Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: (JUNE-2013) Robots In Disguise Era Cartoon - Reviews and Favourites

Default (JUNE-2013) Robots In Disguise Era Cartoon - Reviews and Favourites

Robots in Disguise was a quick filler series for Hasbro, after the quick axing of Beast Machines. It only lasted a year, and was reworked from the Japanese series "Car Robots".

Details of this series can be read up here.

Did you watch any of the Beast Machines cartoon?
    If so, what did you think of it?

Any Episodes worth reviewing?

Are any of the episodes recommended viewing for others?

Anything were Sky-Byte was scheming against the Decepticons is always a good watch.

Episodes 14 Decepticons & 15 Commandos are great episodes

Episodes 24 Ultra Magnus & 25 Ultra Magnus Forced Fusion are also worth a mention.

This was the series that got me back into transformers. Optimus and magnus combine, do they form Kickarsimus Prime?
    Episodes? What mayza said.
    Oh and the fortress maximus episodes.

To be honest, story-wise, I think most of the episodes in RiD was boring and it generally lacked a compelling overarching story line. That said, it is still quite entertaining to watch. I loved the way that there are so many combiners in the series and it's the only series where I thought the stock footage of the transformations didn't get old or repetitive.

The latter part of the show improved greatly though, the plot where Megatron corrupts Autobot protoforms to form the Combaticons was great, and I loved how they explained why Scourge looked so similar to Optimus (and to play on that fact in the Fortress Maximus arc too). The first time Optimus combines with Ultra Magnus was amazing (I particularly love the "handshake combination, very unique aspect there) and unexpected. The ending was a bit disappointing in that Fortress Maximus just appears there and does nothing. I was hoping he'll go on a rampage and destroy everything and the Autobots somehow stop him.
    "sometimes the things you see might not be real and the things that are real you might not see"

All I can say is...

Whos the baddest shark around
    Whos the smartest shark in town
    Sky-Byte thats me!
    Who drives Scourge into the ground and never lets old Megatron down
    Sky-Byte thats me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DplkFnLBNCA

Can you buy this on dvd in Aus somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Autocon View Post
    Can you buy this on dvd in Aus somewhere?
    Not that I have been able to find. I had to import the box sets from the UK (jetix is the publisher)

As for the questions in this thread:

Did you watch any of the Beast Machines RID cartoon?

Yes the whole series

Not bad IMO - Decent story line, good comic value and easy to watch animation. Love the catchy intro

The Decepticons, Ultra Magnus: Forced Fusion, The two faces of ultra magnus.

Battle Protocol, The Decepticons, Ultra Magnus: Forced Fusion, Koji gets his wish (you will appreciate this more if you have watched the series from the start), The two faces of ultra magnus, Maximus Emerges, The final battle

Did you watch any of the RID cartoon?

I've watched a few episodes. I wasn't really a fan of it along with Armada, Energon & Cybertron. I guess I should give it more of a go.

TBA

Anything showing off the Autobot combiner teams is pretty cool

The series is aimed at a very young audience, and in that context it's a reasonably well made show. I'd recommend it for younger audiences; as for adults, it's not a bad show to watch - you just need to keep in mind that it is aimed at kids (and not at all aimed at adults like say Beast Wars). But it's not badly aimed at kids like say Transformers Go!. So I think it is still a watchable show for adults so long as you keep mindful that we're not its target audience. As Neil Kaplan says, there is something incredibly noble about Fire Convoy/RiD Optimus Prime transforming into a fire engine, because it means that he's a hero all the time; i.e. even when he's not fighting 'Cons, he's fighting fires and involved in rescue. In fact, the very first time we see him in the first episode is when he's disguised as a regular fire engine and is helping to extinguish a fire. And when he chooses to "break cover," he even excuses himself from the attending fire chief (who then freaks out that his engine just spoke to him!).

I watched the Robots In Disguise dub while it was aired on TV and didn't think it was terribly good... RiD has bits here and there cut out and has intermittent CGI stuff added in (Pred-o-vision?) which looked kinda daft, but nowhere near as bad as G2's Cybernet Space Cube.

Car Robot has really good theme music to it, both "Burning Overdrive" as the opening and "Marionette" as the ending. 2 weeks ago my daughter started combining lyrics from "Burning Overdrive" with the opening theme of Super-God Masterforce (we were driving and she started singing to herself in the back of the car ). The RiD theme is, what I find, a rather mediocre rendering of the original G1 theme and doesn't really sing about anything terribly relevant to the RiD series itself and just feels really generic.

FIRE!!

Car robots more than any series before or since reminded me of the Power Rangers /Sentai series. it was mostly formulaic for the first half to three quarters of the series. It started breaking the patter it had set itself when the Combaticons got a bit much to handle and with Magnus being Magnus, Galvatron getting his powerup etc, it got interesting quickly in the final 10 or so episodes.

Didnt care for the human side of the story at all.

RiD was very much a transformers comedy, especially in the dub, where I do not believe whether the producers themselves ever decided to play it serious or as a send up off Sentai style shows.

Some interesting ideas and concepts with combiners, factions and Skybyte that have not been replicated since.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)