View Poll Results: Worth buying Takara version?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hell yeah!

2 33.33%
  • Maybe if...

1 16.67%
  • Nah, not interested.

3 50.00%

Thread: Toy Comparison Review - Hasbro vs Takara IDW Orion Pax and Megatronus

Default Toy Comparison Review - Hasbro vs Takara IDW Orion Pax and Megatronus

Hasbro vs Takara IDW Orion Pax and Megatronus

Hi everyone, this is my first comparison review, so hopefully it’s okay. I’ll be comparing the transformers Hasbro generations IDW versions of Orion Pax and Megatronus to the Takara two – pack version, TG-25 Orion Pax vs Megatronus.

I apologise for not including the in-package pics, I was so keen to get these guys open on both counts that I never even thought I’d be comparing and reviewing them.

Next to packaging:

Minus packaging:

Firstly:

Orion Pax

The first thing you’ll notice is the shiny metallic red paint job on the Takara version compared with the flat red paint job on Hasbro. The pictures don't do it justice unfortunately.

The second thing that jumps out is the clear blue windscreen on Takara versus the clear windscreen on the Hasbro.

Slightly less obvious is the difference in the shades of blue used on the Legs, hands and head. The Takara version has a slightly lighter blue shade compared with the Hasbro version.

The grey plastic on the thighs and upper arms is darker on the Takara version.

The Takara version includes silver painted (erm, I don’t even know what to call them, the bits that hang off his arm and become part of the rear of the alt mode). The Hasbro version has left theirs the unpainted grey plastic they have become famous for when representing metallic parts.

His energon axe is a lighter orange on the Takara version, and they have taken the time to paint the handle a metallic grey colour. It’s quite a nice touch, although personally I think the axe for the Takara version would look better with the darker orange of the Hasbro version. Hasbro have chosen to paint their handle black, and it’s almost translucent in parts. It’s not bad, but the metallic grey handle does look a bit better.

There is no difference in his gun from what I can tell.

Now:

Megatronus

There are two differences that jump out immediately: firstly, Takara have taken the time to fill in most of the “M”s on the figure with a dark energon purple. This really makes the figure stand out and is much more true to his comic counterpart. The second difference is that the Takara version does not have the glittery black (sorry, metallic flaked) paint job that the Hasbro version has. I’m still torn as to which I prefer, however I don’t think the dark energon coursing through Megatronus would look that great against the speckled paint job.

His iconic gun is more of a red-purple on the Takara versus a straight purple on the Hasbro. In darker lighting, it may look red on the Takara, however once you get it in a decent amount of light, the purple aspect of the colour is enhanced. In fact, the Takara colour catches the light much better than the Hasbro version, believe it or not.

The Takara version has eliminated the purple hands, waist, upper shins and arms of the Hasbro version and has chosen blacks and dark greys in their place to make the figure look much more imposing in my opinion, and definitely much more accurate to the comic.

The light piping in his eyes, although not obvious, maintains the same colour as the weapon in both versions.

Summary

In both figures I also noticed that the ball joints are tighter in the Takara version, which is brilliant for posing.

Overall, in my opinion, the Takara versions of the figures are far superior to their Hasbro counterparts. They have nicer paint jobs and greater attention to detail. However I would recommend picking up both versions, if nothing else for the comic that is lacking in the Takara version. The Hasbro verions would be great to have on your desk at work, and are fun to play with, without worrying about damaging them. Or you can keep the comic and give them to your kids while displaying the Takara versions.

Wow, the TakaraTOMY versions certainly do look better. I don't care about collecting the in-pack comics because I already have the original versions. I just got the Hasbro versions cos they were cheap ($16 each before shipping).