Ozformers Transformers Club of Australia

Go Back   Ozformers Transformers Club of Australia (otca.com.au) > Beyond the Spacebridge (Non-Transformers Section) > Star Wars

Sightings/Sales

Old 8th January 2019, 01:06 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

What a coincidence I also watched this recently

Did I skip it at the movies? Yes
Did I borrow the DVD from a mate to watch it? Yes
Did I enjoy it? Yes
Would I buy it? No
Would I watch it again? No

For me it is a very much take it and leave it movie...
Old 9th January 2019, 09:57 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

My nine year old started watching this movie today... she wasn't terribly engaged by it. :/
I guess because much of the appeal is for fans of the OT ... it kinda runs off the power of nostalgic references and if those references don't mean much then I suppose it's not so entertaining. She did seem more interested when Han met Chewbacca, because obviously she knows who Chewbacca is. But many of the more subtle references just flew over her head.

Rogue One is also a fan's movie, but she knows enough about Star Wars to enjoy that. I guess because Rogue One only requires you to have basic knowledge of the movies, whereas Solo requires more in-depth knowledge like the significance of the dice, the significance of the blaster, what a Crime Syndicate is yada yada yada. But even for fans who know this stuff it's like, I get it but still meh.

As the Honest Trailer says, not everything needs an explanation!

Starring Bumblebee as Judd Nelson
Stuff for sale!
Transformers collection: 2230
Old 12th January 2019, 03:44 PM
Rank 5 - Dedicated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
My nine year old started watching this movie today... she wasn't terribly engaged by it. :/
I guess because much of the appeal is for fans of the OT ... it kinda runs off the power of nostalgic references and if those references don't mean much then I suppose it's not so entertaining. She did seem more interested when Han met Chewbacca, because obviously she knows who Chewbacca is. But many of the more subtle references just flew over her head.

Rogue One is also a fan's movie, but she knows enough about Star Wars to enjoy that. I guess because Rogue One only requires you to have basic knowledge of the movies, whereas Solo requires more in-depth knowledge like the significance of the dice, the significance of the blaster, what a Crime Syndicate is yada yada yada. But even for fans who know this stuff it's like, I get it but still meh.

As the Honest Trailer says, not everything needs an explanation!
That Honest Trailer is very funny but something it should've also mentioned is that children who grew up in the 70's, 80's & 90's we're not subjected to sensory overload via the internet where everyman and his dog is trying to be the next Lucas/Roddenberry or thereabouts.

P.S. "An explosion a day keeps Michael at Bay." Huh? Don't they mean "A Nolan a day keeps Michael at Bay"?