View Poll Results: BH VOY Optimus - worth buying?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 35.29%
  • Only if...

6 35.29%
  • Not worth it

4 23.53%
  • I'm not even interested

1 5.88%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Beast Hunters Voyager Optimus Prime Review

A fun toy although it's not that impressive engineering-wise. The truck mode is extremely disappointing in that the robot limbs just fold back behind the torso and... that's pretty much it. You can clearly see the legs and arms (since they're only partially covered by the wings), it doesn't have the sculpted details you'd expect of a truck apart from the cab (and even that, it's not too realistic).

The robot mode is where Optimus is a lot of fun. Love the Star Saber (although the blue plastic used on the Japanese version is superior, the green here seems tacky and ugly) and the inbuilt wings. What I like is that although his arms and legs are hollow, they've sealed it so you don't actually see the hollowness. Like others have said, the grey plastic is softer than you'd want which is odd.

Overall, a fun toy but not the best Optimus.
    "sometimes the things you see might not be real and the things that are real you might not see"

I bought this guy a few weeks ago, but until I got all stoked watching BH: Rebellion the other day (making sure not to give out any spoilers here) I had not gotten around to taking him out of the box.

Robot mode:
    *Not bad proportions, though not (whoops - that was a spoiler - better delete ).
    *AWFUL face - just give him his damn faceplate!
    *Not bad weapons

Vehicle mode:
    *Not as impressive as I thought it would be. From the pictures I had seen it looked like someone had crossbred a tiger with a human fist and then turned it into a truck with a close up trailer. Rather than this he looks more like a sort of weird spiky dump truck thing. I've seen worse, but not that many. It would have perhaps made a better 'Cybertronian Mode' version of him rather than his new earth vehicle mold. The cannons aren't too bad on the side, but the sword on the top just looks silly (as we prob all knew it would do).

Overall
    Glad I grabbed him as I do not intend to get many of the BH toys, and even then just those figures from the last couple of seasons such as Smokescreen and Dreadwing I had failed to get in the past (Will make an allowance for the Terrorcons though ) Optimus is the only character I already had that I decided to get again, but at this rate I think the Weaponizer version is better. Glad I grabbed him, but even gladder I only payed $39 and not full price.
    Last edited by BigTransformerTrev; 16th April 2013 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Was in danger of giving away spoilers

Follow me on twitter:
    @Kal_ElofKrypton
    @Soundwaves_cast

Thank God, I thought I'm not the only one who think his guns look like satellites

Quote Originally Posted by SMHFConvoy View Post
    Thank God, I thought I'm not the only one who think his guns look like satellites
    :P
    Follow me on twitter:
    @Kal_ElofKrypton
    @Soundwaves_cast

Got Transformers Go G-11 Hunter Optimus Prime today. Posted pics here. And I took a quick comparison shot w/ the Hasbro version at Kmart.

I like the fold out "I'm Batman!" wingaling thing. The colour scheme is also pretty nice, using metallic red and blue plastic (whereas the Hasbro version is flat). It also has a darker shade of grey than Hasbro's. The yellow headlights on the Hasbro version has been replaced with orange, and the side windows are painted dark blue to match the transparent blue chest windows. Overall this version looks similar to the Hasbro version, but with metallic coloured red and blue plastic and more darker/subdued highlights. The eyes are transparent blue which will appease fans of show-likeness, although I think the green on the Hasbro version looks a bit nicer as it better offsets the blue helmet. Never been a massive fan of blue eyes on Optimus... yellow would be the best IMO. :/ The clear blue on the blade of the Star Sabre looks really nice too. The missile launchers have a more unified dark grey compared to Hasbro's "two tone" greys. So overall the colour differences (aside from the greens) are fairly subtle, but work significantly to improve the look of this toy. Sadly the faux-wheels on the inside of the legs are also unpainted on this version. I was really hoping for TakTOM to pick up where Hasbro dropped the ball on highlighting this part of the mould, but alas they've fumbled too.

However no cosmetic change can cover up the flaws of the mould, which others have noted previously on this thread too. Some things that bug me include:
    + The claws sticking out from the stomach. Looks ridiculous and gets in the way.
    + The shoulder pads don't lock at all.
    + The transformation is rather underwhelming. As christalcase said, the limbs pretty much just fold back, and as SMHFConvoy said, in relative terms the Commander Class is actually better designed. The Commander certainly has a significantly more clever transformation scheme and alt mode (it manages to have an 'empty' trailer section looking like it could carry a load, whereas the trailer section of this toy is just the arms!).
    + NO AUTOBOT INSIGNIA!!! It's bad enough when Hasbro does it, but this is really disappointingly out of character for TakaraTOMY! The Commander Class toy has a tampographed logo, why not the Voyager?!?

One positive thing about the mould is the shoulders; they lock in a _whole_ lot better than on First Edition Optimus Prime! But could still stand to be tighter. :/ Overall I'd only recommend this toy if you _really_ want it and you can get it for under RRP.