Thread: Air Base

Default Air Base

My son started playing Air Combat 6 recently and has started getting interested in fighters. (He is 7).

He had a couple of Matchbox ones that are available in the game so I decided to make him a little air base for him to play with.

It is made from some left over multi layer ply wood and pine off cuts.

I used a acrylic clear spray paint to protect the paint. I leaned the air base against a big block of foam when I sprayed it. When I was done, I was left with an embossed or 3D template. The clear spray reacted with the polystyrene and made it shrink where the foam was exposed. Never seen that before.

He was stoked when he saw it but the first thing he asked was where is the circle around the H for the helipad. I told him I had enough trouble painting the straight lines and it would confuse the pilots when they were taxiing.

That looks so cool!

Now i am an adult, the things my dad (or dad and i) made are some of my most treasured possessions or memories.
    "I am not a gun. I'm hitting people with a hammer. On Mars."
    The Iron Giant / David Wildgoose

I try and get him to help but he doesn't like how loud some of the tools are.

My dad makes these simple wooden plane parts and he helps stick them together but that is about all.
    He likes destroying hard drives with a hammer though.

Great work on both this and the wrestling ring!