Cybertron Soundwave but it is frustrating until you know the angles to transform the legs to jet.

RotF Mixmaster has funky arms but i have never spent enough time to remember the transformation if i play with it again a year later.

I agree on WfC Optimus Prime. It is overly complex for a deluxe figure but years later i find it a satisfying trial and error routine that gives enough clues to not reach for instructional help.

WfC Bumblebee is also challenging but imo not as satisfying as WfC Optimus Prime.
    "I am not a gun. I'm hitting people with a hammer. On Mars."
    The Iron Giant / David Wildgoose

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

RID Convoy and combine with Ultra Magnus. Have fun with this one.

Masterpiece Megatron was also a bit of a challenge.

Binaltech Grimlock is a great toy for making you want to throw things at the wall *and* proving that deep down you hate yourself and feel you deserve bad things to happen to you. It's overly complex to the point where it's not fun or satisfying.

And the sword it teeny tiny.

Two hardest transformations I've done are MP-05 Megatron and MP-09 Rodimus. It should be noted that both are fragile and break easily.

I must be othe only person in the world who likes Binaltech Wheeljack?

One of teh most reidiculously complex transformers I've ever fiddled with would have to be ROTF Voyager Mixmaster.

The Deluxe terradive is a good satisfying complex mold with two good modes, as mentinoed above.

It would help our recommendations if you further defined what you were looking for in complex. do you mean complex "so many steps the instructions should be in two volumes" or do you mean complex "busy but intuitive" or something in between.

It's certainly an interesting thread, seeing how different peoples opinions of certain figures differ.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    I must be othe only person in the world who likes Binaltech Wheeljack?

One of teh most reidiculously complex transformers I've ever fiddled with would have to be ROTF Voyager Mixmaster.

The Deluxe terradive is a good satisfying complex mold with two good modes, as mentinoed above.

It would help our recommendations if you further defined what you were looking for in complex. do you mean complex "so many steps the instructions should be in two volumes" or do you mean complex "busy but intuitive" or something in between.

It's certainly an interesting thread, seeing how different peoples opinions of certain figures differ.
    Don't get me wrong, I love BT Grimlock. He looks great in both modes and is an excellent example of what Transformers can be. But anyone that says that the transformation is easy, or even intuitive, is lying.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Love the paint job on Binaltech Wheeljack. Transformation was hard.

If you don't limit yourself to Transformers, i'd recommend several Macross toys for complex transformations. Particularly the recent YF/VF-19, VF-17 and VF-4G from Yamato/Arcadia, though they're not exactly cheap!